Artist: Procs

Rotwang

Artist: Procs

Date: 2013-07-26

By: Lost Theory

Procs is an experimental psychedelic artist from Sweden associated with Lost Theory Records and Sanaton Records. We are glad to host him on this years edition. We wanted to share some inside information about the man himself.

02.png

- How did you came up with the name Procs?

Well, just before the first release I was gonna do with Shpastic Elastic (VA Scrambled Heads) I didnt really have a project-name I was fond of. Id used a couple of different ones over the years and well, me and a friend were just sitting there, looking at some newspapers and such. We saw some words similar to procs, and started changing the letters and rearrange it a bit untill it looked like a good combination and sounded nice when pronouncing it so it doesnt mean anything at all actually ;)

- When and how did you discover the psychedelic trance scene & what was the first party you played at?

My older brother used to go to this nowadays infamous club in Stockholm called Docklands in the early 90s and I think around 95 he introduced me to a couple of records that year, Distance to goa 1 and Hallucinogens first album. I got hooked.

I was already making music with this old sequencer, and immediately started trying to imitate what I´d heard. Then I went to my first party-experience the next year and I kept making music. The first gig was at this smaller party outside of Stockholm in 2000 (I dont remember the name though) and it went ok.

05.png

- Who are your favorite musicians? Can you give advice for beginners?

I listen to all kinds of music, so I guess Im just a music-nerd. I love good music, it doesnt come down to genres. 
If I had to list some favorites for psy/goa, then I would say Rip Van Hippy, Ubar Tmar/Uvantam, Ollie Olsens different projects (SWM for one!), AOA, Pelinpala, Haltya, Koxbox and X-dream are all fantastic. Simon Posford has of course done some exceptional stuff. And well, there are loads of artists who have done some good stuff so I could make a loooooong list.

As advice I would say listen to others and try to replicate things you like for learning just dont rush things! Try to find your own voice after this and evolve that own voice! It can take years, but let it be that way and find your own expression! Try both making and listening to all sorts of music, dont be afraid to play around and experiment, dont always listen to all the people who tell you how its supposed to be done.

- What is your opinion about Lost Theory & how do you feel about coming to Croatia this summer? Do you have something special prepared?

I Haven´t visited LT festival before but Ive heard so much good stuff about it. Its gonna be super to be a part of it! There is a really nice diversity in the lineup for all stages which is something I whish more festivals would offer!! just super!

I always do something special ;) For the procs-set i will for sure do some of the last album-tracks again, havent really gotten that one out of my system yet ;) For the stellar ink pony set (the experimental stage) I will just try to give a presentation of what I am doing with this project.I can promise you all an interesting ride!

07.png

- How would your perfect festival look like?

The vibe of the people is of course the number one thing. But I guess that emerges from how things work around the festival, everything is connected!

It´s nice when you can have a festival-experience without having to fix stuff all the time, so its good if the infrastructure is working properly to get a comfy stay. Then on top of that I really enjoy if there is room for some new and interesting music, experimental stuff (which LT looks like to have this year to me). Good music is the key and openness to that music is necessary from the people. Im sure that that will be reached if you get a good atmosphere going!

- What are your biggest influences?

Well, all kinds of music of course, from old Swedish revue-music from the beginning of the 1900s to jazz, blues, classical, breakcore, idm, exotica, and whatever etc can get me inspired! Hearing sounds, and playing around with synths, trying stuff out can be very inspiring, or just a good mood sometimes is inspiring enough!

- How is living in Sweden?

I guess its very nice and everything works so smooth here. At the same time it can be rather dull, not really many colors and people in general arent that openminded about music and alternative culture it can be quite grey. At the same time Sweden can be very beautiful, both summers can be fantastic and wintertime when you get lots of snow can be magical. I really love all the seasons, but the winter could perhaps be a bit shorter ;)

se-01.pngse-02.pngse-03.png

se-04.pngse-05.pngse-06.png

- Do you use any hardware & what software platform you use to make your music?

Ive been using Logic since many years back. The software is fantastic nowadays, I have a favourite-pack of softsynth which is fxpansions Dcam synth squad. Logic also has its own built-in synths, which are actually very good, I still tend to use the ES2 a lot actually! Then I love Metasynth from uisoftware as well.

Hardware stuff I have a Roland jp8000 that is collecting dust mostly, then an Oberheim Matrix-1000 which I really love although its a bit slow to edit! My collection also has a Roland Juno 106 and I just got this Moog Sub Phatty which is probably gonna end up in all my productions from now on ;)

- Your music is very special, did you had any musical education? Do you play any instruments?

I played classical piano when growing up. But, well, when I discovered sequencers and started writing with that that took more time, so I wasnt the best in practicing during the later years. But I still think that it has influenced me for sure a lot. So, yeah, I can still play a bit piano, but its not something to brag about anymore ;)

03.png

- Can you describe your music in 3 words?

Natural, clown, painted.

- What is the treasure of your dreams?

Feeling total bliss and harmony and how to reach that point I am still searching ;)

- Do you think there is still some light in the psychedelic scene or it will die slowly?

I actually think there is some light now,which has just been appearing last 2 years or so! In my opinion it seems like more and more people are interested in alternative music and these last years I have seen much more diversity in musical styles on the line-ups! And this is so important, for me when I first got in to goa-music I thought it had something new and willingness to experiment and that is really needed now when everything is just starting to sound the same. So hopefully this trend will continue.

08.png

- What is the album that you are most happy with and why?

The first was more a collection of earlier works. It had some tracks that were really outstanding in originality which are some of my favourites still, but I think it also had some really shitty ones. The flow wasnt really as it was meant to be since it was more of a compilation than a thought through album.

The second one was more noisy and circusy, which that I really like and I think it has a better flow aswell! It really reflected that period of my life very very well. I love it!

But well, the last one is the one I am most happy about and guess thats probably also cause its now and that is how I am in my head right now and want it to sound right now. I like the quirky melodies of it and I think it has a good diversity as well as a good flow all through it.

And its fun as well, making myself smile and hopefully others and bring some happiness:)

04.png