v/a Mental Case [Beats & Pieces] (review)

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

Mental Case (Beats & Pieces)

Tracklist :

1. Vibrasphere – Purple Floating (Cosma remix)

2. BLT – Clear Vision (Psycraft remix)

3. Onyx – Red Meat (remix)

4. Electro Sphere – Blanko

5. Rinkadink – Kabooki Boom

6. Exaile – Experience

7. Evil Drug Lords – Resonnance

8. Nes vs Mr Peculiar –Graffiti

9. Zen Mechanics - Have a Good One

First release from this new israelian label hold by Shahar (Isratrance) & Dj Gabi .

Mental Case starts softly with a morning clash between the scandinavian kings Vibrasphere & melancholic israelian prince Cosma on Purple Floating remix, such big names on the paper won’t dissapoint anybody.

When Blt & Psycraft get remixed by each other, the result is interesting (remember of Floor remix by BLT), if i was labelmanager i would make them work more frequently together & i would sign them for a common album.

Onyx brings a bit of psychotic pressure, Red Meat has a special soundscape that will fit to the ones who have enjoyed PTX - POS 51 i think.

Electro Sphere delivers a strange track, i don’t like it, for me he just fucked up this one.

Rinkadink, arg, oups, things become serious here, short but intense , strong chocolate tasty ; the guy konw how to turn one’s head.

Except the normal Shaffel trademarks, Exaile have embellish their tune with several cartoonish sound effects samples which contrast with the furious electric guitar riffs & the global dry, dull ambience.

Evil Drug Lords have decided to catch you another time with their hypnotizin & melodic night fullonish skills & they ‘ve succeeded one more time.

No pity for your few healthy neurons left, Nes & Mr Peculiar will take a special malicious care of them, it could be strongly possible that neurons suddenly become endangered species in your brain after listening to Graffiti.

If you have escaped this mentally showckase up to now, you have meritted some more peacefull tune delivred by Zen Mechanics but be aware there’s still some tricks in it that could reveal lethal, even for me this track is one level under the 4 previous ones.

When you buy Mental Case, think also about strait jacket’s preventive purchase before taking a rendez-vous with Pr psychiatriast Lokovkin.

Major Mental Devastation tracks by order: 8,7,5,1,6,3,2

8,5/10

• 1 year later...

A few not so interesting tracks aside this is a very interesting full-on release. On the downside, Electro Sphere's and BLT's tracks doesn't really rock my psychedelic boat. The former is some sort of minimal full-on and the latter proto typical full-on. Also Exaile falls through, though they got a great sample going: "In a few moments you will have an experience which will seem completely real". Mkay ... the bass DOES seem really boring!

The rest of the tracks, however, ranges from okay to smashing :) !

Nes vs. Mr. Peculiar and their "Graffiti" is my favourite, a full-on tune but with a great melodic part and a dark edge forcing you to go deep. Awesome dancer! Evil Drug Lords' Resonance follows this line of thought. Dark full-on with a vibe and long repetitious sections. When you gotta work with full-on like this, it is so rewarding! Closing track Have A Good One by Zen Mechanics closes the album in style, though being a track more building up than delivering, it might have suited better as an opener.

Finally, Rinkadink enters with his trademark full-on, i.e. full of ideas, energy, and different sections, all with personality. This South African dude is the guy to watch!

With the less interesting tracks this baby feather lightly touches the 3/5 stars bar, but the rocking ones here easily makes up for the purchase!