Help!!!! My Cubase is weird!

Guest Eshanti Brahman

Hi!

I am soooo frustrated. When I choose the Creative Emu10xAsio as ASIO Device under Audio I/O in Audiosetup I have a latency on 2ms but everything starts to crackle. Its just this huge crackling noise that I hear and its impossible to use CUBASE when I am having more than a couple of VST's running. I read somewhere that it might be related with incorrect PCI-bus settings in the BIOS g but I dont know where to go and fix it. Have any1 experienced the same problem? The sound is like when your speakers are over-fucked :-((( Now I use a ASIO Multimedia driver as ASIO device(?) and its has a 750ms latency!!!

Buuuuuu...I would appreciate some help.

Thank you

oh yeah,I have SB Audigy Platinum

Guest Mike Indidginus

Computers eh? I had problems running Cubase on Windows 98 with my Delta 66 soundcard at first, and it took me weeks to fix it. I found that changing the vcache settings helped with the snap, crackle and pops. These can be found by entering "msconfig" in Run (found on the start menu). I'm trying to remember this from memory so it might not be 100% - if you are still stuck I will check on my PC at home tonight and tell you exactly. The vcache folder can be found in the system tab I think. You can enter a min and max cache value here (both should be the same - I know it sounds weird but it is more efficient that way). I found that to get the figure for this, I had to multiply my RAM amount by .256. This all sounds very random I know, but it took me ages to get anything to work and this was the only thing that did. If you ask anyone about vcache settings, the responses you get are likely to be "what?" or they will be very vague. Also, you can try disabling audio in Cubase when you first open up your song file, and then re-enabling it. That sometimes helps. Um, I found that the soundcard should only share a PCI with PCI steering. The fix for this is also very random. What you have to do is move your soundcard to different PCI slots and then start your machine to see what slot it has been allocated to. If it's got a number of it's own you could be on to a winner. I hope this helps. I know what a b*****d computers can be sometimes ;)

you can try this too.. go to the audio system setup in cubase and go to the AISO control panel and increase the AISO samples per.. then the latency will increase a bit but those annoying sounds will probably disapear..

Guest mowgwai

i heard about lots of problems with Creative cards (Live and Audigy) and cracking noises. It should however do it no matter what driver your using but do you get the crackling noise when playing games or listening to CD etc or only in Cubase.

Try different PCI slots on your motherboard like suggested and see if that makes any difference. If not then perhaps update the actual windows drivers for the sound card.

Guest Eshanti Brahman

thanks for your help guys!

no,the problem is only when using Cubase. The sound is good when playing movies and cd's. Yeah computers can be bastards sometime :-))

Are you actually suggesting me too change pcislot in the motherboard or "tower" as we like to call it in Norwegian?

Thanks and wish me luck :-)

Hmm... I don't beleave that the problem is wrong pci slot... if you can play one VST Instrument without crackling but you can't play 3... isn't that obvious that your computer/soundcard just simply can't handle so many synths at the same time.

But I don't mean that you can't fix the prob... try to do what Ralih said... increase the asio buffers so that the latency will be something around 10ms... that gives more time to computer to handle all your vst synths. And like I said also increase pre-roll.

:)

Guest Lifeform

hey i'm having the same problem with my cubase. I thought if i upgraded to 5.1 which did would help out cause i'm running win xp, but it didn't really. I have a Delta 44 soundcard, would it help if i turn the DMA Buffersize to 28 milliseconds instead of 3 milliseconds?

Also, now that i'm trying this right now. My card is locked to 24 bit sound.. Cubase VST doesn't support 24 bit does it? isn't that what cubase 32 is for?

Guest Elysium Project

Guys and girls.....Once again for all :-)))

Music production are not meant to be made on PC's running Windows.... Windows have never been intended for music production and programs such as Cubase...

Have you ever seen a professional studio with a PC running music programs...NO !!! If yes then that studio is not very professional :-))

Music production is far better and 100% stabile on a Mac.

Mac's are made with the purpose to make music (and graphic production).

I know my head will get chopped off now but you will always encounter such problems until you buy a Mac. :-)) Good luck...

Guest lifeform

Elysium Project. i dont have 3000 dollars to blow on a mac. and if these programs where not ment to run on pc then why do they release pc version? answer me that...

Guest Elysium Project

That's a very simple answer: Money making!!! There's way more people with a PC than a Mac...so they converted the code in the programs to PC.... simple....

Cubase and Logic was originally intended and developed for Mac.

If you as I know a little bit of music production versus computers you would know that Mac has always been the no.1 computer for music production. Nearly everyone I meet tell me that they have some kind of problem with their PC (no matter how expensive it is) running the sequence software..... from sync problems and midi problems to complete crashes.

By the way you will not meet many artists in this scenen that use a PC.

Guest lifeform

Hey, i'd have a mac if i could afford it no doubt. I dont disagree with you at all. After i get done paying off my car i'll probably get a mac and midi sync it with my PC.

I'm sure my cubase will work good on my pc, atleast alittle better than it does now cause i can't even write anything cause it ends up freezing 2 minutes into my programing. and i can't even run Attack, it sucks. I dont know how to fix it. I've tried all these methods above and they aren't working! Even got the very new driver for my Delta 44. Anymore suggestions would be nice.

Guest combeferre

I'm pretty sure that your problem is the low latency, your pc just can't handle it. As said above increase the buffer size or number, get the latency to around 8-10ms should stop the crackle but leave you with decent speed.

get off your high horse Elysium Project....the guy asked for some solutions ....

we know you love your mac you tell us every time some one has a problem with

their pc.....we know macs are for studio use but as upcoming artists some sacrafices are made aswell some use their pc for other reasons aswell for games and other progs and mac just doesn't come to the party... but i will tell you this much i have a pc and it is solely for music and it runs rock solid and it cost me $1800-00 more money for me to spend on other hardware i wouldn't have it any other way....and i know of others who own macs and have problems just like pc owners....pc is just like a mac once configured well and has all the right hardware it will run rock solid.....

$5000 - $1800 = $3200 well look i can go but myself a lovely synth.....

Guest Elysium Project

mk I do not agree with you but hey it's your opinion..... and I am deffinently off my high horse are you??.... anyway it was a ironic comment not an attack.......

I know you weren't attacking him....i just feel sometimes that you are quick to knock people because you are a producer and you have to be right,,,right.....

eg: pc's v's macs, when i was last in astrals studio i didn't see all that gear,

mp3's v's cd's etc...

but one thing you said is don't believe everything you see in this forum...

exactly i don't cause i have seen living proof that pc's can work just as good as macs.....

win98,asusa7a266,amd athlon, and gina sound cards rock solid..

infected with a pc

dark soho etc etc etc....

my local dealership who do testing for echo sound cards with pc's and windows operating systems....the fact is usually people use cracked versions or new beta versions and will have problems......

but hey who is gonna believe me i am an amateur and you are professional

by the way i don't ride horses i

ride little ponnies...less of a fall when you fall off.....

Guest Elysium Project

Well I am not always right but when I am right i will speak out.... And yes I know my stuff when it comes to Mac's and PC's.....

I am nnot knocking people down as you say... I am trying to help people with my experiences... but hey maybe you rather like that I did not help anyone???

About Astral I can only say what I have seen.... I have now known the guys since 1995 and they are close friends to me..... but hey if you rather believe someone else then fine with me.

As for the mp3's vs.Cd's .... that is purely a question about me as an artist defending our rights to make some money out of our hard work... I can't see how I am knocking anyomne down when I claim that it is wrong to steal music...

Guest Elysium Project

Oh I do actually spent most of my time making music and graphic design..... The reason why I post often is that I have a 24/7 line on my mac... so it is very easy to take 5 minutes breaks and post something..... anyway gotta go back to work :-)))