About dynamics in mastering

I heard That The Delta is cutting of Frequenzies below 70 hz in their mastering of the track...?

is this true? And is this a good way of getting rid of low bass sounds wich only muddens the feeeling of the track!!

Gimme your thoughts!!

=) PEaCe!

Guest Slidingtrancer

all frequencies below 70 hz..

Isnt the bass range between 30 and 60?

It would be stupid to do that when you want to have deep subbasses to give your song an extra groove. I think Delta songs have deep subbasses so i doubt what you are saying...

I would cut those down, compressing and gating is the key :D

IT was just something i've heard from some guy.. just wanted to know if there was any truth behind this story.

and.. i could have a much stronger compression on the bass when i got rid of the frequenzies below about 50-60 hz..

Guest Slidingtrancer

Hmm then you just had lowpass hiss in ur bass? ( I never had THAT b4)

Could be possible, everyone likes different production.... in his songs. I like lots of bass and a little treble :D

Anyway, he may have meant to cut out high frequencies, when I hear a song like Pop from the Delta I don't really hear too much lower freq...

Just my two cents

I just filtered out the lowest frequenzies in the finished version of my track. then i Compressed the whole file, .... all with standard effects in Nuendo. dynamics, Eq's and compression.. well i only have headphones at home.... but i gonna take the song with me and listen at it with in my friend's big stereo ;)

the dude said something like this:

"A tip is not to have anything under 70 Hz in the "End production" even if it can sound cool with monsterbass home in the Headphones/monitors.

ex. Delta doesnt have anything under 70 Hz in their productions.

Guest Slidingtrancer

Hmm weird, I wouldn't cut it those low throbbing energybasses out even if someone would instead hit me with a banjo..

( try to make sense again, you'll get the weekend out in this mental home)

Anyway, I used to have only headphones, but now I have both near my computer and I really don't want to do without. I use em both, but vice versa the way you do.

I first make it on speakers, then listen on headphones....

Guest vasyachkin

ok, i measured bass frequencies in cooledit for Astral Projection and Pleiadians. The strong fundamentals in their kick are between 37 and 43 hz. Pleiadians have it more prominent and lower 37-40 and that is why their kick sounds awesome on good speakers.

Infected Mushroom goes down to 11hz (but the amplitude at 11 hz is only about 1/5 of full) This is ridiculous though :))) because stuff below 20 hz is inaudible, and stuff below 30 hz is barely audible.

i suggest that 40 hz is the optimum frequency for nice phat bass when played on good speakers.

Maby your friend got it wrong. Using a 70Hz HPF doesn´t mean that you remove all frequencies below 70Hz it just means that the filtering starts (-6dB) at 70Hz. Maby he heard that The Delta uses a 70Hz HPF and asumed that meant cutting of frequencies below 70Hz?

Guest vasyachkin

by the way, when pro equipment comes with subsonic filters for the purpose of increasing power handling and reducing muddiness, those filters are at the highest at 45 hz; never 70 hz. And yes, its -3 or -6 db at 45 hz not minus infinity :)

"Hmm weird, I wouldn't cut it those low throbbing energybasses out even if someone would instead hit me with a banjo.."

hehe, comment of the month ;)

well, as i said, it was only this guy who told me this... he could be full of S*** .. =)

i really dont know if he meant, using a highpass filter...

anyway, thanks for the replies, folks!

u know any other magic tricks for the mastering? ;)

Guest Tranceptor

Does anyone has a mastering problem considering it has two sound good two ways: headphones and speakers...

I can make it killer on those two systems, but I don't seem to be able to sound em good on both, anyone got some tips?

Guest vasyachkin

i don't think you're supposed to make it sound good on both headphones and speakers, just on speakers.

i know that most people have good headphones but bad speakers, but still, that is THEIR problem i think

Guest Slidingtrancer

Hmm, anyone got the APS live drivers? I have a problem with them. I only have sound in one speaker and the speakers works fine....

It must be something in the mixer, can anyone help me ... ?