Raise flags - Chapter 1 (France Goa trance - Psychill artists)

chaoseed9

I believe that every country has a characteristic sound that stigmatizes the musical evolution. This is due to start a tribute to some of them. What i want from you, is your opinion (for the artists and groups - not only what i write), but also on the scene of the country then and now.

FRANCE in Goa trance: Transwave (and sideprojects: Absolum, Elixir, Kaledoid, Lagoon, Deedrah), Total Eclipse (and sideprojects: The Antidote, Typhoon), Virtuart (and sideprojects: Underhead, EA1729, Karamatix 767, Jaffa Project, Asia 2001 (has many sideprojects) Jaia, Blue Planet Corporation, Spectral (Moog), Amanite FX, Section-X, Deflo, Bamboo Forest. Will do! Not to say all.

FRANCE in Psychill: Asura, Aes Dana, H.U.V.A Network, Cell, Hol Baumann, Suduaya, Akshan, Sysyphe, Squazoid, Toires, DJ Zen, Tajmahal etc.

French scene is one of my favorite.

French scene : tiny, but incredible.

It is a feature of French culture. Since I live in the country I can understand it better : in France, mainstream culture is divided into two kind of products :

_the culture of the elite, meant to be boring and unreachable.

_the culture of the mass, meant to be tasteless.

The only contemporary brilliant pieces of French art expanding worldwide have two features :

_it is art made by people in contact and produced with foreign countries

_it is an art relying either on foreign culture (curiously enough, France has a poor cultural background, then the artist feed on other cultures : America, Japan, etc.) or on new technologies (comics, video games, animation : we're very good at it, because since it is not part of the elite or mass culture, we are not bound by social conventions and can create with much imagination).

This especially applies to Goa culture in France : a tiny underground scene relying on contact with other cultures and new technologies (synths, softwares), with international network, released on foreign labels, and including ideas and influences of other cultures.

That's why all we produce in Goa/Psy, as well as in other (really interesting ) cultural areas is at the same time rare and awesome.

TL;DR : French have poor imagination except when it comes to nationally unrecognized niches based on innovative perspectives. In those niches, French are excellent. It especially applies to Psy/Goa in France.

• Like 1

I find it to make common points between such different artists as Crossing Mind, Total Eclipse and Asura.

But thinking about it, there are two French characteristics :

_emphasis on the retro side of Psy

_emphasis on the futuristic side of Psy

They are always very careful when it comes to design a track, and very attached to the atmosphere and the spirit of the track. Yes, they like witty/spiritful Psy IMO. It seems to me that French artists think of a psy more like a mental experience than a dance music.

Then, this would explain the global quality of the scene.

You want appreciation for the artists : they are productive, they are not lazy, they are extremely entertaining, and they are cautious of delivering a good product.

My personnal favorites : Asia 2001, Akshan, Suduaya, Asura, Toï Doï, old Jaïa. All of those have a unique signature, that make or made them avant-guarde. (edit : I forgot to give love to PharaOm, Khetzal, Crossing Mind and Merr0w^^ : contemplative and serious trance music)

We do agree.

I was just trying to explain that quality. -_-

After all, we are the Zidane of the Psy-scene.

Bonus : unreleased psybient made in Suduaya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAQUiEtZ7-o

I think it sums up well the French spirit. Creative and mental.

My favourite by Suduaya :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE18Op91h_k