Bill

dreaddean-monochromatic-300x300.jpg

Dreaddean

Monochromatic EP

Tribal Sphere Records

Tracklist:

1. Space Cadet

2. Monochromatic

3. Open Tribe - Baglama Jam (Dreaddean Remix)

I'm becoming a deep admirer of this English producer. On his full-length Patterns album he came up "Yajamahe," an essential listen for any full-on fan. On Monochromatic he takes Open Tribe's patiently unfurling but too-slow "Baglama Jam" and injects it with straight adrenaline and walks away with a better piece of work than the original.

The list of Dreaddean tracks on my iPod is steadily growing.

Of the sparse three offered here two are keepers. "Space Cadet" is sample-heavy, detailing government experiments on in-field troops with psychedelics and some of the results. It's a familiar and entertaining sample but I like the morning-time vibe of this one even better. A warm and groovy track overall.

I don't dislike "Monochromatic" because I can see how this could work on the dancefloor. Blitzed and filled-up with party vibes where critical thinking is the furthest thing from your mind the monotony here would work to keep things moving along nicely. Unfortunately, for at-home listening, it's a bit dull.

Dreaddean's remix of "Baglama Jam" keeps the sitar sounds from the original (the best bit of the original, incidentally,) and injects pure adrenaline into the BPMs. It's a winner and one that has been on steady rotation since the EP was released a week ago.

Monochromatic is a nifty little EP from a very good full-on producer. Looking forward to the next outing as there's definitely space reserved for him on the old iPod.

Available for free play or download at Ektoplazm

• Like 1