contest/vote/128k

Guest psychopat

Hi all !

I was wondering what to do with these 128kbps tracks

submitted for the contest.

I haven't finished making up my mind about all the tracks yet,

but I've got four 128k tracks in my current Top 10.

some considerations:

- the contest rules specified at least 160kpbs

- I know we can tell if a track is good even at 128kbps

(the real-opposite is true too ;-) a "not so good" track at 256k

remains a "not so good" track)

- the final resulting compilation sound quality would be better if all songs are encoded at high bitrates.

I read somewhere/sometime on the site (I think it was Children but not sure) that a 128k track will not be part of the winners.

I would like to know your opinions on that.

proposition: We can make our mind on the current uploaded versions, but winners will have to upload their 160/192k track version to be on the compilation.

Question for producers:

Why didn't you upload a 160k encoded track(s)?

a- "I never read any rules" ;-)

b- "my encoding software only allows 128k max" :-(

c- "I keep the good version to trade/have something

in exchange (unreleased tracks)"

d- "I'm afraid a label will release my track without asking

me"

e- "I'm afraid to hear my track being played at a party"

psychoPat

Guest Protex Midget

I doesn't really matter IMO, because 128kbps is CD Quality.

So i don't understand why the tracks must be in 160kpbs.

Anyway, If children see's this post, I am sure that he will agree that it is okay if some of the tracks are 128kpbs. In-fact, I think that for the next contest, the rules should be that the tracks are in 128kpbs Maximum. That way, it will be Easier to download all the tracks. Because if every track was 1.5MB less, then all together, the tracks would be about 300MB less!!!

Protex Midget

Guest Pswede

Aargh...

IF there will be a COMPILATION CD out of this contest LET THE ARTISTS send their CD-R's or full WAVE-file instead of shitty mp3-quality.

Guest Francis

yeah if there is any compilation cd i think that every artist should send a cd or anything else a wav or whatever because if u whant it to be sold and people know its mp3 wich could be got for free on the web page ... thats a wreck !!! hehee

and i dont know for the other but for myself i would work a bit more longer on the mastering of the track ... take more time aboute EQing and make it sound better ... even make a better version than available on the contest page to give a reason to buy the cd !!!

Guest Slidingtrancer

320 kpbs is more like it :D

The distinction of a normal ear fails to recognize soundquality differences between 160/192 kbps, that means a difference between 128 and 160 is audible and thus, in the light of the contest, trax should be at 160 kpbs.

Guest psychopat

"For the moment, we think we'll propose a compilation with all the tracks which won the contest on this website (provided that you permit us to put your track here)"

taken from the contest rules.

So I think the compilation will be a downloadable one.

So, what is the difference regarding today? Only 10/20

tracks will remain on the psynews (???) web server. We can

not occupied as much MBytes on Sphongle servers for ever ;-)

And (despite what Protex Midget might think) I really hear the

difference between 128k/160k and would prefer make myself a

CD with the contest winner tracks @160k.

I don't think a real CD will be made. It would be too difficult for Psynews webmasters to manage such a project.

psychopat

PS: I found the previous messages I was refering to and I was wrong (sorry), Children stated that songs <128k can't be part of the winners.

"Author: hogus (---.is.co.za)

Date: 09-10-01 10:27

According to the rules the tracks need to be between 160 and 192Kb.

I've seen a lot of 128kbit tracks have slipped in, there was even a 48Kbit one.

Unless it really grabs me I won't be paying much attention to anything below 160Kb since part of the points scored with me are going to be production

quality. Certainly a track thats not as well produced but shows a lot of innovation may easily win me over, but I'm looking for something progressive in

the music. Something I that I'd like to hear at a party or in a chill room. And for that I really need to hear the track, not just fuzz."

" Re: SUGGESTION FOR CONTEST DOWNLOADS (for children)

Author: Children (---.cegelec-red.fr)

Date: 09-10-01 13:05

Well Tracks may be in 128 kbps, but Tracks below that rate can't be part of the winners for sure ...

"

Guest pesito

try encoding at 128, then at 160 the same song and u will surely notice the difference... and in big equipment the diference is more evident

Guest mkay11......

to me it is quite noticeable to who has used hardware and sortware and for that matter between 128 and 160kbps the quality difference.....if you have a nice clean track at 160kbps it flows without much distortion or overbearing bass or treble....but for people who have used software and minimal other equipment anything over 128kbps the bass or treble looses it....so far i have down loaded 68 tracks and slowly working my way through playing them against each other leaving them in a playlist waiting for another track to reach the top five.....and what i have found whether they are 128kbps or 160kbps if your track is good enough and clean enough you will make it......

all in all there are some nice tracks and talent around but i ain't gonna name no one till the fat lady sings so good luck everyone.....

mk@y11........