Mixing methods

Hi everyone !

Talking about Mixing method :

Could U tell me if U mix like the House-Techno method (i mean, mixing 2 tracks together in order to make an unique sound or mixing during the "nappes" (Xcuse me but i don't known the english word !) i mean => during the "calm" moments...?)

and.........how many people uses to mix Cds instead of Vinyls........

& What sort of mix do u prefer ? (creshendo, unmixed, etc,etc...)

thank U !

DaBast

am no dj but I like my music pretty much beatmatched all the way through,a nd done so that you cannot really tell where one song ended and the other cuts in! Tho I think beat matching with the real old sound must've been pretty hard with all the effects taken inoit account!

Guest Flying Kundalini

I usually beat mix with CD's if its 138bpm+ however if I want a specific track to follow another and I can't get them to sound right I will occasionally mix with the "nappes"... or if a track starts with great atmosphere or a great sample ( such as salvia divinorum ) I'll mix it like that instead.. depends on moods ( of crowd and/or DJ )

BomS

i mix with both cd and vinyl...changing doesnt present a problem

with vinyl i always beat match...cd 95% of the time, b/c flying k. said, mix in the nappes when there are cool samples or atmospheres

i think it comes down to what the two tracks are sounds like, there intros and outros...you can mix one nappe with beats, when the beat kicks out a new sound in the nappe is introduces, then boom! the beats in both tracks kick in

How long are your beatmixes? Mine are at top 30-45 secs, because there's too many layers in the music I mix, so it's hard. Some time I just break, and let it flow strong!

Guest Flying Kundalini

totally agree Raider.. tracks that you can beatmix for longer than a minute don't occur very often.. they have to sound pretty similar.. GMS tracks beatmix well for this amount of time.

Guest Psymijis

it depends on the psy style you are mixing for example minimal , sounds better if you beatmatch and you create 1 sound with two tracks , but full psy sounds better with atmosphere because of the great samples or beatmatching fast (fast changes) .

Someone told me that psy sounds better with cds and progressive sounds better with vinyls anyway i mix with cds .

I've also been collection a lot Tip World records and GMS-alike tracks, and it sounds great when beatmixing, because the sounds are very similiar. But with older stuff like Hallucinogen, it's hard to beatmix... though very cool when soundmixing.

Guest [tom jaimz]

I mix off CD - preferably Pioneers. I can't mix well on vinyl, but this is because I've never had a pair for any length of time, and I don't have any vinyl anymore [i buy vinyl, then burn it to CD and give the vinyl to friends].

I prefer to spend at least one to two minutes in the mix for all my mixes. Anything less than this doesn't please me. I used to encounter the problem of too much going on with the more complex tracks, but if you learn to use EQs properly you'll find long mixes with complex tracks can make everything sound a lot better. One of my close friends sometimes mixes three tracks at once, which is admittedly a bit hit and miss, but can often sound really good.

Most of the older Goa tracks can't really be beatmixed properly, but this is mostly because they weren't really made with proper mixing in mind.. one of the reasons I like the newer sounds a lot more.

People have to keep track of the energy flow in mixes. Often tracks are designed with energy in mind, and will be structured to reduce the energy flow toward the end, which is why I think it's very important to have another track well under way when the previous one is finally mixed out.

Thank U very much for all yours answers !

i'm begining in Mixing and it's very usefull to have several opinions !

I've tried to Mix different Trance (minimal & psy /goa) and it's obvious that the mixing style have to change with the type of Trance.....

I' ve got a better idea of how i'm gonna make my future mixes !

Thanks again !

& as we said in France : @ plus ! ;-)

Guest bugbread

I personally prefer stuff not to be beatmixed, because I don't like the same phrase/rhythm repeating too long (I get bored). So the old goa stuff is great: starts and ends with ambient beatless stuff for mixing without constant drums.