4 The Reaping (8:41)

5 Laundry Of Bitches (6:03)

6 One Of That (6:28)

Featuring - Radonix

7 Circle Of Pain (7:22)

8 Reflect (9:14)

9 Unleashed (6:50)

10 Touthanasia (8:57)

Cosmic Delusion are Jari Sipola and Arttu Oinonen from Funland. I first heard them play at local forest party. From the first drop of beat I knew I would like it. Before I even realised, the crowd simply lost their manners on the dancefloor, me included. Heard them again a few weeks back and started to wonder why I didn't buy their album the first time around! But now I stand corrected...

Suomiscene artists usually make quite self-ironic and humourous music, it's different from what's being released elsewhere. But lately we've also developed a small darkpsy/full-on scene. For example Tutankhamon 9000's Lost In Luxor was one of the highlights of darker psytrance this year if you ask me. Cosmic Delusion on the other hand could be classified as melodic full-on.

After hearing them live I do feel a bit dissapointed listening to Pixel Freaks. Coupla tracks here (2,3,5,6) feel nothing but fillers, don't progress anywhere, lack climaxes. Beh! to put it short.

Rest of the album saves it for me thou. Groovy melodylines accompanied by thick rolling basslines. After a few listens I'm noticing an impressive amount of time has been used to tweak little background details. That means the more I listen to this the more I like it. Special Mention goes to opening track "N.S.W 2008" which feels the most complete of them all and hasn't got a boring moment to it. The other one to captivate my attention is "The Reaping" which relies mostly on sharp little effects and a killing percussion, yet revealing haunting background melody later in the track. Most modern full-on is really shallow and stands perhaps a few listens before fading to oblivion and giving way to the next "prodigy!" artist. These guys are true to underground and make sure even the most hard boiled east-helsinki psytrolls get on their dancetoes.

Although suffering from a few uninspired tracks, Pixel Freaks is still overall a recommended album. The best tracks are guaranteed to cause dancefloor havoc. The sound palette is to my liking too - melodies don't sound plastic, yet they don't remind me of old school either. The Mastering by Markku Louhio and Tommi Sirkiä (Highpersonic Whomen) is top notch if I may add. There's plenty of punch, yet the sound is crisp and balanced. Not overly compressed like the new Eat Static for example.

8/10

You can listen to track #1 unmastered version at mikseri.net if you're curious!

http://www.mikseri.net/music/play.php?id=323153&type=dl