So I got a Keyboard for Christmas

I've been a musician and piano player my whole life. At age 6 I had my first piano lessons in suzuki which lasted 6 years untill age of 12.

After that I never looked back. I was sick of practicing, I was sick of being forced to learn to play.

My parents bought a VFX ensoniq music synthesizer some years after that. I remember enjoying finding and making strange alien sounds with it.

I even experimented with making my own music using logic audio platinum. I made a fun drum and bass track some years ago.

I have now been gifted with this:

Yamaha YPG-225

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail/0,,CNTID%253D65246%2526CTID%253D205200%2526CNTYP%253DPRODUCT,00.html

And have always wanted to make some music and actually move on the ideas i've had come to me and fulfill my potential musically...

Now I have this sythesizer. It seems to be a keyboard for families. It does some things I could never get the VFX to do. BUt I need a keyboard for making what I listen to. I like the full spread of 8 octaves it gives me. But other features it has like "music lessons" seem useless to me.

What I really need is a Keyboard that will interface with my Mac and be able to use:

As a MIDI contoller to control software synths and experiment with new sounds.

To make drum sounds, and bass sounds.

Filter sweeps, mids, highs, U know waht I'm talking about.

---

I don't know if this keyboard can do that or not.

All I know is that this thing bundles software for windows computers and not for mac. and teaches me how to play "Fur Elsie" which is great but - I really don't need a keyboard to feature that.

I expect most people use windows for some really incomprehensable reason... But I probabaly need to get a music sequencer program too don't I? Somthing like Logic Pro or Logic Express.

Anyway this synth seems more like a family toy than a professional music creation synth for cutting edge psychedelic trancedance music.

What should I do?

What do I need to do?

What do you think?

I'm ready to make some electronic music I just don't know what i'm really doing. I wonder If I should sell it and invest in somthing else?

Yea it's got the Midi out and USB connectivity.

I don't know If It can be used as a MIDI controller for software synths though.

THat said I find some neat features in it like "Harmony" where it can modulate any

voice to a 1/4th 1/8th/ 1/12 1/16th 1/24th or 1/32nd beat

It also has tempo control and the possibliity of uploading new "styles" which

I'm not sure what a style is. I suppose it's difrent from a voice... And it's the voice that is really the sound so...

mmm i dunno.

I would like to get LOGIC PRO but that is a 1000 dollar software app.

Impossible to pirate... I'm getting a copy of Cubebase now. I just gotta

see what this synth can do. If it is really worth keeping or if there is somthing

more suited to my needs.... that is somewhere around same price.