Sound Card

Guest Phaedrus

My next hardware question -

I am looking for a cheap (under $100) sound card for my PC that has stereo inputs on it for recording. I want to be able to record my mixes onto the PC without having to use a stereo~>mono converter/Y-cable.

I know that for my price range I cannot get a professional card, thats not what I am after, just something that I can record my mixes so I can listen to them later.

Thanks for all the help,

Bill

Guest psychopat

Hi Bill !

I think that all modern soundcards have a stereo input connector. Since this is a jack connector, you will probably need a dual RCA connectors --> stereo 3.5 jack connector to connect your mixing desk output to the soundcard.

You will also need a sample editor like SoundForge, Wavelab, CoolEdit or something like that to record a long mix.

The quality of the sound will depends on the quality of the embedded Analog/Digital converter.

Try to adjust both the line-In record level and the output level of the mixing desk to avoid clip/distortion but using the maximum range allowed (peak at -2/-3db are OK)

good luck.

Guest Phaedrus

Thanks for the info!

Yeah - all the cards I have seen have only the "mini-jack" (the size of a small headphone jack) input connector on the back, so you would have to use a "Y-cable" than translates the L/R RCA connections down to that mini-jack connection. Are you saying that the adapters keep the mix in stereo as opposed to converting it to mono?

Thanks in advance!

Bill