4. Sithartha

5. Trolls Woods

6. Main Tittle

7. No

8. Mirrow Monk (with Alienapia)

9. Luga Wood (with Alienapia)

10. Three

11. Outro

Space Baby Records is responsible for the Alienapia classic Goapocalipsis so they are definitely a label to watch. Their style can be dark and quirky as evidenced by the Magic Dew compilation. This is Averin Andrey from the Ukraine and he wants to guide you through his nightmare. The cover is awesome, one of my favorites this year as it fully describes what you are about to get yourself into.

Intro- The intro track is full of tribal chants and mystical sounds. Bass drops precipitate a slow beat with shimmering synths shooting across the sky. Well produced it sounds as if I were in the middle of the forest witnessing some other worldly ritual. Great way to begin!

Har Har Mahadev- Tribal (you will be seeing that word a lot) drums usher in a very deep bass line and rapid fire synths. Chopped up chants rain down as an eerie melody creeps forward. Eerie like the aliens have landed in the American Southwest on a sacred Indian reservation. That is the story it tells to me, that they have arrived and sitting upon a high bluff overlooking the vast desert, they are deciding their next move.

Scotland Trolls- More eerie sounds fly from all over the place with a...oh no he didn't! Are we bagpiping it? I love how the bass shifts with purpose. The bagpipe melodies are short and sad, floating atop forest sounds in the wee hours of the morning. Easy to see trolls with this background...

Posted Image

No not that kind. Jeez, we get it, your parents didn't love you....get a girlfriend. And notice the ICP T-shirt to complete the white trash ensemble. Get used to the words, "would you like fries with that."

Good brooding track.

Sithartha- More deep bass rumbles with spooky melodies and effects as this monster crawls to the surface. I don't really like the 20 to 30 second revving of an engine sound as it killed all flow, but...it's only 20-30 seconds. Plenty of time to recover. And so it does, with vocal manipulations and scrambling bass. This track is really hard to define...is it dark, or deep forest, or the soundtrack to some horror movie. Maybe all three.

Trolls Woods- More trolls? This track already feels warmer, not in happiness, but in thickness. Scary melodies echo off the moss covered trees. Tribal percussion marks its sacred territory as fluorescent lights tease. The pixie dust is heavy here especially with the female vocal telling you everything will be ok only to be followed by a heavy wall of sound revealing the lie. Weird.

Main Tittle- With a fighting scene played out synths and effects whirl around thin melodies. Squirts and flying things plants us deep in forest territory. Where everything is...not what it seems. Atonal melodies reverberate in true forest style, going where they please. The end is unique as it crescendos as if it were a scene in a movie. Another very spooky track.

No- Bubbling synths hover above a bass line and distorted voice rumblings. Weird again. Leads wail disintegrating all hope that you may ever get out of here. Whispers taunt the ear, speaking of victims that came before you. Metallic sounds slice the air with a multitude of effects and a delicate synth melody perhaps shows a way out. More darkness, but enjoyably so.

Mirrow Monk- The next two tracks perked my ears up a bit as our friend Alienapia lends a hand. Right off the bat you can hear his melodies, along with the Shpongle vocal exercises. The bass line rages and leads from...out there take over. Ahhh, there is the Alienapia stamp. Other worldly goa melodies float about along with a piano melody. Still weird. And take it a step further, the stabs...Definitely unique.

Luga Wood- Oooooh I like this intro...light steps in a forest..and a warning. Cue deep bass and eerie melody above bubbling. You can pick out Alienapia's melodies in a heartbeat. The atmosphere is rich and thick with melancholy as a female voice sings and tones twinkle. More deep forest culture as trolls and pixies lurk around every massive tree trunk. The tribal drums are a great touch and who stops a track near the end for a Capella singing...so unique and fresh sounding.

Three- To continue with the WTF theme, a light melody ushers in a pounding kick and deep bass line. It ain't long before the creepy melodies plunk in and that feeling of dismay or disorientation is there. Tribal drums, sounds of forest creatures, it really is all very dark and unnerving. But I love it. I can hear the trolls laughing at my predicament, with no place to go. This is like a child's fairytale gone horribly wrong.

Outro- "Millions of people take Ayahuasca in the Amazon. It is the largest psychedelic religion on Earth."

Was this dark, and demented experience all a dream or the result of some ancient medicine the shaman gave me to calm my nerves? Whispers penetrate my delirium as I hallucinate in slow motion.

This one really is hard to define. I mean, do I want my music to make me dance, scare me, or tell a story of a race in another time? Perhaps all three. First off I guess I would have to say this would not be the first thing I would reach for. There are melodies but not the kind you can really dance to. That being said, I do find it interesting and it was great home listening. This music mirrors the album cover. It is dark, mysterious, and evocative of fairy creatures and forests so thick that you feel you might never escape. Alien sounds are everywhere as is this feeling of tension that you are being lead down a path and that you have no control. He really has a talent for creating a vivid atmospheric journey. If you are in the mood for a dark, forest-like experience, then this is very unique. It really tells a great story, in true supernatural horror movie fashion. I enjoyed it, but I caution, you have to know what you are getting in to.

Psyshop

Beatspace

Saikosounds

Mdk

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really digging this album actually. :)

It's sort of like a mix between Enichkin and Fragletrollet. It has the 'atmosphere' of Fragletrollet, with the rapid fire 'speed' (not bpm) of Enichkin if that makes sense. I don't think it's quite as good as "Playground of Spirit" (by Fragletrollet), but still a great and unique album. :)

This is definitely a a very strange take on psy/forest/whateverthehellitis. One moment it sounds like a relatively straight forward track, then 10 seconds later it's something completely different. Lots of breaks that form in to new ideas and atmospheres.

As for the melodies, I think they are great. Somewhat subtle and layered, rather than emphasizing one particular melody. There's no obvious "lead" melody most of the time.

I agree the tracks with Alienapia are probably the best, but the other tracks are still very good, and extremely psychedelic. It's hard to find psytrance that is actually psychedelic nowadays, but this delivers big time. :D

Nice review by the way. You are on a roll lately and I'm loving the comedy in the reviews. :lol:

Nice review by the way. You are on a roll lately and I'm loving the comedy in the reviews. :lol:

Thank you very much! I'm glad you like them. Who wants to read a wall of text? I would rather try and make people laugh.

If you guys keep liking them, I will keep writ..errr...typing them.

Mdk

• 4 months later...

pretty uneven album IMO... the first 6 tracks are completely worthless IMO, very random and nothing particulary involving. BUT then comes No with a really funny voice sample going E-E-E-EEEE-E for some reason that remained stuck in my head for a few days lol and overall the track is the best on the album. Then come the 2 collaborations with Alienapia which I presonally consider to be the new gods of psytrance. Hmmm well... the tracks are good but I was kindof expecting more. So overall I'd say this isn't worth more than 2/5... interesting but you won't be missing much if you give it a pass IMO