04. 08’03” Game & Watch

05. 07’38” Let Us Be

06. 07’43” The Stars Within Us

07. 09’48” Jukebox

08. 09’06” Made To Move

09. 08’05” Colours

Review:

Step two of a four-stage rocket!

Finally it’s out… The album we’ve all been waiting for. The release of the “On Air Remixes” EP last month gave us a mouth-watering foretaste of what was coming… A full album from the talented wizards behind Sweden’s biggest trance-export: Marcus Henriksson & Sebastian Muellart a.k.a. Son Kite. They’ve moved into release-concept territory with their ambitious “Colours” project, consisting of one album, two singles and a live-DVD... Very impressive! So, let’s see what the hype was all about…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: Let’s start… Pay close attention to that Son Kite whistle – it’s the first and last thing you’ll hear on this album… The whole album is one big loop! ;o) The intro is long and lukewarm… Slowly it progresses, FX are added… Water, wind, violin, percussion, calm voice samples… and then bam! The smooth, groovy, crispy Son Kite baseline… Fast kicks and hi-hats are added creating chunky grooves leading to pure bliss… Amazing track!

#02: The album is mixed, so we slip almost unnoticed into track two… The progressive groove continues here – the intro is sweet as candy… And then, an almost exploding bass grabs you… The bass is just so deep and brutal, but at the same time sweet and almost sexy! @ 6’00 the pace quickens and all hell brakes loose – A dark, mean, wall of bass-groove rips the track in half and slowly builds it up again… Holy phuck, this is good… Overwhelming track!

#03: Pheeew, time to chill for a short while with the intro from last year’s summer-bash “On Air”. Allow me to copy/paste from my previous EP review: A very cool, floating, dream-like intro sets the mood… Someone hits a piano-key about 5-6 times, low voice-muttering samples in the back-ground, someone talking about radio – basically we’re just chilling out, having a good time… And then, at 2:22 the infamous Swedish progressive baseline cuts thru the silence like a scythe… This is the true essence of trance; razor-sharp percussion, beautiful synths, wonderful melody… And a build-up @ 5:15 that’ll annoy the hell out of you the first time you hear it, but after a few listens you’ll give in to the sheer genius that is On Air! So get your damn hands up in the air – this is a magic track!

#04: “Let’s go back upstairs” … We mix smoothly into Game & Watch… But something’s changed here; it appears the kicks are harder and the bass is less polished… What gives? For a second you want to sound the cheddar-alarm, but no worries… Although this is the most full on sounding track on the album, it’s a sweet track that in no way compromises the groove… Hypnotic morning trance ala Son Kite! Nice track!

#05: Ahh let’s take a trip back in time… Somewhat distorted melodies accompanied by a melancholy feel… Plus we get lyrics & vocals by C. Brink and M. Kratz… It’s not Michele Adamson standard, but very nice nevertheless… Also good use of stereo here… Nice track!

#06: Go fly a kite – into the world of electro crash! Is progressive electro psy even invented? Well, it is now… We get the best of both worlds here… Old school kitschy computer sounds and classic robot voice box – combined with massive progressive rhythm patterns… Look forward to the sweet, sweet build-up part – can’t wait to hear that at a party… Electro acid flash! Lovely track!

#07: Put another dime in the jukebox baby… Ambient intro … Just relax and float downstream… A subtle drum pattern is introduced… More delicate effects are added… The beat is slightly cut… The old Chicago warehouse techno atmosphere is present… And then: “Rhythm… rhythm… rhythm…!” A repetitive, simple voice reminds us that this is rhythm… Thanks! This is a very minimal track – and even a tad too minimal for my taste. It is funky however, especially for the last 3 minutes… Ok track!

#08: After a long fade we progress into “Made to Move”… And this is a bouncy piece for sure… Focus has shifted back to percussion now, and we are treated to some cool steel oil drum beats… And yes the rumours were true; there is a definite Trommelmaschine influence here… And it sounds great! It’s a very danceable, tribal, progressive tune… Nice track!

#09: The last track starts and ends exactly like the first track… The infamous whistle or whatever it is… What a nifty feature! This is a slightly slower track, but still so unbelievably groovy… All kinds of psychedelic bleeps and blops, birds whistling, water dripping… Beautiful melodies mixed with a distinctive wiggle-your-toe Son Kite beat… Sweet track!

Woow, what a trip! This album is truly an experience… Epic trance at its best! A true journey showcasing the immense talent of the Son Kite guys… As I’ve said before they continue to distance themselves from the vast majority of trance labels – both production-wise and concept-wise! As always with Digital Structures the visual art is striking – great, tasteful cover art…However, I dislike the cardboard wrapper around the jewel case – what’s the point with those?

Style wise this album embrace several electronic genres… It ranges from old school techno and house to cutting edge modern electronica… I like most of it, though there are tracks which doesn’t really scratch my itch… It is however miles ahead of the bulk of electronic releases nowadays…I’d even go as far as calling this a milestone album – instant classic! Get this or be left out!

9/10

Favourites: 1(!), 2(!!), 3(!!), 6, 9

DeathPosture

External links:

Son Kite: www.sonkite.com

Digital Structures: www.mpdqx.com/digitalstructures (Audio samples available!)

Psyshop: www.psyshop.com

Saiko Sounds: www.saikosounds.com

Chaos Unlimited: www.chaosunlimited.co.uk

Trance-shop: www.trance-shop.com

For info on the vinyl release check out the Digital Structures site…

Guest Templar

A copy-paste thingy of my review from Isratrance forum:

Son Kite - Colours (Digital Structures, 2004)

Tracklist :

1. Other Side 9:37

2. Focus 8:58

3. On Air 9:36

4. Game & Watch 8:03

5. Let Us Be 7:38

6. The Stars Within Us 7:43

7. Jukebox 9:48

8. Made To Move 9:06

9. Colours 8:05

It was about 3 p.m. ... the mailman finally arrived. Hooray.

Never left my CD since...

... and I must say that this is some fresh music.

Before the main dish:

The cover... or should I say the packaging of the album is green as it should be (mine is with an autograph from Seb & Marcus - thanks guys!), concerning the whole "colour" theme - so far we've had a blue single "On Air" with the title track and it's remixes on it, now this. The month of May is going to be red - a Son Kite DVD... and a second single (brown) is far on the horizon. I pull out the CD - the design cover resembles the promo posters, which are indeed nice. Then, on the back of the cover, I saw two men flying a kite. The whole scene brings back the good ol' memories from the times when we were innocent children; I'll bet that many of us had an experience with kite once... sniff, sniff :)... anyway, it wasn't the end of surprises, because when I opened the CD-cover I noticed a Son Kite sticker. Kewl. But wait - there's more! The booklet of the CD contains - apart from text about the concept of the album, tracks, thanks, etc. - some fine pics of our two musicians from Sweden. I must admit that it reminds me a lot of the booklet of the first Tromesa album, which is, again, a really positive thing.

(for those of you who may wonder what am I talking about here are some infos - before the "Pseudomental" album Tromesa had two albums called "Gdyby" (Polstar, 1997) and "Pasma Czasu" (Polstar, 1998), which were released in Poland only).

The main dish:

The music... Gotta hand it to You guys (aje, russ, Deathposture and others) that You sure did a good job on writing Your reviews... Don't know if I'll add something new to Your descriptions though. Right now I'm not in the right mood as far as describing the individual tracks is concerned, but I'll definately do that in the nearest future. So far my favourite tracks are 1 and 4. As it goes for the fourth track, calling it Astrix as aje did here would be a real blasphemy :). If I were to compare this track to some other artists' work, it would be definately Deedrah - one couldn't ask for a better recomendation when one think of Frederick's musical talent. as i've said, my favourites tracks are track 1 and 4, but then again this is after I gave the album only two listenings, so it is very likely that things are about to change. :) Nevertheless a real piece of good music to enjoy and dance to. Some of the tracks are bound to be rocking many dancefloor, not to mention giving a lot of pleasure in home with headphones on one's ears. That's about it... for now of course. :)

Thumbs up for Sweden!

Antic: if You still have any doubts, then don't - buy it! :) Greetz

Guest rx7style

Hmmmm, I would be wary. I wasn't nearly as impressed with this album as previous Son Kite -- it's decent, but not an instant classic, that's for sure.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest solar fields

1. Other side

This track start off with a buitifull intro with a percussion groove that slowly fades in. When the kick arrives you fell totally the groove. YOu can feel in the music that this is the begining of the journy.

2. Focus

It starts up with a more deeper groove. Realy great bass-groove. The beats is building up prefectly, adding adding, small steps. Excellent break at 6:00 and after pure bliss.

3. On air

Oh yeah ! again, As i write before "This is really really superb stuff. Fresh sounding and new thinking as u can expect from Son Kite. " This track is growing more and more. And the break stills amaze me.

4. Games and Watch

Here we have a little different track from the rest on the album. More full on groove. Great melodies. I need to here this in a big big system. Maybe in some weeks when u come up here in Gothenburg : ).

5. Let us be

Here i feel a little vibes from perspective off album in the beggining of the track. After some minutes of pumping groove, small harmonic melodies is building up with a distorted female vocalist, le bon bon superbe : )

6. The stars within us

Starts of with nice a guitar thing here thats evolve into to the groove. What is the voice saying at 4:09 ? can some one help me :) After the little break here all is kicking in again. Can only imagine what happens in a live sett :)

7. Jukebox

This is my favorite right now. its so much groovein this tune. Cant sitt still when im listening. With a superb groove build up and some small vocal samples that gomes with the beat. I dont now if this is i meant but it feels like the first vocal sample start like some milliseconds of the kick and it makes it all more groovy. I get some early underworld vibes somehow here also. This track is just grooving as long u come in to the track.

Andi realy like the pitching down at the end when it crossfades in to the next track.

My favorite right now :) amasing track.

8. Made to move

Heavy pumping with great percussion work here. Tribal groove experience :) Great great.

9. Colours

Perfect track for ending the album, its like for me a mix of all the trax togheter with small elements and feeling from the other 8 tracks :) The music ends up with same sound that the hole journy starts with, lovely.

I give this album 10/10 for sure. This is totally fresh and this one is a really big masterpiece. sound quality and mastering top quality as always from son kite and hihatstudio. The package superb.

This album will last for a long long time. I still discover new things in it all the time : )

Superb good work Seb & Marcus.

Now im waiting for the next colour again. And i can promise what after i heard on the intervju with son-kite on the swedish international radio the DVD will be amasing.

Respect !!!!