I need a few suggestions

Hello there people!

I've gotten my hands on a crappy keyboard with MIDI out....

Are there soundcards that have MIDI in capability built right into the card? If so, which one(s)? If not, what do I do from here? I'm 100% lost.

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-

any other random tips?

Guest spiralix

Almost all sound cards have built in midi.. its the same as the gamepad port! just get a midi adapter...

Anyway, a regular soundblaster card has midi on it!

Guest lifeform

if you got usb on your comp. I suggest you get a midiman midisport 1x1 or 2x2.... 1x1 should do you fine. it's only 45 bucks. Some sound cards have midi built right in... i've went thru a few of thse in my time and always thought they were crap. Sounblaster is not professional it's for computer games, not pro music making. Audigy is getting there... But not yet. If you gotta mac go for a Quadrasport... 2in/2out and midi.

I mentioned this before but,

get an "audiophile 2496" $230.00 (USA) instead of a soundblaster.

They are not as fancy but much higher quality.

Worth every cent.

No cheaper solutions Entity?

I'm only 20 years old, working an $11.00/hr full-time job and paying for school as well....

Trying to get cheap stuff for starters, then if I can even make a decent-sounding DEMO I'll start hitting the more expensive stuff.

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-

hopefully in under 2 years I can release something...... but it may take longer

I was in a similar situation as you are now when I got my sound blaster Live Platnium.

The sound in that Sound Blaster was good, but the MIDI latency was terrible.

When you hit a key on your midi keyboard, there is a pause before your computer plays the sound. That pause is the latency and it is bloody irritating.

I can't recomend something cheaper, but I ended up having to save and get the audiophile 2496 as I started to use more MIDI.

Cool, man. Thanks.

Since it is indeed very important (I will end up hooking whatever recording device I get up to my soundcard as well), I will probably go with something that expensive... It should be worth it.

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-

thanks again for suggestions!

If you're short on cash the audigy isn't too bad...

It doesn't have a built in midi-controller that can accept multiple midi connections.. Only the gameport midi connection (which supports midi in, out and thru).

That's usually acceptable though if you're not running more than a midi-controller, one external synth and your software.

If you're happy with working at 48Khz 16Bit or 48Khz 24Bit its allright (It's not a true 96/24 Card though and you'll experience some latency when working at 44Khz, just because of the silly way the card is set up). If you're using applications with ASIO support such as Cubase or Reaktor there's virtually no latency... Theoretically you can set it down to 2ms, but I usually run it at 7 or 10ms.

If you can afford to save for an Audiophile or simmilar proffesional soudcard, go for it.. But the Audigy will litteraly cost you half the price of even the cheapest cutdown pro-soundcard. You may well have to upgrade later but in a case where money is short, if you don't go for a cheaper sollution sometimes you never get started. I'm using an Audigy at the moment, and have had no limitations as yet as to what I can do with it. (I wouldn't recommend any other creative product though ;))

After more thought.... I'll definitely save up and go with a more "professional" route - this is one of the most important components of my set-up, since I will be very computer-oriented until I can buy a rack-o-cheap-bullshit.

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-

once again, guys. thanks for the help!