M-Audio FireWire 410

So, are there any tried and tested configurations of "SoundCard (1394) + PC (WinXP)"? (or it's a useless question? :ph34r: )

Only partly :) - sorry to make this sound so bloddy difficult... The only way to be (almost) sure, is to know if there are people who have tested with:

- That particular soundcard (pref. same production batch since components may vary between batches).

- Same drivers, or if someone know of a driver version that seems to work.

- The same operating system (service pack included).

- Same firewire chipset. This is harder to determine, as there are subtle differences in makes and models and manufactorers. For instance, RME or Presonus (I think... someone out there) has openly stated, that they don't support the Agere Firewire chipset, that, say, the new iMac uses.

Even then, they may be surprising stuff happening. Some users report absolutely flawless operation with the TC Electronic Konnekt series, except when Outlok is open - then there are dropots, because the network interface drivers of certain network cards are saps, that can't program sensibly, and that makes the operating system delay audio processing, of the audio drivers are constructed in accordance with Microsoft "standards". It's a damn jungle, and a treasure hunt. Luckily, most of the time, things work out pretty good :)

- A

Only partly :) - sorry to make this sound so bloddy difficult... The only way to be (almost) sure, is to know if there are people who have tested with:

- That particular soundcard (pref. same production batch since components may vary between batches).

- Same drivers, or if someone know of a driver version that seems to work.

- The same operating system (service pack included).

- Same firewire chipset. This is harder to determine, as there are subtle differences in makes and models and manufactorers. For instance, RME or Presonus (I think... someone out there) has openly stated, that they don't support the Agere Firewire chipset, that, say, the new iMac uses.

Even then, they may be surprising stuff happening. Some users report absolutely flawless operation with the TC Electronic Konnekt series, except when Outlok is open - then there are dropots, because the network interface drivers of certain network cards are saps, that can't program sensibly, and that makes the operating system delay audio processing, of the audio drivers are constructed in accordance with Microsoft "standards". It's a damn jungle, and a treasure hunt. Luckily, most of the time, things work out pretty good :)

- A

OK/

About Konnekt series - what 1394 Chipsets and on what systems (AMD or Intel) works properly?

And for example if i am interested in Konnekt - is there any official distributor in Ukraine?

Hmm, I don't know what chipsets will definetly work on PC. It adds to the trouble, that some chipsets will be dodgy in only some configurations. I think there is work being done assembling a list of known configurations that will or will not work...

Try this:

http://www.tcelectronic.com/Default.asp?Id=13100&cpc=1

I had some problems with the link - if it doesn't work, go to TCs site, click "where to buy" in the upper right menu.

- A