Carbon Based Lifeforms - Irdial EP

Melancholyman

Carbon Based Lifeforms - Irdial EP

( Soundmute , Dec. 2008 )

Posted Image

1. Irdial 4:19

2. Pou 4:12

It's been quiet from the Carbon Based guys over in Sweden. Since their release World of Sleepers three years back, not much have happened, except some track releases on compilations-Endosphere on Ease Division 3 and Reaktion on Future Memories. These tracks have been light and lush keeping the CBL formula we have come to expect. This is what also makes this release a little more interesting, because to be completely honest I didn't pay much attention to those other two releases. It felt as if Daniel & Johannes had milked that cow dry, and needed something new and different to stimulate their artistic creationism. They say that the two tracks featuring on this EP are ‘dark tracks’, or as I rather call it, dark ambient. And it really is, and it's surprisingly good. The first track Irdial starts of with some mellow tones that still feels somehow vicious to my ears, then screaming animals in the background, and a slow and dark drone kicks in, all this pieced together creates a very dark track indeed. I get the feeling that what CBL intended with this track was to say that there is something amiss in the jungle, something wrong, the animals are screaming for help or just despair. We are killing our planet and it needs to stop. Or you can just see it as the darker side of nature, but however you interpret it, it remains a great track. The second track Pou sounds more like you're regular CBL track but with a dark touch. I had lost a little faith in CBL after the other lesser compilation releases, but this EP kicks me right back in. I am thrilled to see what they can do on their next album.

Currently CBL are working on their third studio album, I sincerely hope that they will implement some of this darker stuff into that release, to make it a cohesive journey from joy to despair and back to joy again, of course.

Recomendation: If you like dark ambient you'll probably like this release. It is important to say that even though this is a new direction for CBL, they have still kept their unique sound, and there is no mistaking it. It's not for you're cheerful sunny afternoon to cool off with a beer, but for the night when your thoughts go deep to darker places.

Originally posted on Isratrance : Original review

edit

. sorry supposed to be in 2008n thread.

Unfortunately I found this EP to be way below CBL standards. It doesn't sound like anything they've done before. I'm not saying that makes it impossible for them to make interesting music, but outside their comfort-zone (as I think this EP is), they're not being able to channel their creativity. The samples from the new album sounds absolutely mindbowing, so thankfully we can forget about this hickup and look forward to the proper CBL sound.

Unfortunately I found this EP to be way below CBL standards. It doesn't sound like anything they've done before. I'm not saying that makes it impossible for them to make interesting music, but outside their comfort-zone (as I think this EP is), they're not being able to channel their creativity. The samples from the new album sounds absolutely mindbowing, so thankfully we can forget about this hickup and look forward to the proper CBL sound.

Where can I find samples of the new album?