IM

Classical Musrhoom is a wicked for a trippy cd, but if you want something to dance to go B.P Empire, which is much better sound quality and quite original sounding, I fin The Gathering to be a lot like most ful on style available nowadays.

can't name any tracks - i once was at an IM party in LA three years ago, which was pretty much my first psytrance experience, and it blew my mind away then, but i have no idea at all whether now, after having experienced more parties and more artists, i will still like it that much.

the truth is, until i found this forum - when was that again, like 2 months ago? - i didn't know any artists names (apart from IM) and didn't have any psy CDs, just knew the music from goaparties... i LOVED it at the parties, but didn't have a clue as for where to find those cds...

now i got A LOT to catch up. 8D

why don't u like IM, Stone Age Man with the Unpronouncable Name?

...and each one has its weaknesses too;)

Could The Gathering be viewed as a kind of "trendsetter", I mean "one of the first of its kind.." or smt? (Haven´t been "around" for so long really, and mostly been concentrating on the older stuff, so I´m not too aware of the later developments...)

Anyway, The Gathering would definitely be my choice, although neither that one is good as a whole imo.

I don´t like Classical Mushroom at all, the combinations of different instruments and musical traditions just don´t work in this case - at all. I´m inclined to think that the less one listens to other music than psy, the fuller can one possibly enjoy this album=)

if you're going to get just one of their albums, i'd say the gathering is probably the one to go for .. it's the only infected mushroom album i really dig from the beginning 'til the end and the one with the most psychedelic melodies and arrangements .. it also most like contains the tunes you heard at that party three years ago :)

unfortunately for me personally their compositions got less and less interesting as time passed, even though their production nowadays is really great .. sure, there are some real gems on the last two albums as well but they contain some pretty awful chunks of cheese too ..

anyway maybe i should just give a short description of the albums one by one as they are pretty radically different from each other:

the gathering = very psychedelic and sometimes dark full on trance, in the beginning it might sometimes be hard to get used to the somewhat strange/eerie melody changes but after a while you'll get used to them and really enjoy the complexity of these compositions .. but the production is rather weak and it contains some pretty stupid film samples ..

classical mushroom = lots of use of (sampled) acoustic instruments and melodies that somehow should be inspired by classical music, but most of the time really remind me more of cheesy pop tunes or videogame music from the eighties .. however, once in a while the experiment works and when it does it makes for a really marvellous and unique experience .. but i can't say there are more than 2 or 3 tracks on this album that don't get on my nerves easily .. cool artwork though .. :)

b.p. empire = a very varied album, some of the tracks sound amazingly mature and are full of interesting subtleties and tiny details that you probably won't notice at first listen .. others are again horribly cheesy pop tunes and most of the vocals in this one are really stupid too .. the cover is horribly ugly as well which is why you'd probably want to download this one instead of buying it ;)

Guest stringtheory

IM is brilliant. Every album is unique and incredible in its own way. The Gathering is supremely psychedelic and well structured and produced. Classical Mushroom is very experimental and different. A distinct depature from their earlier approach. More subtle...and also supremely psychedelic. B.P. Empire is a masterpiece. It is even more experiental than CM. A continuation and progression in the approach used in CM. It is one of the most subtle albums I have ever come across. The changes are just there...small and well placed. Noticeably but not overt. Such wonderful flow in each and every track. Really a professional and intellectual album.

hmmm maybe i've been a little too harsh on classical mushroom, i'm listening to it right now and it's put a huge smile on my face .. :) i guess i just need to be in a silly mood to be able to enjoy it, after all i still think a lot of the melodies are pretty silly =)

Guest bugbread

Yep...I personally like Classical Mushroom the best. It has a "silly" side, so if you want to be really deep or stony faced when listening, it doesn't work, but if you are willing to laugh while jumping around, it's great. Plus, the parts that rock REALLY rock!

Edu: If you want to know the best IM album, listen to the tracks on mp3.com on IM's page. Unlike some artists, where there is a relatively clear hierarchy of "Best, Worst", opinions on IM vary GREATLY, and the best way is to check yourself.

Guest tetsuo

all the albums are good. classical was my first so it holds a very special place in me. its worth getting for bustamove alone.

i love unbalanced from bp empire. that song is amazing.

all the songs are good, all (most) the samples are good.

there is no cheese...... except...... ' do you want, to have, a tasty....MUSHROOM?'

that just seems a little cheddary (sp)