f'ing cubase problems...

hi all... i'm not sure many of you use a mac as your computer, so there may not be any point in asking, but I will anyhow.

My problem is when a track starts to get a little complex (4 or 5 midi tracks at once), the sound just cuts out completely... The midi out signal keeps going, the output bars keep moving and the timeline keeps moving along. I notice that my "cpu" bar in vst performance is right up at 60%, even before I play anything, and then when a couple more midi tracks are introduced, it goes upto about 90% and the little orange/red light on the right hand side flicks on... After stopping the track and waiting about a minute, I can see the light go off, and the performance reduces back down to 60%. I am only using VST instruments (usually about 6 per song) and usually chuck one or two effects over each instrument).

I am sure the version of Cubase I am using is fine (my mate has the same copy and works fine), and I have come accross the same problem over two different machines (so it's not the hardware either). I am running a G4 400, sys 9.1, ova 500 MB ram... So I shouldn't have any problems there either...

Please post suggestions, as I'm really getting annoyed and cannot wait to be able to get more than 30 seconds of a fucken track down.

Thanks,

didge

Guest Elysium Project

I use a the new G4 2x800 Mhz and I have no problems using Cubase...

I also had problems when I was on a 466 Mhz... So I am pretty sure you need a faster machine..... VST is very dependant on CPU power...

Guest mkay11......

didge could it be combination of cpu and latency????

not sure myself had the same problem but new it was just the cpu in my laptop...

can't wait for my new comp...

gives aline if you want to catch up...

thanks all for the valid responces. I have, since fixed the problem, and it was a particular VST instrument in particular that was munching all the cpu... as far as 400 mhz not being fast, it is probably comparable to a 900 mhz pc (mac are much quicker than pc's). For anyone interested, the instrument was the vstxsynth... just did away with it and everything was fine.

Mkay11, I have no number to contact you on... but I have been meaning to do so. I have a track almost completed, ready for the contest... Before I up it tho, I'd like a little input if you wouldn't mind. Hows your red babe?

she's pumping....decided not to enter comp...this time around

gonna enter when i have something i know is gonna kick and is mostly

hardware....

got tax return and bonus.....

buying either behrinnger or mackie mixer in the next week or so......

new pc being built as we speak 1.3,two 40 gig (rev-ing off their dial),512mg,gina soundcard.......

can't remember the board and graphics card but powerful and quick....

my mate who is in and out of uni with comp's is building it he knows the in and outs of them all...he knows exactly what is needed to have everything processing at such a quick rate for music making.....

ring me on 94214505......