My attempt at mixing DnB with acid/psy elements

Download Scorched Acid Policy BPM=185

I was initially trying to make an Acid breaks track a la "Acid 8000" and then I discovered DnB and it made much more sense to make an Acid DnB track :) besides I really couldn't find any Acid DnB. You might find the intro a bit long, thats because I like interesting, engaging intros. After that its just drumloops+broken bass+acid. I hope I'm on the right track and the sounds are okay.

On another note, has anyone else had encoding problems with high frequency sounds in FL? There is some high freq distortion which is not coming out exactly right even in WAV using the 512 point sinc algorithm.

ACIDStep no-one? :( IMO the track does have its moments, at the least it isn't bad.

Just took a listen. Psy-ish elements and sounds in DnB is nothing new really (although I haven't listened to any new DnB in years). DnB artists like Gridlok used to be fans of some of the earlier psy-sounds and common elements appear here and there. Still, it is nice to hear people playing with the idea more.

As for your track, there are some good ideas there. Three things, however, stood out as areas you might want to look into. One was simply timing related. There are a number of notes in both the acidy lead and some of the drum beats that are obviously out of time. I understand the idea of "broken beats" but broken beats rarely equals out of time beats (this is the most noticable in the parts appearing around 1:30) so if it were my track I'd consider adjusting those hits. The second and third issues are somewhat related. While the sounds you do have are generally decent, there isn't a lot of sonic variation in the track as a whole and almost the entire track focuses on one synth patch doing a few different parts. This leads to the second problem of the track seeming to have very little or very slow development. To my ears many sections either need to be shorter, or more stuff needs to be added in and taken out to keep the ear interested and change the feeling of "space" in the track and to avoid it becoming a one dimensional track.

As for things you could try, some more variation in supporting percussion loops and some more work with pads might go a long way in creating even more interest (at least in as far as making the kind of track I would envision). You might consider occassionally taking the parts that the acid patch is playing and dropping them into completely different synth patches at time for more variations. Some of the parts feel (to me) like they might go on a bit too long and shortening those up (in some cases even cutting the number of times a loop repeats in half) might really help in the development of the track and add to the energy, as you do have a number of changes going on, they just seem to be spaced out a bit far as it currently arranged.

To address a problem many newer (and a lot of not so new) artists have for a moment. What seems like might be going on here is a problem many artists have, which is an inablilty to "kill your children". That is to say you write a part or sound or whatever you really like and you end up dwelling on it too long (the acid lines seems to be the "child" in this track), where as more often than not using said part half as much is probably better for the track. Or you spend too much time trying to get a part that isn't working into something that is "ok" and then you become too attached to it to cut it due to all the work. My tracks took a major turn for the better years ago when I developed the ablity to spend several hours working on a part and then be able to ruthlessly delete that part entirely (in my case, almost universally after deleting such a part, about ten minutes later I will usually end up with something new that is a 100 times better. Such are the rewards for musical ruthlessness). We all often get too attached to parts, either because they we like them too much, or we have spend too much time on them, and in either case we end up using something we shouldn't, or using something we should use but too much, because we have become too emotionally attached to it.

With that said, don't take all this personally, I kind ended up using your post to address some issues I see a lot of artists having in their earlier years (I still have such problems myself and I've been writing music in one form or another for 20 years now). To get back to your track, there are some good parts here and the second half of the track seems to flow a little more smoothly. I think with some triming of the fat and the addition of some new flavors, the track could be even better, and isn't the idea to make the best possible track you can?

For what it's worth,

Jikkenteki

Just took a listen. Psy-ish elements and sounds in DnB is nothing new really (although I haven't listened to any new DnB in years). DnB artists like Gridlok used to be fans of some of the earlier psy-sounds and common elements appear here and there. Still, it is nice to hear people playing with the idea more.

As for your track, there are some good ideas there. Three things, however, stood out as areas you might want to look into. One was simply timing related. There are a number of notes in both the acidy lead and some of the drum beats that are obviously out of time. I understand the idea of "broken beats" but broken beats rarely equals out of time beats (this is the most noticable in the parts appearing around 1:30) so if it were my track I'd consider adjusting those hits. The second and third issues are somewhat related. While the sounds you do have are generally decent, there isn't a lot of sonic variation in the track as a whole and almost the entire track focuses on one synth patch doing a few different parts. This leads to the second problem of the track seeming to have very little or very slow development. To my ears many sections either need to be shorter, or more stuff needs to be added in and taken out to keep the ear interested and change the feeling of "space" in the track and to avoid it becoming a one dimensional track.

As for things you could try, some more variation in supporting percussion loops and some more work with pads might go a long way in creating even more interest (at least in as far as making the kind of track I would envision). You might consider occassionally taking the parts that the acid patch is playing and dropping them into completely different synth patches at time for more variations. Some of the parts feel (to me) like they might go on a bit too long and shortening those up (in some cases even cutting the number of times a loop repeats in half) might really help in the development of the track and add to the energy, as you do have a number of changes going on, they just seem to be spaced out a bit far as it currently arranged.

To address a problem many newer (and a lot of not so new) artists have for a moment. What seems like might be going on here is a problem many artists have, which is an inablilty to "kill your children". That is to say you write a part or sound or whatever you really like and you end up dwelling on it too long (the acid lines seems to be the "child" in this track), where as more often than not using said part half as much is probably better for the track. Or you spend too much time trying to get a part that isn't working into something that is "ok" and then you become too attached to it to cut it due to all the work. My tracks took a major turn for the better years ago when I developed the ablity to spend several hours working on a part and then be able to ruthlessly delete that part entirely (in my case, almost universally after deleting such a part, about ten minutes later I will usually end up with something new that is a 100 times better. Such are the rewards for musical ruthlessness). We all often get too attached to parts, either because they we like them too much, or we have spend too much time on them, and in either case we end up using something we shouldn't, or using something we should use but too much, because we have become too emotionally attached to it.

With that said, don't take all this personally, I kind ended up using your post to address some issues I see a lot of artists having in their earlier years (I still have such problems myself and I've been writing music in one form or another for 20 years now). To get back to your track, there are some good parts here and the second half of the track seems to flow a little more smoothly. I think with some triming of the fat and the addition of some new flavors, the track could be even better, and isn't the idea to make the best possible track you can?

For what it's worth,

Jikkenteki

Wow, thanks for that in-depth reply. It really helps me understand where I'm going wrong. You're right, sometimes I keep loops in for my personal satisfaction even it they detract from the track. I've made some adjustments to the track and reworked the middle section so it gets more interesting. I didn't change the 1:30 part because I just liked the irregular 3x4 beat better, it feels different and weird in a psy kind of way. I'll keep working on it :)

ok just gave it a listen. The first thing that comes to mind is that I hear the drum... but where's the bass? IMO for d&b to work you need that loud brutal "wahwah"bassline. Also there are not enough (any?) FX in there, the different loops just "kick in" and then stop.

other than that, there are some interesting ideas in there :)

Wazup Karan how's it hanging? :)

First of, i don't listen to breakbeat (except when it's from a psy-album)... So I wont know anything technical about it... But I like your track (except for a few "flaws")

The rythm seems off in the first part of the track... Something is off in the Bass/drum/bassdrum devision, but Jikkentekki already commented on that, so I don't have anything to add on that part.

At 3:35 it gets really interesting for me :) The glass-like synth you drop in about 20 seconds later sounds a little highpitched on my monitors though, maybe I would "tone it down" a little, EQ or maybe just another synth that sounds better? Again at 4:10 the Waowaooahh synth sounds just a liiiitle bit out of rythm, but if you correct it I think it will sound awesome :) The idea/progression is interesting, and the acidlines pretty cool as well :)

BTW Lemmi I can hear a bass :P

Just took a listen. Psy-ish elements and sounds in DnB is nothing new really

The thing is, I haven't found a DnB track with a heavy trippy dose of Psy/Acid elements. I would love to hear any.

ok just gave it a listen. The first thing that comes to mind is that I hear the drum... but where's the bass? IMO for d&b to work you need that loud brutal "wahwah"bassline. Also there are not enough (any?) FX in there, the different loops just "kick in" and then stop.

other than that, there are some interesting ideas in there :)

When I was mixing the sounds, I had to mix acid over the drum and bass. I couldn't overemphasize the bass because it would drown out the acid, so I turned it down a bit. This is why the bass is not the heavy, monster bass you hear in hard DnB tracks. Its just that the volume is lower. However it is still there and in the second half of the track 4:30 onwards you can hear it quite clearly :)

As for FX, again with having drum and bass and a heavy-ish dose of acid I felt there wasn't that much "acoustic space" for any/more FX. It is just loops but whatever I've heard of DnB is a bit like that, loops...

Wazup Karan how's it hanging? :)

First of, i don't listen to breakbeat (except when it's from a psy-album)... So I wont know anything technical about it... But I like your track (except for a few "flaws")

The rythm seems off in the first part of the track... Something is off in the Bass/drum/bassdrum devision, but Jikkentekki already commented on that, so I don't have anything to add on that part.

At 3:35 it gets really interesting for me :) The glass-like synth you drop in about 20 seconds later sounds a little highpitched on my monitors though, maybe I would "tone it down" a little, EQ or maybe just another synth that sounds better? Again at 4:10 the Waowaooahh synth sounds just a liiiitle bit out of rythm, but if you correct it I think it will sound awesome :) The idea/progression is interesting, and the acidlines pretty cool as well :)

BTW Lemmi I can hear a bass :P

You really ought to listen to atleast these 2 Acid Break tracks. They are as trippy as any Psy/Goa track out there.

Fatboy Slim - Acid 8000

Josh Wink - Higher State of Consciousness

Yeah its an irregular 3x4 beat with a irregular snare pattern on top of it as shown. Its just experimentation on my part, and I like the way it came off so I'm leaving it on for the moment.

The 3:35 loop was hastily inserted by me when Jikkentekki pointed out that the track was dragging in the middle =p Maybe he right about getting something 100 times better after dumping a loop going nowhere ;) so given a bit of time I'll be putting more effort in finding an appropriate synth/pattern for the loop. Its not too bad sounding though. At 4:10 I fixed the loop, thanks for pointing that out :)

Try getting your hands on some of the harder DnB, its crazy stuff for example....

Counterstrike - Maniac

Styles of Beyond - Subculture (Upbeats Mix)

The Militia - You and I Know

Noisia - Stigma

Evol Intent - Era of Diversion - this has some hard squealing acidish sounds. I was actually trying to acid for an acid sound somewhat like this. Hard, driving as if were being forced through a narrow hole at high pressure or something so its like chauauauaua....

DnB and Acid/Psy would be a mad combination, if someone did it properly :posford:

The thing is, I haven't found a DnB track with a heavy trippy dose of Psy/Acid elements. I would love to hear any.

When I was mixing the sounds, I had to mix acid over the drum and bass. I couldn't overemphasize the bass because it would drown out the acid, so I turned it down a bit. This is why the bass is not the heavy, monster bass you hear in hard DnB tracks. Its just that the volume is lower. However it is still there and in the second half of the track 4:30 onwards you can hear it quite clearly :)

As for FX, again with having drum and bass and a heavy-ish dose of acid I felt there wasn't that much "acoustic space" for any/more FX. It is just loops but whatever I've heard of DnB is a bit like that, loops...

You really ought to listen to atleast these 2 Acid Break tracks. They are as trippy as any Psy/Goa track out there.

Fatboy Slim - Acid 8000

Josh Wink - Higher State of Consciousness

Yeah its an irregular 3x4 beat with a irregular snare pattern on top of it as shown. Its just experimentation on my part, and I like the way it came off so I'm leaving it on for the moment.

The 3:35 loop was hastily inserted by me when Jikkentekki pointed out that the track was dragging in the middle =p Maybe he right about getting something 100 times better after dumping a loop going nowhere ;) so given a bit of time I'll be putting more effort in finding an appropriate synth/pattern for the loop. Its not too bad sounding though. At 4:10 I fixed the loop, thanks for pointing that out :)

Try getting your hands on some of the harder DnB, its crazy stuff for example....

Counterstrike - Maniac

Styles of Beyond - Subculture (Upbeats Mix)

The Militia - You and I Know

Noisia - Stigma

Evol Intent - Era of Diversion - this has some hard squealing acidish sounds. I was actually trying to acid for an acid sound somewhat like this. Hard, driving as if were being forced through a narrow hole at high pressure or something so its like chauauauaua....

DnB and Acid/Psy would be a mad combination, if someone did it properly :posford:

Cool thanks for the recommendations, i'm allways open for new things :D

Keep it up mayn :)