Audio DVDs

They makin "audio" DVDs yet? With like hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours of music?

If so, any cool ones? :)

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-

"in the dark"

yep ====

SAIKOSOUNDS has a Juno Reactor Shango tour DVD . It says on the promo:

"This is a DVD featuring footage of Juno Reactor's 2001 Shango Tour.

Tracklist:

01 The Forest

02 Conga Fury

03 Laughing Gas

04 Komit

05 Vocal and Drums

06 Feel The Universe

07 God is God

08 Hyle Lam

09 Pistolero

10 Biot Messiah

11 Insects

12 Guardian Angel

13 Masters Of The Universe

14 Mars"

It retails for US$29.95

I am interersted to know what its like - any1 seen it?

actually and a company in New York called atmospherex (www.atmospherex.com) make DVD's with trippy animation and a mix of club and psy trance - one I reviewed last year had blue planet corp and stuff, very good visuals.

Guest acrilic

I think the first post was about Audio DVD and not Multimedia DVD.

Microsoft has recently announced that some big companies (like Panasonic, Toshiba, Apex e Shinco ) have the intention to use the Microsoft's WMA audio compression on DVD support, for a total of 250 hours of music (is it enough, Strumpling? ;)

The DVD Audio Reader will enter the consumers market only when the prices will be affordable.

There is already a collaboration between Microsft and Panasonic (announced at Consumer Electronics Show at Las Vegas)

Aww, come on, dam10n! Don't beat yourself up over it; it's the THOUGHT that counts. Thanks for the help ;-)

acrilic, I dunno if that would be enough music, man. That's not even 10 and a half days!

heh kidding kidding... that kicks so much ass! Now somebody's gotta make 250 hours of psy....... could take years

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-

what about one track that goes for 250 hours....

drop enough acid for 10 days & sit back back

and enter another realm......

(just joking by the way...)

Guest vasyachkin

what are you all talking about? isn't your hard drive enough for you? why would anybody legally sell you 250 hours of music for a reasonable price anyway?

Guest Phaedrus

I have seen audio DVDs at Best Buy here in the states. Not a very wide selection though. The only thing interesting I saw was LA Woman by The Doors. They won't be giving us more albums on a single disc (that I have heard of), but they will be increasing the quality of the music by reducing the compression, and also encoding it in Dolby 5.1 :)

Guest vasyachkin

no mate, dolby 5.1 sucks ass

thats why dvd-A DOESN'T USE IT

dolby < DTS < DVD-A

dolby is used on regular video DVDs it's quality is similar to mp3.

and what you've all been talking about in this thread is not DVD-A at all but some bullsh*t

Guest Phaedrus

No buddy, you are the one talking the bullshite!

Dolby 5.1 is only similar to mp3 in that both use compression algorithims to get the data on the disc. But so does, DTS (its just compressed less than 5.1) and so does CD. The benefit if DVD Audio is that due to the greater capacity of the DVD disc, they can compress the data less and thus get higher quality music. From http://www.dvdaudiopreview.com/about/ :

"What is the difference between DVD-Audio and CD?

DVD-Audio can provide dramatically higher quality stereo than CD with a sampling rate of up to 192kHz (compared to 44.1 kHz for CD). DVD-Audio digital sound can be delivered with up to 24 bits of data (compared to 16 bits for the CD standard).

Unlike CD, DVD-Audio has the ability to offer Advanced Resolution multi-channel sound. Artists and producers can offer listeners a playback experience that is far more faithful to the master recording than ever before possible in home entertainment systems.

Like DVD-Video, a typical DVD-Audio disc contains up to seven times the data capacity of a CD. For DVD-Audio, this additional data capacity is used primarily for music - either Advanced Resolution quality sound or for longer recordings; DVD-Audio discs may also offer visual content that can be accessed from on-screen menus. This may include text information such as artist biographies, playlists and lyrics; photo galleries; and even video clips."

And some titles WILL be offered in Dolby Digital 5.1 as an option. From the same site:

"Do I need a full home theater set-up to enjoy DVD-Audio?

No, you do not need a home theater system to enjoy the high-quality stereo audio or additional visual features of a DVD-Audio disc.

However, as many DVD-Audio discs feature surround sound music, you will need a 5.1 channel surround sound system to take full advantage of this music format."

Anyone who thinks 5.1 sucks ass, has obviously never heard it on a properly configured home theater.

Next time, get your facts straight before you start talking shite to someone!

Guest Phaedrus

You are right - we have been doing a good job lately of keeping these boards flame-war free. My home theater is living proof that 5.1 does not suck, so I overreacted at vasyachkin's comments....

Anyways, check out that site - it should answer all of your questions.

Several deep breaths............. i am a chhhhiiiiiiiiiiillllllllllllllllllllllllllllled out now :o

My uncle is one of the founders of the hi-end audio company Meridian, and they have been working on an audio format for DVD at 96khz I think (called Meridian Lossless Packing) which they hope to be able to use for the next generation of recordings. I think you would need a seriously good system to hear the difference between a 44.1kHz sampled track and anything above that - but if you're in the business to make the best equipment, then I suppose you're in the business to show off what it can do !!

http://www.meridian.co.uk/

bomble

here's an extract about this if you're a techy ....

(http://www.meridian.co.uk/p_mlp.htm)

The basis for WG4's work has been a set of requirements set forth by the

International Steering Committee (ISC), representing the interests of the world's

major record label trade associations (the RIAA, IFPI and JRIA). Most of the 15

requirements - things like support for high-resolution audio, multichannel

(surround) playback and CD compatibility - have long been part of WG4's brief.

But this summer the ISC recognized that even DVD is limited in terms of both

bandwidth (the playback data rate) and total storage capacity, and added to its

list the requirement that playing times, even for high-resolution multichannel

sound, approach those of the 74-minute CD benchmark.

To meet this requirement, WG4 mandated that all DVD-A players support a

lossless data compression scheme championed by Meridian Audio of

Cambridge, England, a 21-year-old hi-fi manufacturer best known for its

audiophile CD players, receivers and other home stereo gear.

Unlike "perceptual coding" schemes that reduce data rates by discarding

"unneeded" audio data, Meridian Lossless Packing is more analogous to Stuffit

and other software utilities that reduce the size of computer files without altering

the information. According to Meridian and WG4, MLP yields a decoded output

that is bit-for-bit identical with the original signal.

The actual degree of compression achieved by MLP depends on the program

material itself, but the claimed reduction in bandwidth and storage requirements

is significant (see Fig. 1). Without compression, for instance, 96kHz/24-bit audio

requires 2.3 megabits per second per channel. That works out to 13.8 Mbps for

6-channel sound - which exceeds DVD-A's 9.6 Mbps bandwidth - and a total

required capacity of 7.7 gigabytes, which

exceeds the 4.7 GB capacity of DVD-5, the least expensive DVD to replicate

(and thus most attractive to labels). Used on typical program material at that

resolution and channel configuration, MLP is expected to reduce bandwidth by

38 to 52% (to 6.6-8.6 Mbps), allowing anywhere from 73 to 89 minutes on a

DVD-5.

That capacity might fall as low as 54 minutes if a separate MLP-encoded 96/24

stereo mix is also provided on the same disc, in which case DVD-A's ability to

deliver some channels of a multichannel mix at lower resolution than others

could be used to reduce data requirements and thus lengthen duration.

Guest vasyachkin

Phaedrus firstly: CD uses NO COMPRESSION,

but both Dolby and DTS do use compression. The whole POINT of introducing DVD-A when DVD-V was already there was TO GET AWAY FROM DOLBY by allocating more capacity for data.

i was not wrong when i said DVD-A doesn't use Dolby, i never said that it CANNOT also use Dolby.

Both Dolby and DTS and SACD and DVD-A all support 5.1

i never said that 5.1 sucks in general, i said Dolby sucks.

the compression on Dolby is so severe in fact, that they mix the sound of all channels above 15khz into a single channel, so its not quite even 5.1

on this happy note lets end this argument its nothing personal, i just wanted to clear up the confusion