Two New Vocals-into-Reason Questions

Okay, so I have a couple new questions regarding recording voice and getting it into Reason. I downloaded Audacity and I got it to work. My problem is that I have one microphone hooked up to one of the two mic inputs on my sound card, and therefore I only hear sound from one channel (either left or right only, depending on which input I use). How do I get sound into both channels with one microphone? Is that something I can do in Audacity? Do I have to get another mic?

Also, for some reason I can't get a voice sample, which I save from Audacity as a WAV file, into one of the Reason samplers. They don't seem to recognize the format for some reason when I try to open it with the sampler.

The simplest way of doing it is to record in mono, from the input to which you have attached the microphone. When you subsequently play back the mono file, it will come out of both speakers. Alternatively (and here I'm guessing that Audacity is a sound editor), there should be a way of copying audio from one channel of a stereo soundfile to the other.

As for your Reason problems, I'm looks as though it doesn't like some aspect of the soundfile you recorded. I don't think Reason will read 32-bit soundfiles so make sure you're saving at 24- or 16-bit.

The simplest way of doing it is to record in mono, from the input to which you have attached the microphone.  When you subsequently play back the mono file, it will come out of both speakers.  Alternatively (and here I'm guessing that Audacity is a sound editor), there should be a way of copying audio from one channel of a stereo soundfile to the other.

As for your Reason problems, I'm looks as though it doesn't like some aspect of the soundfile you recorded.  I don't think Reason will read 32-bit soundfiles so make sure you're saving at 24- or 16-bit.

487370[/snapback]

Kick-ass, Colin. Thanks. If all goes well I'll have some new stuff to share with you soon, which will sound a bit nicer than Superstring way back when. I'll try your tips when I get home from work tonight.

Audacity is a bit tricky about creating mono from a stereo sample - one of the reasons I seriously dislike it....

You need to click on the name of the track - to the left, right beside the 'X' in the track-info box.

Select "split stereo-track"

- mark the one you don't need, and erase it (by pressing the 'X')

Now you have one channel left, which will still play in one side. Click the name-thingy again, and select "mono".

Now you're ready to export from the "file" menu :)

-A

Ah, reminds me of the good old days of Goldwave. Now that was on hell of an audio recording app.

As Colin said, save it as a 24 bit file. Should work.

And also--I'm asking this in a don't-kick-my-ass-for-askin' way--have you tried loading the sample on a redrum channel and seeing if it works?

The simplest way of doing it is to record in mono, from the input to which you have attached the microphone.  When you subsequently play back the mono file, it will come out of both speakers.  Alternatively (and here I'm guessing that Audacity is a sound editor), there should be a way of copying audio from one channel of a stereo soundfile to the other.

As for your Reason problems, I'm looks as though it doesn't like some aspect of the soundfile you recorded.  I don't think Reason will read 32-bit soundfiles so make sure you're saving at 24- or 16-bit.

487370[/snapback]

Okay, I've tested saving the files as both 24-bit and 16-bit WAV files and they still won't open in the samplers. Is there a setting in Reason somewhere that I have to change?

Audacity is a bit tricky about creating mono from a stereo sample - one of the reasons I seriously dislike it....

You need to click on the name of the track - to the left, right beside the 'X' in the track-info box.

Select "split stereo-track"

- mark the one you don't need, and erase it (by pressing the 'X')

Now you have one channel left, which will still play in one side. Click the name-thingy again, and select "mono".

Now you're ready to export from the "file" menu :)

-A

487511[/snapback]

Thanks, Amygdala. Actually, since I wanted to put a mono track in both channels I sort of used your advice in reverse by splitting the stereo track of a mono sample, then copying, as Colin suggested, the right channel info to the left. Problem solved.

Ah, reminds me of the good old days of Goldwave. Now that was on hell of an audio recording app.

As Colin said, save it as a 24 bit file. Should work.

And also--I'm asking this in a don't-kick-my-ass-for-askin' way--have you tried loading the sample on a redrum channel and seeing if it works?

487558[/snapback]

I hadn't tried to load it into Redrum, but when I did after you mentioned it, it worked. So why not a sampler?

Okay, I've tested saving the files as both 24-bit and 16-bit WAV files and they still won't open in the samplers. Is there a setting in Reason somewhere that I have to change?

Thanks, Amygdala. Actually, since I wanted to put a mono track in both channels I sort of used your advice in reverse by splitting the stereo track of a mono sample, then copying, as Colin suggested, the right channel info to the left. Problem solved.

I hadn't tried to load it into Redrum, but when I did after you mentioned it, it worked. So why not a sampler?

487956[/snapback]

Holy shit. Wait, wait: are you saying that you try to load that sample in the sampler using the browse patches button? The one after the name in the top left side of the nn19? Since you can load a sample in Redrum just fine, that's the only alternative I can think of. Just like automating panning and mixer functions, though, trying to load samples through the load patches button is also one of the oldest known Reason bozoing. That's not where you load .wavs.

What you do is, on the piano box of the nn19, where it says *** no sample ***, right click, and select browse samples. Then browse to your sample and load it. By default it runs for the whole key-length with c3 as the root key.

It's a bit different in the NNXT, and I'd suggest you learn how to do that from the manual. It should be in your Reason folder.

(You do have the manual, don't you?)

Holy shit. Wait, wait: are you saying that you try to load that sample in the sampler using the browse patches button? The one after the name in the top left side of the nn19? Since you can load a sample in Redrum just fine, that's the only alternative I can think of. Just like automating panning and mixer functions, though, trying to load samples through the load patches button is also one of the oldest known Reason bozoing. That's not where you load .wavs.

What you do is, on the piano box of the nn19, where it says *** no sample ***, right click, and select browse samples. Then browse to your sample and load it. By default it runs for the whole key-length with c3 as the root key.

It's a bit different in the NNXT, and I'd suggest you learn how to do that from the manual. It should be in your Reason folder.

(You do have the manual, don't you?)

488192[/snapback]

You're right, I was trying to load from Browse Patches, and I figured it out eventually. Still, I have to say the manual is pretty crappy with some very crucial things; they should have big "IMPORTANT!" flags for the common mistakes noobs like me make instead of burying the info in a bunch of unrelated technical stuff. Anyway, I finally got the goddamn vocoder to work and it's very, very cool.

Thanks again for your help, rabbit.