Calling all DJs...

Guest kingdok

Help a newbie out, wouldja?

What's the first sign of worn out slipmats? I get this ratty, squeaky, blechy sound when I try to spin back certain records. 'Don't know whether the problem is with my tables, my records or my slipmats. Something tells me it's the latter.

Insight, anyone?

Guest rx7style

Yeah, it sounds like your needle is screwed -- does it look like a dull point? You should probably replace it then... 8^) You can't generate strange sounds with slipmats! And you can always tell if your slipmats are worn out... the record spins by itself indepentdent of the mat when you pull back a record. Hence, it's not working!

Guest kingdok

It's definitely not the needle. There's friction somewhere near the platter. That's where the sound's emitting -- a honking almost. Like a goose with a lungful of helium.

Guest kingdok

Because, my dear Elysium Project, the problem lies not with the slipmats, as others have already deduced.

The mysterious "squonk" is being generated by the interior ridge of the record hole rubbing up against the nipple/prong on the turntable.

Eureka!

Unfortunately, there's no way of lessening this noise, lest I be forced to lube up my 1200s with Crisco.

Guest rx7style

So you mean that the "blechy" sound that you hear, doesn't eminate from the speakers? I can't see how slipmats could cause any kind of a problem, other than not allow the vinyl to move independantly from the table... check the tables? Or is it on both that you have? In which case, it's neither of anything that's been mentioned thus far.

Guest rx7style

Oh yeah, and in case you didn't get what I meant for some reason... if you hear the sound through the speakers, it's going cleanly through the needle and into your phono-amp. If you don't, it has to be something on the tables themselves, or you have the worst slip-mats that have ever graced the planet earth.

I don't know what variables you've eliminated -- I assume it happens with all your vinyl? If not, problem solved 8^)