My Psy tracks- Help Wanted

http://www.twistedsessions.com/shamadrine

My top four songs are all psy tracks. It would be awesome if I could get some feedback on them, even a simple "it sucks" will do. I figured it was time to quit lurking here and post up. I could really use help on the mix/EQ side of things as well. Most of the synth work was done with Vanguard.

:ph34r:

not bad at all. although not my stlye of psy. im more into the slower progressive sounds.

some suggestions:-

robots of acid. um just woundering were the kick drum is??

also try experimenting on just the kick drum & bass. then experiment with different hihats patterns.

sounds like your just using on long note. try making a fun & funky melody. its not to hard. even if you just sit there and program it. then layer it with different sounds.

as for vangard. try use something like glitch or effectrix on it to cut it up more. they are two awesome effects to check out.

try some other vst's like

blue

fm8

massive

these 3 have some awesome arp. presets to give you ideas & when you figure out how the arp. works you can create some great sounds.

you can also turn the arp. off so you can use the sound to your own melody.

they are my favorite but there are 100's more to choose from

• 2 weeks later...

Hi dude, I can hear your working like i did once... Only paying attention to the "track writing" and not focusing on making each sound good, and make it sound good as a whole. I suggest you start of by watching the mixing secrets video(you can find it in one of the pinned topics here on this site) and learn about basic equalization. When i listen to your new track Cats and MICe, i kind of like what you wrote, nice story and funny sounds.. But it just whurls together, some of the sounds are to hard and fills to much in the sound picture.. Concentrate on making each synth sound good and keep up the nice writing ;)

One LuV!

Hi dude, I can hear your working like i did once... Only paying attention to the "track writing" and not focusing on making each sound good, and make it sound good as a whole. I suggest you start of by watching the mixing secrets video(you can find it in one of the pinned topics here on this site) and learn about basic equalization. When i listen to your new track Cats and MICe, i kind of like what you wrote, nice story and funny sounds.. But it just whurls together, some of the sounds are to hard and fills to much in the sound picture.. Concentrate on making each synth sound good and keep up the nice writing ;)

One LuV!

Thanks for the advice. I watched the mixing secrets video, but for some reason it's been hard for me to take much from it. I've cut everything that isn't the bass or kick off at 150hz and 8000hz. I still seem to be having a lot of trouble with reverbs and EQ though, it'd be easier if I could just watch someone else work from the beginning. I'll watch the video a few more times over and hopefully I will get a sound that I want. I'm going to also be investing in some nice monitors soon hopefully and perhaps that will help my mixing skills. Thanks for the comments!

Thanks for the advice. I watched the mixing secrets video, but for some reason it's been hard for me to take much from it. I've cut everything that isn't the bass or kick off at 150hz and 8000hz. I still seem to be having a lot of trouble with reverbs and EQ though, it'd be easier if I could just watch someone else work from the beginning. I'll watch the video a few more times over and hopefully I will get a sound that I want. I'm going to also be investing in some nice monitors soon hopefully and perhaps that will help my mixing skills. Thanks for the comments!

try putting less sounds in your songs!! simplify :)

Yeah, and don't do the same basic 100-8000 equalizing on all synths... Make some highcut in the instrument and cutoff in the eq to 300-400 hz and top it at 8000, then another one that use bandpass in the instrument, and lowcut in eq at 250hz-7000, another one that is deeper, cut it at 100-5000hz in eq... Try to experiment with the sound picture a little :) Not saying that my way is the right way, im no pro, but i have gotten much better results when doing eq like this... And remember to do it LAST, make the synth sound as good as possible without any eq or effects on first..

And another thing i didn't think about when i started making music on my computer, was that the notes shouldn't be the same in the different synths.. If the bassline is maybe around the note c1 or c2. Then the deep synth is around c2-c3, the saw is around c4 and the high/bright synths are c5 or higher... And if you need to put to of the same notes together for some reason, then do a panning so they come out of different speakers... It should "open" your music up a bit :)

I can't stand sounding boring, so simplification isn't an option. Thanks for the advice on filters buzzman, though I'm kind of confused as to what you're saying musically.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.twistedsessions.com/shamadrine

My top four songs are all psy tracks. It would be awesome if I could get some feedback on them, even a simple "it sucks" will do. I figured it was time to quit lurking here and post up. I could really use help on the mix/EQ side of things as well. Most of the synth work was done with Vanguard.

:ph34r:

ha your tracks make me realize that I still have a LOT of things to learn ;) Cats and Mice is REALLY nice.

other than that like others said, sometimes the production is a little shady, some synths come too much in the foreground compared to other sounds (although I couldn't give you tips on how to solve the problem cause I'm having the same difficulties myself... the more layers you have, the harder it becomes to find the right place for each layer in the track IMO). Also I'd say there's a bit too much panning, I mean, I like panning when used for a reason, but sometimes with your stuff it sounds like you just pan for the sake of panning.