!_-LISTEN-_!

Guest Orange Agent

OK , this isnt meant to offend anyone , so dont take offene,, but regarding previous post someone just noticed the "lsd/dmt' chant in the song "DMT" by shpongle after listening to it a bunch of times.

This makes me think that even here , people do not really listen to the music -They just hear it and thats it - like a pop radio tune. I think that too many people do not really listen to and notice music the way it deserves to be listend to.

Well,, i listen to everything - i donlt like it all, but i can hear the work that goes into it - do you?

Guest red montpellier

personnaly, i think that the words in a song aer important. but who ever listens to them in trance???? u barely get one sentence in a track!

Yeah, I guess you may be right, at least for me. I confess that sometimes I play Psy trance as a background music, don't paying special attention to it. So what ? I also listen to it relaxed on my bed, with good headphones trying to get as many layers as I can.

I don't think it'd be sane to always look upon Psy Trance as a metaphysical experience. Man, let's have fun before taking life too seriously !

J.

Guest bugbread

Hmm...People at clubs I sense are often not really listening to the music, but I'd say most of the people into psy enough to visit here probably are listening.

Another possibility, Agent Orange, is that some people are listening to the music as pure sound. After all, the act of recognizing and interpreting words takes some analytical thought, while truly LISTENING is a purely emotional experience. Are you familiar with the Cocteau Twins? They play ethereal pop, and the best part is that even though it's full of vocals, half of them are in made-up languages, and the other half are so weirdly pronounced that they're indecipherable. As such, instead of listening to the words, you listen to the voice that sings them and the sounds that make them up.

After all, you can hear "D.M.T." and think "The fourth letter of the alphabet, the 13th letter, the 20th letter", think "N-dimethyltryptamine", or think "A blunted sudden sound followed by a high pitched held sound that gets suddenly deeper and wraps in on itself becoming a low drone followed by an explosive sharp sound and the same high pitched sound". The first are the sounds as words, the second are sounds as meanings, and the third is sound as sound.

Just an idea.

Guest Orange Agent

Ok, maybe i should clarify more. Im not just speaking of Psy - but music!@

And im not saying you have to listen super deep into a song everytime you hear a song -

But i know people say they LOVE listening to music - and they never really listen.

Guest vasyachkin

i mostly play music in background, but if i REALLY like the track then i will back it up to its beginning, turn the volume up, stop whatever i am doing and listen.

on some cds there is only 1 track that i will treat this way :)

Guest bugbread

Sorry, Agent Orange, I think it came off as if I were disagreeing with you. I actually agree that a lot of people don't really listen to music. After all, some music requires so much listening that you can't really do anything else with it on. A good example is that I can't drive with psy-trance playing because I can't concentrate on the road. That's why clubs are cool. Sometimes you feel a bit foolish just sitting in your room listening to a full album doing absolutely nothing (and I'm not talking about chilling with a blunt, I mean just sitting down and listening to an album), but at a club you can focus on music for like 8 or 10 hours without feeling in the least like you're wasting time. (Obviously the same is true for outdoor events). So anyway, I completely agree with you, I just wanted to defend the person who talked about DMT on the odd chance that he's like me and doesn't listen to lyrics, only vocals. If not, well, then...I guess he has no defence :-)

Orange Agent - There are several ways to listen to music, just as there are several ways to experience everything.

For the first maybe 20 times I listened to Divine Moments of Truth I did not hear what was being said during that "DMTLSD" part, but I thought that the voice was one of the most beautiful passages of music I'd ever heard - by far the best part on that album, and one of those rare parts that gives me goosebumps when I listen to it, a feeling of pure love and bliss. I heard the way the voices interacted in counterpoint to each other and how the effects were manipulated, etc. Only after 20 or so listens did I actually hear what was being said. I listened to it again the other night for the first time in a long time (I don't really like that album very much), and discovered that there's a lot more being said, but I can't make it out.

I love the kind of music that comes to me in subtle layers, like the peeling of an onion, like a good movie in which, during the 20th time watching it, you catch a joke you've never noticed before and you laugh your ass off. All good music seems to be like this, and I'm sure it's a different experience with every listener.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if there were some passages that even you haven't picked up on whereas others have. But you will eventually, maybe, and then you'll be thrilled. :) EA

Guest peaceful warrior

Wow guys good comments! I really like what most of you wrote. Orange agent, bugbread and epic automata especially. I agree that it seems that alot of people don't really seem to listen to music but only hear it superficially. Now this doesn't mean that every time you listen to music that you should be listening with all your being but I do think that is when the music has the most power on us. Sometimes you dance to music and also have a profound experience listening to it. Sometimes you just let the music move you and you dance but not much more. Sometimes you sit at home and really listen, you enter a trance and the music takes you away to a mysterious place. It is true that there are many different ways to listen to music and that is really a good thing. Personally I think that the best way to listen to music is at an event (outdoors or indoors) or at home in an almost meditative state of mind letting the music have its full effect on you. I think it is just a waste to play good music as background music if you really aren't paying it any attention. Music is a comunication between the world in the music and the listener. No magic happens if you are focused on the mundane world around you.

Guest peaceful warrior

Wow guys good comments! I really like what most of you wrote. Orange agent, bugbread and epic automata especially. I agree that it seems that alot of people don't really seem to listen to music but only hear it superficially. Now this doesn't mean that every time you listen to music that you should be listening with all your being but I do think that is when the music has the most power on us. Sometimes you dance to music and also have a profound experience listening to it. Sometimes you just let the music move you and you dance but not much more. Sometimes you sit at home and really listen, you enter a trance and the music takes you away to a mysterious place. It is true that there are many different ways to listen to music and that is really a good thing. Personally I think that the best way to listen to music is at an event (outdoors or indoors) or at home in an almost meditative state of mind letting the music have its full effect on you. I think it is just a waste to play good music as background music if you really aren't paying it any attention. Music is a comunication between the world in the music and the listener. No magic happens if you are focused on the mundane world around you.

Guest Rabbitakis

Just listen more and more and more .... psytrance tunes , more you listen , more you feel the music .. this happens generaly to any music genre ...

Guest themoonwizard

me think not only in psy-trance, saw the movie lord of the rings (dôh),

when frodo is stabbed by a black knight? and Arwen(Liv Tylor,the elf-woman)talks to Aragorn(Viggo Mortensen,the human ranger) , that elvish language........

I don't think I've to say more.......