Trance2MoveU

Posted Image

Artist: Various

Title: Neurology Vol. 2

Label: Neurobiotic

Release: January, 2008

1. 2 Hi - Into The Future (7:39)

2. PTX - Conflict (7:34)

3. Joti Sidhu - Distorted Reality (Remix) (6:17)

4. Flip Flop - Cheque One (8:04)

5. Psychaos - Party Animals (6:55)

6. Zen Mechanics - Vurt (Sinewave Remix) (8:38)

7. Polaris - Straight Ahead (7:32)

8. The Commercial Hippies - The 7th Fold (7:04)

9. Zen Mechanics - Glade Runner (8:50)

10. Alchemix - What Is Reality (8:03)

Neurobiotic Records is an italian label that has put out a whole bunch of great stuff. The new Zen Mechanic's album Holy Cities, Bamboo Forests's Release Your Mind and a host of compilations. They specialize in full-on psytrance in the high quality range. This is the 2nd installment in this series, the first one having been released in 2004. There are some interesting names here, the regulars of course and a couple I am not familiar with. Also it was mastered by Mr. Silicon Sound, so it's got that going for it. Let's get to it!

Into the Future- "If you find something out when you're in there just calm down. The less you freak, the less you'll trip out! That shit is in the past." 2Hi have released a lot of tracks on comps and I think one of them is Vibra. The track starts with some effects and then it is quickly into a full-on bass line. After the cool sample a synth lead weaves in between another lead. Pretty groovy and a nice way to start the compilation off, but nothing too deep.

Conflict- PTX just released his 2nd album Colour Your Ears which was very good. He begins with some fluttery synths that float above a bass line. The track proceeds with regular full-on glory complete with annoying sample. This is a track that could've just as easily been done by Alien Project. I'll pass on this one. <_<

Distorted Reality (Remix)- "What are we talking about really? Getting High? Were talking about a journey man. A sub conscious safari of mental expedition." Joti has been around a long time. Hell, he is older than me! Having been around that long, proves that he has staying power and this track is no exception. In no time a bass line slams away, below the above sample. Very powerful indeed. Synths combine, groove is defined, and the track rips. I felt there could've been more variation and the sample was used too much. Not bad though.

Cheque One- Flip Flop are Chris Hanson & John Beesemyer-Monkman and they released their debut this year. I haven't heard it. Light sprinkles twinlke above a deep tone. There is a lot to focus on here, with sounds from all sides and a rumbling bass line. The groove at the 4 minute mark is nice, and the break is smooth. I think the sample is rastafarian, but I'm not sure. Something about inspection and it is repeated. I could've done without it, but it doesn't marr the track. Pretty good, might have to check these guys out.

Party Animals- Psychaos is Joti again but with this project, he put out some storming goa tracks. I don't think we get any of that here. Straight bass line with light synth tones above. The semi break has an alarm type of sound as a new synth arpeggio growls underneath. The tones return and are joined by other synths. The whole track fills out and just rambles on. Nothing groundbreaking here, but not a bad track.

Vurt (Sinewave Remix)- Zen Mechanics with a very futuristic start. The bass line drops in and then some synths dart in and out. There is a very spacey feel to this one. The scope is large and this is a fine track, but it doesn't really go far. Not bad by any stretch.

Straight Ahead- I heard Polaris is coming out with a new album soon. Cool. This one bounces along with a sample in a very house fashion. I don't care for it at all. The strings in the background are nice, but this is too clubby for me. There is also not a lot of variation here to keep the track from becoming boring. That sample comes back and my disdain grows. Pass.

The 7th Fold- A big beat start with whooshes flying in from all sides. I haven't heard these guys's debut, but there sure was a lot of hype about it. If this track is anything like it, I need to check it out! Skittering leads with laser blasts that keep my feet moving. Epic synths that are so thick, I can't breathe. The break brings back the big beat, and I really get a taste of those synths. Great track! Best yet. :posford:

Voodoo Bytes- The Mechanics are back with another track with a spacey feel. Drums in the periphery illustrate the grandeur right into the bass line. A grimy synth lead snakes along as the groove continues. I like the effects and it keeps me bouncing, but this is another track that probably could've been so much more.

What is Reality- "What is reality? Is reality what we see with our brain? Or what we see with our eyes?" I have no idea who this is, but he (or she...they?) closes the compilation. A machine gun bass line churns below a floating pad. The pad is melancholy, and my interest just went up a level. Slow attack rate whispers frolic with a peppery lead. At the break, there is a lot of reverb. Actually a lot throughout the track, but in a good way.

Conclusion: I don't know why I reviewed this. Maybe because it was next in the pile of CDs I received. When I first heard it, I had it rated higher than I do now. Clearly for me the best track is the one by the Commercial Hippies. Plenty of power and groove along with sounds that take you places. The rest was ok, but just your standard full-on tracks. I liked parts in all of them, but as a whole, nothing to write home about. 6.7/10.

Mdk