The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

Trolsk

The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe (probably most known for his book The Right Stuff) is Essential reading for anyone interested in the history of modern psychedelic culture, hippies and the origin of rave parties.

The book is a biography about Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters. Author Ken Kesey (most known for One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest) partakes in a CIA controlled drug research project at Stanford University (MK Ultra, not known at the time the book was written) and is given LSD amongst other drugs. Kesey experiences amazing things under the influence of the drugs and decides to travel all over the USA, promote LSD and throw parties, until CIA labels him the most dangerous man in the USA.

Highly (no pun intended) recommended reading.

I'm gonna check this one out. I'm intriged by the fact that most of the more popular illegal drugs like LSD and MDMA once were legal and designed to help people in recovering from their disease.

Pretty obvious why the American Government made such a big deal out of it: They (still) don't want anyone to think out of the box: Certainly not influencial people like doctors, writers,...

I'm gonna check this one out. I'm intriged by the fact that most of the more popular illegal drugs like LSD and MDMA once were legal and designed to help people in recovering from their disease.

I think it's an exaggeration to claim that LSD and MDMA were designed to help people recover from disease. However, some psychologists like Timothy Leary and Richard Alpert (aka Ram Dass) saw a therapeutic value in LSD.

Pretty obvious why the American Government made such a big deal out of it: They (still) don't want anyone to think out of the box: Certainly not influencial people like doctors, writers,...

You're going to love this book.

The intro sample used by Hallucinogen in LSD is Ken Kesey speaking about LSD: "I believe with the advent of acid. We discovered new ways to think and it has to do with piecing together new thoughts of mind. Why is it that people are so afraid of it? What is it about it that scares people so deeply? Because they are afraid that there is more to reality than they have ever confronted. That there are doors that they are afraid to go in and they don't want us to go in there either because if we go in, there we might learn something that they don't know. And that makes us a little out of their control".

"I believe with the advent of acid. We discovered new ways to think and it has to do with piecing together new thoughts of mind. Why is it that people are so afraid of it? What is it about it that scares people so deeply? Because they are afraid that there is more to reality than they have ever confronted. That there are doors that they are afraid to go in and they don't want us to go in there either because if we go in, there we might learn something that they don't know. And that makes us a little out of their control".

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's an exaggeration to claim that LSD and MDMA were designed to help people recover from disease. However, some psychologists like Timothy Leary and Richard Alpert (aka Ram Dass) saw a therapeutic value in LSD.

To help people recover from diseases like depression, schizophrenia,...LSD was used in psychiatric institutions even before Timothy Leary started his experiments if I'm not mistaken.

A few years ago I read an article of an experiment with MDMA, combined with therapy, to help cure depression. They were pretty positive about the experiment to say the least. But these are all alternative methods and won't be well accepted. The day they will sell MDMA in a pharmacy near you will not be tomorrow I guess.