Artist: Electrypnose

mars

Artist: Electrypnose

Date: 09-06-25

By: Ben Dorrell (5meohd)

Q: First off, Hello, How are ya, and thanks for taking the time to answer my questions!

A: Hi, I'm doing well thanks. Thanks for your time too.

Q: Does the name Electrypnose have some special meaning? Who came up with it?

A: It actually does, but in english it's not always obvious. Electric and Hypnose (hypnosis in french) mixed together. Nothing related to trip with the nose, white lines or whatsoever.

It's a friend of mine who found it when we started writing music together back in 2000/2001.

We collaborated on that project for almost a year, then he left making music to focus on his studies.

(I tragically lost this very good buddy a few months ago.)

I guess if we were speaking english well back then, we would have called this project « Electrypnosis ». To make it more internationally understandable.

Q: How long have been you writing music and was there a specific blip in time where you said "I must make psytrance!"?

A: Started with music since I was a little kid. Played violin for 10 years.

Began to go to trance parties at 17, and 2 years later really started to stick on the computer writting tunes. I just tried it out and it was good fun, then one thing after the

other, you improve your skills and get better gear to work with.

After it became a real addiction to go further with it. Including the passion of the technical aspects (gear, computers...). Today, almost 9 years on it.

Q: I personally think psychedelic trance has had a revolutionary change the last few years, more funky grooves, fusion of other styles of music did you spend a lot of time thinking that you wanted to follow this trend with Funked Up! or was this just naturally coming out?

A: I'm liking Electro and Minimal for a few years only, before I was really not attracted to those genres.

Then I reallised how good the sound quality of some productions in these styles could be. Wanted to give it a go.

I've opened my tastes a lot since I've started. I'm glad now to contribute a bit to the new fusions.

I think it's a bit of both, following the trend and going on naturally at the same time. Never had any wish to make a hit or anything... For me making music has to be fun and interesting for myself in the first place, then it's a great pleasure to share it with friend or other people.

Q: I'm listening to Hallucinogen In Dub: Live, right now. Have you heard it? Lots of psy producers claim Simon P. as a huge influence, do you agree?

A: I've heard it a lot of times. My favourite is « Angelic Particles », especially the last half. Love it.

Simon Posford has given an amazing contribution to this music. I'm glad he got the respect he deserves.

I'm his big fan, definitely. For me it's more « The lone deranger » which has been an important influence. I'm less into the new Shpongle works, not so attracted by the oriental/world music side of it.

Q: Other than Simon would you care to share a top 5 psychedelic projects you listen to... and a top 5 non-psychedelic projects?

A: Hard to pick just 5. But here is some of my all time favourites.

Psy : Pretty much all of Huxflux, Absolum (mainly Wild album), a mix between deep and psy techno. Antix or Zenon Records artists for the progressive. Highko/Cosmo/Kindzadza for the mad night moments. First 4 albums from Infected Mushroom stay a big reference (musically and production wise, especially for me BP Empire), Shiva Shandra, Logic Bomb... and the list would be really long. I'll maybe add H.U.V.A network, wonderfull down tempo music.

Non-psy : Archive (Londinium album).

Heard it thousand of times and never get enough of it. Trentemoller or Tipper have done amazing works. Peace Orchestra, Kruder and Dorfmeister kind of stuffs. Air (Premier Symptomes), like the first I mentioned, can't get enough of it after years of listening.

Leftfield, Portishead, Pearl Jam, Deftones... and maybe a last one, Ajja – Chillsome, almost a « secret album ».

Peaceful guitar and soft beats.

Again, the list would be very long if I'd mention all the music and artists that made my day.

Q: Was there ever a gig where the crowd didn't dig your vibe? Which gig in your opinion was the 100% opposite "the best"?

A: Of course there was. I'm glad it happens less and less. Some years ago I think my music had good ideas, but the quality wasn't good enough. Compared to what the DJ's would play before and after me, my music was sounding like crap. If you don't take it discouraging, it's a good kick in your ass to do better, improve your work. It happened to me that some people asked me to stop playing.

The « best »... hmm, there are a lot of « bests ». From the after party with 10 drunk friends by a sunny day... to the big event with 5000 people. Had lots of gold moments.

Q: I'm from the United States and haven't really seen very many psytrance shows, what was your impression of playing here? Any country in particular that has the

best parties?

A: I played 6 shows in the US. I remember all of them very well and had a great time. Your scene is quiet small but crowded with very nice people. I like the feeling when I'm in a foreign country, knowing nobody when I arrive, and enjoying the same as if I would party with my friends in my country. I had this feeling completely in the United States.

About other countries, I must say that I enjoyed every single country I've visited and played at. Can't rate them out. I'm very happy I had the chance to travel and see all this, it is an amazing life experience.

Q: So I'd like to mention that you have blessed us with an oppurtunity to become members on your site and hear EVERY tune you make... Do you feel that you are in a different league coming up with several awesome tracks a month, or do lots of producers do the same and just keep it to them selves?

A: I always thought that if I keep my music too much for myself, it will certainly more loose the chance to be heard, than having people fighting to have it. With this idea, I'm happy to share all I do. I actually don't really know other artist's website where you can get it all. For artists, the usual way is still to release on compilations or your own album. For that, the labels will ask you something unheard/unknown. That's why artists mostly don't share their tunes so easily.

But, to answer your question, no. I don't feel in a different league, producing faster or slower doesn't mean better or worse.

Q: The next album! When? and have you been thinking of any big ideas, or more of just a collection of the best tracks you sort of randomly come up with?

A: For now I take my time to think about it. Many confused ideas about a next album. So I won't rush it up.

Sorry, can't really tell more about this yet.

Q: You have been running all sorts of other projects, web design, mastering, collaborations, record label... can you update us a little? Fun, or dreadful work?

A: Also the workshop is quiet an important project we focus here with some friends (www.primitif-workshop.com).

Then all these projects are a lot of work yeah, but this way I'm sure to not get bored not knowing what to do. And of course most of the time it's good fun too. When it will be no pleasure anymore, I'll certainly stop it.

Web design became a need to do it by myself, because I was too complicated for the web designers. (who are good friends). I was asking them to change or add new things all the time.

I'd also say that only producing music can be boring if you overdo it. That's the main reason why I try to find myself some other activities. Then back to production, you enjoy it even more.

Latest new projects I'm on are building a DIY (Do It Yourself) analog modular synth. Also opened a new website for artists to share their unsigned music (www.freeqtechno.com).

Q: Speaking of the In Dub: Live album, what is your opinion of this fusion of electronica with acoustic instruments? I think its the future... would you agree?

A: Electronic and accoustic mixes are great in my opinion. I'll work on it in the future, but more mixing classical music with electronics.

I couldn't say this or that is the music of the future. I have no idea and actually I don't ask myself.

We listen to music that has been written 300 years ago (classical music), and what I think is that it actually beats much of what is done nowadays.

Of course they couldn't make electric sounds back in the time. But our music culture is still very young... lets see how good we can improve all this.

Q: Can you give us some ideas about your production setup, essential equipment used on the mojority of tracks, your track building process, also can you only write tunes in the studio or do you do alot of work on the laptop on the road?

A: I recon I pretty much need my studio setup. I do some things on the road on the laptop, but that never sounds like a proper mix when I bring it back.

The studio setup is a good 4 core CPU computer, using Cubase and Flstudio. Then a bunch of hardware is connected together... Trying to put some of everything in the music I write.

You can go on my website to check the setup, that will be easier than listing it here.

Also hard to say about a building process. Sometimes it starts with a few melodic notes, sometimes an atmoshpere, or sometimes straight with the kick and the bass...

I like to tell to myself that actually, it's not me who really makes the music. But the music takes me on a journey, and « the music » is telling me where

to go.

Q: Also the same for your live setup... I beleive your useing ableton, do you care to elaborate, maybe discuss the benefits of that amazing software, or maybe some

things you can't stand about it?

A: I've used Ableton for some years now, with a Native Instrument soundcard and 3 Faderfox controllers.

I'm liking Ableton a lot, because it's rocking stable and you can play a lot without having any worry. It's also very flexible on how you want to manage your live set. I like to have a bunch of sequences ready to play, and just have fun... but also to have some solid material to play and mix, to ensure the people will enjoy it. If I'd just play around, I don't think people would actually enjoy what I do.

Q: Lastly, a bit of a personal question, where do you see your self in 5 years? Married with kids writing scores to atmospheric films, or flying free letting the

psychedelic energy keep you young!?

A: I don't know. I maybe have a project to open a more permanent workshop. For people to come to Switzerland, enjoy a bit of the country, have a place to stay, a studio to work in and have some classes.

It's still an idea, but about the rest, children and things... It's too early to say. I'll see where this life brings me.