Vibrasphere - Archipelago Remixed (V/A)

SkeletonMan

Posted Image

Act: Vibrasphere (remixed by various artists)

Title: Archipelago Remixed

Label: Digital Structures

Release date: 20. march 2007

Tracks:

1 Tierra Azul (Omnimotion Featuring Krister Linder Remix) (3:39)

2 Reservoir (Fiord Remix) (7:46)

3 Sweet September (Perfect Stranger Remix) (9:18)

4 Landmark (Allaby Remix) (8:33)

5 Morning Breeze (Atmos Remix) (8:00)

6 Sudden Comfort (Decoy Remix) (8:37)

7 Baltic Resonance (Solar Fields Remix) (8:56)

8 Seven Days To Daylight (Unai Remix) (6:55)

9 Late Winter Storms (Tobias Lilja Remix) (7:35)

Everyone’s jumping the house band wagon these days or what? Another recent Digital Structures release (Ticon’s 2am) also embraced mainstream electro house and Archipelago Remixed has mainstream potential too.

#1. Certainly Omnimotion’s version of Tierra Azul is as far away from progressive trance as an electro pop ballad can get. What happened to Digital Structures mean street? Skip!

#2. Antix – under the Fiord moniker – to the rescue on Reservoir? Yes and no, the horrible vocals from the opener are off and Reservoir has a nice flow in line with the Vibrasphere sound we’re accustomed to. On the other hand, it never sweeps me off my feet. A decent filler tune at the chill out stage I reckon that could set things up for a party. The vibe certainly is trying to please.

#3. Perfect Stranger’s take on Sweet September follows this path. Vibrasphere based but with an aggressiveness I often miss with Vibrasphere. Yet, the trees aren’t growing high up in the sky. When the aggressiveness turns into melodic proggy half ways through I miss the balls that were flashed earlier. At the right moment it might work, though, and surely Vibrasphere followers will enjoy this track.

#4. My knowledge of Allaby is limited. I’ve only heard him on Tristan’s Twisted Sessions Vol. 1 from 2002 but his contribution there ranks high with me. With Landmark Allaby does not disappoint me. We’re now well inside progressive territories and after the break at 5:33 Allaby steers this track safely home. Best track so far.

#5. Atmos’ been keeping a low profile since, possibly, my all time favourite minimal progressive album 2nd brigade from 2004. How’s he faring as a remixer? Like Atmos and that’s all I need to say. Stripping Morning Breeze and setting a ligther beat than the original this is another good track on the album. 2nd Brigade success like? No. Hell no! 2B is mean and Morning Breeze maintains a positive vibe also thanks to the riff kicking in halfways. But if Atmos borders cheesy now and then you can rest assured that he’s still too advanced to be dismissed easily. This commenter is crossing fingers for the upcoming Atmos release also to be released on DS.

#6. Decoy is yet another new act with two releases from 2006 and 2007 behind them on Israeli progressive trance label Dance N Dust. I haven’t heard these but Decoy’s house influences are obvious. I’m not big on the “it’s gonna be a while” sample but the track progresses nicely and I’m sure this could be a hands in the air morning stomper. With pros and cons implied intentionally. Decent track.

#7. The development of Solar Fields has been an interesting one to follow. His chill out releases on Ultimae are exceptionally well crafted but mostly it’s been his border progressive tracks that’s left me most impressed. He took the whole step in 2007 with EarthShine and Baltic Resonance sees him playing out his ideas. With moderate success. I’m sure this has sunrise appeal but skip the last two minutes where it goes Popcorn and personally I’d prefer this on the chill-out at sundown if a daring dj says wtf ...

#8. I’ve read appraisals of Swedish based Unai and fancy his approach on Seven Days. Minimal electro style house with a smooth vibe. Thing is I can’t stand his theme kicking in at 1:18. Wtf is this? Supertramp? Without that I might have been more impressed. Next!

#9. Not surprisingly the Late Winter Storms remix by Thomas Lilja offers the closing chill out track on an otherwise house/progressive based album. Not bad but in all honesty it sounds like just another off the mill track.

Summarizing, the reason for getting this album comes midways. Allaby, Atmos and Decoy delivers admirable if not breathtaking remixes. The remainder is by no means terrible. We’re talking about Swedish noveltys Vibrasphere, after all, but these tracks didn’t really layer any huge impression. Not as good as I hoped for but Vibrasphere followers should definitely still get it. The remixes fit as a very nice addition to the originals and I’m sure one may hear several of these tracks and only halfways go “Hey, I’ve heard that before haven’t I …?”