bit more on Shpongle

Just to stop some of the salivating, I found out that the Shpongle album won't be limited to just 500 copies. No idea how many they will cut, but it'll be way more than just 500.

Also it's release is quite a way off yet, but the Hallucinogen in Dub oughta keep the munchkins at bay. It's awesome stuff.

Guest Flying Kundalini

clarification required...

Raj said that work would begin on Shpongle 3 in Nov/Dec 2002.. now i'm confused as to whether he meant the remix album or not.. also will they be remixes by the masters themselves or by others?

I still think Shpongle 3 means Shpongle 3.. but then RR does have a tendency to exagerate situations in the name of hype, so...

dam10n.. you already have a promo of "in dub" ?

..and while i'm here does anyone know why the 1200 mics album has been put back again?? maybe reworking some of those samples following too much negative feedback and dodgy reviews.. of course this is all just speculation.

Bom

Guest stringtheory

Hallucinogen in Dub...Yuck....Why ruin wonderful music ??

Shpongle Remix....Yuck....I don't like remix albums. I want to hear something new...something innovative. Remix albums are people just being lazy.

Guest bugbread

Stringtheory:

Don't knock it before you try it. Gamma Goblins dub version is very, very pleasant.

Also, try remixing something well before you declare it laziness.

I think it's out in middle of October - Oct 14th is in my head but then that might be for something else...

anyway I think they got a prometheus album to come out before shponle rmxs, and tristan's new one is before all that too. Guess we shouldn't hold our breath(s).

Guest stringtheory

Bugbread...

I have no problem with an artist remixing another artists track...or having one remix track on an album...

I have a problem with people as brilliant as Posford and Ram doing an entire Sphongle remix album...when they could be producing new and exciting stuff. That is what I call laziness. Remixing is not lazy at all.....producing an album of nothing but remixing smacks of laziness to me.

Strumpling....

I am not into dub...

Halluncinogen's stuff is perfect. It is like a great painting....nobody reworks it...or redesign's it. It is a classic. It needs nothing else. Would someone redesign the Sistine Chapel ?? No...because that would be a great insult to Michelangelo. The sistine chapel is complete. Twisted and The Lone Deranger are complete. They should not be touched.

Guest bugbread

Hehe...Stringtheory, while we share musical tastes, we sure don't seem to share musical viewpoints.

Really, the quality of a remix depends on the degree of the remix. A remix that is just little tweaks and changes does tend to disappoint. After all, even if it's better than the original, the fact remains that you were expecting much better makes it seem like an anticlimax. However, a really monster supremo remix is one that makes a dance track into an ambient track, a childrens song into a thrashcore song, etc. It makes a new track out of an old track, not just modifying an old track.

Besides, regarding Twisted and Lone Deranger: Relax. They are still there, just like they always were. Remixing them does not delete the originals. Nobody would redesign the Sistine Chapel, but many people would make different chapels using the Sistine Chapel for inspiration. Remember, Twisted and The Lone Deranger were made by human hands, they are not divinely created discs of vinyl. The human hands that made them have the ability to take the sounds and melodies in them and make different great tunes. Maybe it will work. Maybe it won't. But we won't know that until it happens.

I'm not saying to throw away your common sense. Sure, if it was "Hallucinogen remixes by Michael Bolton", I'd be annoyed as hell too. But in this case, it isn't. They may be great tracks. It's unlikely, but they may be better than the original! (Ok, yeah, I doubt it too, but my point is, it's POSSIBLE).

Remember that this is music made by extremely gifted human beings who also probably pick their noses and have occassional stinky farts, who get diarrhea and who used to get scolded by their moms for wearing dirty shoes inside. They're amazingly talented, but they are just people. It's not a religion with sacred artifacts which are not to be touched. Don't assume that by remixing it they will ruin it, unless you have some sort of spectacular clairvoyance.

In which case, let me know the winning lottery numbers for next week, could ya? I appreciate it.

Shpongle Remixed

&

Hallucinogen & OTT - Hallucinogen In Dub

are the releases that I've been checking back to since the day I found they will see their daylight..

1st of all.. don't we all want to hear a remix of Behind Closed Eyelids, or Monster hit, or 6th Reveletion (Ambient Rmx MMMMMMH yammy) ot actually every freking track ever made by SHpongle ?!? Well I DO ATLEAST!!!

2nd of all you all anti dub lamers should hear the Gamma Goblins Dub mix and after that decide if you like it or not..

Guest stringtheory

Well said Bugbread :-) I agree with what you are saying. But in this particular instance...I disagree. Twisted and The Lone Deranger should not be made into anything else. We are not talking about someone producing tracks that were inspired by those albums...we are talking about turning the tracks from those albums into dub tracks...which is an idea I do not like.

As for the Sphongle remix album. I still don't like the idea. I am sure it will be remarkable music...but it is music that I would have heard before. Regardless of how extensive the changes and rework will be...it will still be reworks of prior songs. That does not interest me. What interests me is something new. Something that pushes the envelope and takes the art to a different level.

I am aware of the fact that all musicians are people. They have the same problems...issues...etc etc. I do not idolize anyone.

All this aside...as usual you produced a great post my friend :-)

hehe, this is so funny, Stringtheory, the whole point is, if the artist wnat to remix hgis music to dub let him do it, if you don't like it don't get it. I find it real funny that pople whine so much about new things, or remixes etc., yet when artists keepo on comin gout with the same ld stuff, like Astral for example, you whine that they are not ciming up with anything new or original as well, make up your minds. I think the Halucinogen Dub cd will be a great experiemntal compilation/album and the Shpongle Remixes will probably be excellent as well, and keep all us die hard fans relaxed until they finish the 3rd album, which, as far I have heard, is being worked on as we speak, so just chillout, great works of art take gret lenghts of time. Also, if you read the Posford interiview, he syas he isn't in a rush for a new hallucinogen albu, so really don't hole your breath I think and *SMILE*

Guest etherealphaze

i dont care as long as its shpongle :)

They've never made one single awful track i can remember!! i dont think they will do something Less good now just because its remixes!!

I think they have a little better remix ideas than for example Total eclipse or gms 'innovation' :)