Artist: Tegma

DeathPosture

Made on 04-25-02 with Omar Chelly by Jeto

1) How many members consist in Tegma, and how did the name arise ?

Well, Tegma is me Omar Chelly 23 years old and Jason Orfanidis 22 years old. Originally the name Tegma didnt have any meaning, it was just something we came up with by mistake. But later we found an explanation of it, We are both born and bred in Sweden but our parents have foreign roots so we took that.

2) Can you tell us a little more about this explanation ?

Tegma is short for Tunisian Egyptian Greek Malmoe association since my parents are from Tunisia and Egypt and Jasons from Greece and we all live in our dear hometown Malmoe.

3) When did you first start to produce music ? Was it always Trance ?

Well i started by experimenting on Rebirth and various trackers in 1998, it was mostly for fun so we started out our first project called Epsilon. This was mainly melodic Psytrance. Later we took a big step and decided to buy hadware because we wanted to take the productions a bit further. Slowly slowly we gathered equipment and by the end of 1999 our taste for psytrance started to change and we decided to put an imprint on the progressive side of Psytrance so by the beginning of 2000 we started our Tegma outfit.

4) What do you use to make these killer tunes ?

Well actually we have our Pc for the sequencing and audio section and we run Cubase VST 5 on it and then we have a Hoontech Dsp 2000 Sound Card on it and a 4*4 Midi Interface for the hardware section. We have our favorite synth the Novation Nova as well as a Korg Triton, Nord Micro Modular, Yamaha RM1x and a pair of Alesis m1 active, and a 22channel analog mixing board

5) Do you project to release a new album ? When would you release it ?

Well, for the moment we are working on our debut album which will be out on our homelabel Digital Structures. We have made like half of it now and the planned release will be in November.

6) How do you generally split the work between both of you when building a Track ?

Well there is no standard way of how we work , different track ,different roles. Sometimes I control more aspects of a track, sometimes its Jason

7) Where does your inspiration come from ?

Hmm well I would say mainly from parties we go to, sometimes when we go out clubbing we just wanna go back and work on a track And in most cases of which we have got inspiration from is not Psytrance Parties its mainly Techno Parties or from Progressive House Parties. We are both big fans of those scenes Since the production in those genres is different we get ideas of how to incorporate elements from those styles and combine it in out productions.For example we have used some house chords in our latest tracks and techno rides in others.

8) Any Future side projects ?

Well… We have a progressive house project running since some months ago called Homer N Lazon its nice to try out something different gives u more experience to your productions so for the moment we have made some trax and we have signed a 12" on an english label called 3beat which will be out in may/june and we have some other on the way too.

9) What kind of music do you listen to on a day to day basis ?

As i said before we like to listen proghouse and techno for the psytrance we try to not listen too much too keep our productions a bit independent. I also listen to world music like manu chao, Khaled, sometimes I go back to my roots and put on some olskool hiphop. Jason likes to listen to greek music

10) Any artists out there you would like to collaborate with ?

Hmm…I think one producer we really would have like to work with would be Chab from Switzerland cos we love his productions he is a prog house producer but incorporates elements from psytrance and techno About collaboration We might do something in the future with the Ticon boys since we are good friends and live near each other and almost have similar music taste.

11) Do you play DJ sets ? If so, what kind of stuff do you play as DJ in parties ? Is it live or Dats ?

Jason plays as Dj, he try to mix styles so he plays a bit trance (mainly scandinavian sound) and aswell as Proggy House and Looped Clubfriendly Techno. About our live sets well as we have seen too many artists press play and stop on cd or dats or minidiscs or whatever and pretending to play on synthesizers which we think is disrespect towards the crowd that actually comes and pay money too see you. We made a live set which is composed of: A multi track hard recorder with 16 channels.So we can control and build up the trax we make to suit the conditions and a dj mixer and a cd player to not stop the beat since we dont want any breaks between the traxx. In the future a thing in our live is that we have made some exclusive trax for it which will never be released and in the future we plan to make an even more interactive.

12) Where and when was your best party ?

Experience, Our absolutely best party was in our hometown Malmoe in November at a place called Kb. The crowd was really great they gave us incredible feedback 1000 persons shouting and screaming everytime the kick entered after a break. It was an unforgettable experience for us.

13) What's your favourite track that you made ?

For me it must be Sentenza cos it has this nostalgic feeling and for Jason its Bloody Mary for the dubby feeling!!

14) Is there a Tegma website where viewers can visit?

No but we have a section on http://www.mpdqx.com/digitalstructures If you check the artist section you will find info about us, tourdates and releases and so on...

15) How long does it generally take you to make a Track ?

Generally it takes around a week or so, sometimes more or sometimes less depending how much time we spend per day and how much ideas we have...

16) What do you prefer : to make, to play, or to listen to the music ?

Listening is always, and parties is even better especially when u get good feedback , but nothing beats the feeling of making a new track. Listening is always nice, and parties is even better especially when u get good feedback , but nothing beats the feeling of making a new track.

17) Some tips for the beginners who do DJ or make music ?

As Im not a Dj I cant really give good tips about that expect that its always best to start learning mixing on vinyl…

18) Any tips on producing ?

For producing I always recommend that its best to start on some simple software to learn the basics..for example fruity loops or a tracker or as I did on rebirth and then to progress to some heavier programs like Reason and sequencers and finally to hardware. Although Im sure in a couple of years the softwares will be as powerful as the hardware or even better.. but Im more of a hardware junkie since I prefer to press buttons and tweak some knobs..

19) What do you think of the MP3 revolution ?

I think that mp3 is a great way of introduciing music to people who don't have access to shops and also its great for promotion..but what I don't like is the mp3 trading hysteria people spreading around unrlsd trax. I think that is disrespect towards the artists..

20) Would you like to give any special message to everyone reading this ?

Be openminded towards towards music and don't do too much drugs.

21) What do you think about the evolution of psytrance in the last years ? Have things gotten better/worse according to you ?

As far as the minimal/progressive scene has become these days I think its worse it was really interesting in end of 99 /year 2000 but lately I feel that all trax are a big remix, everybody using the same basslines and lack imagination and the majority of trax are a bit too dark. I think that people wants to go to parties to return home with a smile but I think the scene is gonna change again soon and more melodies and happy feelings are going to enter again at least thats what we have tried to do in our latest productions.. So we will try make a happy and melodic album In the style of Charus Rmx and Sentenza..

22) Is there a Original Version of Charus, Is it released ?

There is a original version of Charus that we made back in 2000 it was supposed to be released on that same compilation but one week before mastering of the the comp we remixed it to show the new Tegma sound so it got released like 2 months after we made it...

23) It is known you are doing some remixes for Iboga Records.. Can you tell us a little more about the upcoming titles ?

Well the deal was that 4 artists from Digital Remixed 4 iboga artists and vice versa for the new Digiboga Cd Crosslinks so Son Kite, Tegma, Ticon, P-woland, Llopis, Fabel, Beatbizarre and Reefer Decree are all included. The comp will be out in May sometime and its really great. We remixed Beat Bizarres track Outloud and they remixed our Werewolf.

24) Thank you for spending your time for this interview ;-)