Artist: Process

mars

Artist: Process (Sean Williams)

Date: 05-02-01

By: Children

Q: First of all, what is your musical background (studies, first compositions) ?

A: Self taught.Played guitar and bass in bands before using Atari to make electronic music with Pete Martin aka Slide as a project called "Satori". Releases with Sirius, Aquarius, Matsuri and Transient. Album of Satori tracks available v.soon

Q: How and when did you start to make psytrance, and why did you choose to make psytrance over any other medium of music ?

A: 1993 because you don't need to organize a whole band and practice rooms etc. You can have your own ideas and pursue them fully. I went to some TIP parties that blew my mind and I wanted to contribute somehow.

Q: Which other music styles do you like ?

A: All sorts of music from Indian Classical to Brian Eno, Be-Bop, Dub, fusion

Q: What are you doing in life except working ?

A: Music is my work but I also do it for pleasure and that takes up most of my time.

Q: Do you project to release another album ? When would it be released ?

A: I'm releasing five albums this year! There are four albums of archive stuff, a lot of which has never been issued on CD and some of which has never been released at all. Then there's a new Process album with the working title "Superior Technology" which is almost all new tracks. They'll all be available through the website http://www.onedroportwo.co.uk in the near future.

Q: Which of your own tracks do you like the best ?

A: I like the two Beast tracks very much that I wrote with Simon Posford, also X-1

Q: Your favourite psychedelic Groups & Albums ?

A: Best group is Ozric Tentacles, but best album is definitely "The Mama Matrix Most Mysterious" by Nervasystem and Aether on Elektric Orgasm Records because it's a totally psychedelic album and not just a compilation of dancefloor tracks. It has those tracks on it but there are so many influences in that I'm sure it'll stand the test of time.

Q: Where does your inspiration come from when building a Track ?

A: I mostly set up complicated systems with the modular synths which I can interact with and I'll then record a few minutes of performance and edit the results. The performance factor is where the inspiration can express itself because just using a mouse and screen is too detached.

Q: What kind of equipment do you use to make your Tracks ?

A: Mac, Logic, Analogue Systems modular synth and sequencer, Doepfer modular, and a bunch of seventies/eighties outboard effects.

Q: Future projects ?

A: More work with Raja Ram on an avant garde/weird tip, electronics for a new psychedelic/jazz/cillout band called "The Mystery School Ensemble", and some solo chillout/farout sufi- singing stuff that I'll be performing in the USA this July/August

Q: Is there any artist you'd like to work with ?

A: I believe that when the time is right opportunities will present themselves, but if Brian Eno wanted to make some music with me that would out of this world

Q: Infected Mushroom, who recently worked on one Track with Simon Posford, say his way to make music is very particular ... as you worked with him on some Tracks, could you say us more about that ?

A: He's super fast in the studio and is able to make the most killer sounds in no time. He starts at the beginning and makes everything fit into the tune in a linear way, i.e. he'll make sure the intro is perfect before moving on to the next part of the tune. A sound that might take a day or two for anybody else, Simon can do in a few minutes because he knows his gear so well.

Q: What kind of stuff do you play as DJ in parties ?

A: I like to play my own tunes obviously, as well as Benji (Prometheus/Cyberbabas), Elektrik Orgasm, Creamcrop. I like playing the odd tune from a few years back, but as long as it's psychedelic and far-out and makes people dance I'll play it.

Q: Some tips for the beginners who do DJ or make music ?

A: If you only listen to one type of music you're a lot less likely to bring anything new to the music, so I would just say listen to as much as you can and don't get forced by the media into listening to only one genre.

Q: When & where was your best party ? And your worst one ?

A: One of the best was Fusion festival last year in California. I don't like to talk about the worst.

Q: How do you think trance music will mutate in the future ?

A: The definitions change so often that it's a hard question. I think psychedelic music will take on board the new technologies and performance will become more important so we'll see different events where you'll get a greater diversity of people and different levels of participation.

Q: What do you think of the MP3 revolution ?

A: Brilliant. Vinyl and CDs are on the way out in the next 10 years except for real enthusiasts. We don't need to manufacture physical things as it's only the information that we need. I have about 3000 records and if I could reduce all that onto a tiny hard-disk I'd do it. MP3s are not good quality but the next format should fix that problem. It fantastic that you can go on-line a hear almost any track you want.

Q: And what do you think of people downloading them without buying the stuff ?

A: If it's not MP3 downloaders it's israeli DAT pirates- there's always someone out there trying to steal from you so there's no point in getting upset about it. Piracy will always happen. The hope is that if people really like the music they'll go and buy the CD to get the proper sound quality.

You can know more about him at http://www.onedroportwo.co.uk !