D-Dave - Pleading Insanity (Schlabbaduerst Rekkords,2011)

Time_Trap

D-Dave - Pleading Insanity @ discogs

Buy @ Bandcamp

Posted Image

1 Jofahjälm 6:36

2 Seriekrock 4:43

3 Bodydub 7:46

4 Kulspel 7:29

5 Defcon 1 7:43

6 Completely Operational 8:41

7 Pausmusik 7:47

8 Pretty Hardcore 5:59

9 Materialsport 10:05

For those of you that do not belong in the "Schlab freaks" category, D-Dave is the alias of David Tingsgård from Battle of the Future Buddhas.Until recently he had only released one track as D-Dave,titled "Completely Operational" and released in Schlabbaduerst Rekkords Vol 5 (the one that was intended as forest music).Completely Operational is also included in this release.

Most of the tracks here have been produced around 2000 with the exception of Bodydub which was made this summer.All tracks except for Bodydub and Completely Operational have been converted from DATs.

David's own short description of this album is:

It's not BotFB-style, it's more raw, more industrial, almost techno-ish, yet with melodies but produced "wrong"

Although David himself claims that this release is very different from the BotfB sound I find some similar traits,mostly in the melodic elements where they exist(eg Pausmusik) or some trippy use of voice-like sounds(eg Jofahjälm),the way basslines are shifted shortly and then back to default,or general structure/style (eg Defcon) as well as apparent use of chorus/flanger and phaser effects.

However despite certain resemblances this album is much more hypnotic than your average BoftB,it's generally a bit simpler pattern-wise,maybe with 1-2 layers less and certainly less melodic overall although groovier(eg Seriekrock) and more rhythm-oriented(eg Bodydub).

I am pretty much satisfied with the production,it's raw and unique, Schlabb-style.Hence if you are used only to modern full-on,prog and "darkpsy" cleansed,polished,modern hypochondriac productions I think this one will seem strange or even wrong to you.However I still find it cleaner than most Schlabb releases,maybe because the music is less overloaded and therefore more breathing space exists.

Let's try a track by track review.

Jofahjälm contains trippy synth-voices and a weird shrunk bass which are trademarks of this track.

Seriekrock is characterized by a strong kick that seems loud at first but then is integrated smoothly in the oneness of the track,accompanied by a very low-freq bass and some mid-bass with a mid-freq edge.

In Bodydub we come across some pretty nice rhythmic patterns as well as trippy chorus/flanger'ed and/or phasered sounds.

Kulspel starts with crazy,fuzzy sounds constituting some sort of melody and the whole track goes on to build up based on it.The vocals added after a certain point give the track an even trippier touch.

Defcon resembles Demonoizer material quite much IMO.

Completely Operational is a track many of you are familiar as it has been released in Schlabbaduerst Rekkords Vol 5. This track has a very characteristic kick pattern you don't come across often in other psytrance.I am not sure but it sounds as some delay and/or reverb effect has been applied to it,then I again I could be wrong(David should shed some light here).Anyhow,this track has been in my favourites off Schlabbaduerst Rekkords Vol 5 for quite a while, along with Ripoff by L.A.B. and Iris by Ka-Sol.

The melodic elements in Pausmusik after 3:10 as well as the general production style remind me a bit of Twin Sharkfins.Most melodic track of this release.

Pretty Hardcore starts pretty minimal, focusing entirely on drums and the bass until some leads and effects come into play and gradually make things more noisy.

Materialsport sounds like disco music on mushrooms.Sorry but I fail to describe this track =P

All in all,if you are a Schlabbaduerst Rekkords fan you should definitely check it,if you haven't already, and I

believe you won't be dissapointed.If you haven't heard anything else from Schlabb,do so,and

if you are rather indifferent give it a try because it might be different than what you expect.

Buy here

Favourite Tracks: Seriekrock,Kulspel,Completely Operational,Pausmusik

Rating:8/10