Trance in America fights back!

Guest Jonathan

Just got back from San Francisco and it was a very unusual 3 day festival.

This was the third year for the Fusion Festival but after the new laws that passed here regarding raves the organizers (including an Israeli named Adam Ohana) had to make it a very small, intimate event for the suprisingly large trance community in the bay area.

They secured a beautiful location in a national forest owned by some Native Americans that are fighting to hold on to their ancestors sacred land.

We arrived at around 10 PM friday night and the first bad sign were the 3 traffic signs on the way that announced "Fusion Event Cancelled" I wasn't too happy to see those but we called and heard that the party is going on as planned. The roads up to the location were filled with cops stopping people with drug dogs, searches everywhere, and a shit load of paranoia. We decided to tape our "goodies" to the car engine and continue.

So, the first 24 hours were quite spectacular. No music at all, unless you count the random boom boxes and car stereos that people set up.

I was amazed how many people decided to just kick it in the forest with no music at all and try to outlast the pigs.

There were probably around 600 beautiful people from all over the world, sharing, smiling, swimming in the creek, and just having a blast.

The organizers could have just given up and told everyone to leave, but they hired a lawyer who decided to write up a special contract that said that the Fusion event is cancelled and we are starting a new event intended for "a religious dancing ritual" (see: the constitution; the first amendment)

Everyone had to leave the gate and come back and sign the contract. From that point on it was pure Karahana.

They put the music at full volume and Christof (Absolum) and Dimitri rocked the house for about 10 hours. It was the most beautiful trance experience I have ever had. Everything went smoothly, and people were having the time of their life. I feel like this is a very big turning point in terms of the Trance movement in the US.

Massive respect to the organizers, the land owners, and especially the amazing community of trancers in the bay area and beyond. I have never seen such an amazing collection of quality people like you guys.

Guest Dr Cheroot

Jonathan,

hope you got my email :)

Amazing party man, never have i been so moved by the PLUR spirit we seem to have taken for granted and even think as corny sometimes. it was just beautiful, so farking beautiful. people coming for the party from all over, and not a peep from anyone even though there was no music.

loved that legal mumbo jumbo the organisers came up with on the last evening. beat the buggers at their own game!!!

also wanted to say thanks to that israeli gang blasting the place with their car stereo for almost the whole day on Saturday (yes, we actually had an alternative dancefloor with a car stereo as the music system. just threw a big tarp on the floor, opened the doors and boot, and voila, a "pre-party" for almost 7-8 hours). thank you very much guys, hope you're reading this.

Absolum and Dimitri, thanks for blowing my brains all over the place. Am still recovering!!! that wonderful music system was finally put to good use.

Great location, great people. great music.

A great experience!!!!

thank you, fusion people.

Guest what???

i just got back to the east coast from out there... and just posted on the off topic about this event. maybe the strangest few days of my life. and yes, it just might be a turning point for trance.

and there should be lessons learned here too. hire a lawyer early, and have him/her there on site. get every permit you can, even if it means asking for more money. set up an early warning system and better communications- there's a lot more cb and hand-held radios and such at jam-band events warning of police and stuff and keeping everyone calm. bringing radios is a good idea in cell phone free zones, and so that cars can communicate with each other.

those who promote our parties here in the US should be studying the lessons from fusion. i should hope the upcoming outdoor parties (oregon and pennsylvania- see ya there) will go off a lot more stress free. let's all remember, the cops learned some lessons here too, and i'm sure they're networking this info out too.

yo! serious props to the people who owned the white car with the extremely loud, crisp stereo system. nice one.

question: any idea on how many people, if any, got arrested?

• 2 weeks later...

Jonathan,

Could you tell me more about the "religious dancing ritual"? So if one is having a religious ceromony the cops are unable to invade? I understand the first ammendment protects the freedom of practicing religion...so, if cops show up at my party. Do you think i could tell them that this is our religious ritual, and they'd have to respect that?

I want to learn everything i can from this historical event =)