to listen to this again Raven

• 2 months later...
Guest Girionis

An excellent album. No matter how many years will pass it will still be

excellent. It was excellent on '96, it is excellent on '01 and will be

excellent on '10. People you should learn to judge an album by how good it is

and not how old it is. Especially X-Files and Liquid Troll. THEY RULE. Ok I

admit that the style is different than the Pleiadians, Cosmosis or Koxbox but

it is still worth listening to it. Variety is the spice of life.

• 1 month later...
Guest Diepeveen

I've changed my mind about this album, this is actually quite good overall!

Starts out with the two classics X-File and Liquid Troll. I still think

Barbarian is messy, but i find it okay now. Brain In The Box is a good track

and so is Hell Razor Puzzle, but the good vibes are destroyed a little by Club

Mad, and the Combine track. I've also changed my mind about the last track...

It sucks! - So overall i'll give this a 7/10 - Propably more if this was 96

• 7 months later...
Guest Panchamk

well this was the first trance album i bought

way back in 2000.

and it rocks! even today it holds up

it's got great tight basslines[although they sound childish]

but the 'X-FILE' song truly rocks!!!

long live chakra!!!

7/10.

• 3 months later...
Guest qwerty_power[at]hotmail[dot]com

The Best Album Ever! Classic and best!

Club Mad, Brain in the box, x file and the others!

CLub Mad best goa track ever!

• 1 month later...

Pretty good album...yes, it does sound a bit the same all the way through but

it is define style only CHAKRA has and with help from Edi Mis this album does

get somewhere..all songs have sense and the concept is what makes this album

very good...best on album are : X - FILES ( ! ), LIQUID TROLL ( ! ), BRAIN IN

THE BOX, CLUB MAD, HELL RAZOR PUZZLE...8/10

• 5 years later...

Pretty good album...yes, it does sound a bit the same all the way through but

it is define style only CHAKRA has and with help from Edi Mis this album does

get somewhere..all songs have sense and the concept is what makes this album

very good...best on album are : X - FILES ( ! ), LIQUID TROLL ( ! ), BRAIN IN

THE BOX, CLUB MAD, HELL RAZOR PUZZLE...8/10

power

• 4 months later...

CHAKRA AND EDI MIS - THE PROMISED LAND

Krembo

Posted Image

Track listing:

01. 08'35" X File (Original Mix)

02. 09'05" Liquid Troll

03. 08'58" Barbarian

04. 09'19" Brain In The Box

05. 09'55" Club Mad

06. 08'59" Hell Razor Puzzle

07. 09'30" Combine Harvester

08. 09'20" Final Mission

This is an awesome, UNDERRATED album. After all of these years.. it's very old school Goa and in some ways combines elements associated with Juno Reactor and Transwave. The aggressive, lift off opening track actually reminds me of Juno Reactors more tech-trance, Psy-influenced Beyond the Infinite sound, though put into a super song here. The Promised Land doesn't seem to copy either artist, rather develop its own darkness and light style and push it through the roof. I find every song great on this album, but the first is superb. The melody/sound work and their general, aggressive approach to Goa is incredible at times, and very nostalgic, in the old school vain. This is one of the finest releases I've ever heard in my life that I've waited more than 10 years to hear. Sickly surreal and infectious, driving Goa trance. I thought The Promised Land was going to be peaceful. Boy was I wrong. This is a constantly developing, evolving, and invigorating experience.

01. X File (Original Mix) is massive. Wow. This is one of the best Juno Reactor-esque songs I have heard. EVER. The song doesn't chill down too much, though it loses a high level of energy from 2:50 to 5:18 to compensate for a strange and creative, though far from riveting excursion through what sounds like a psychedelic, tropical rain forest. Sometime before 5:18 however the transformation into something clever has already begun. The track suddenly takes off with an infectious, Goa melody and never seems uncertain for the rest of the duration. Don't let the area around 3:25 fool you, nor the animal sounds that follow. The track has an excellent rebound and climax. The number as a whole is wonderfully catchy and imaginative. By today's standards, the song is awesome. I heard it for the first time this year. A-

02. Liquid Troll follows up the prevous number very well. Chakra hasn't lost their edge. They've reinvented it for another head rush. I love the sound that begins around 1:35 and how it moves as a "shakey" main melody until the stronger current comes. Then the Goa lead comes. It's rediculously catchy. Unlike the previous rocket, there is no weaker moment. The song becomes more developed and psychedelic as it progresses. The melody/sound work is dynamic, stylish, and absorbing throughout. This is one of the best Goa songs I've ever heard. A

03. Barbarian is a melodic roller coaster with several transitions of suspense, buildup, and climax. Who said this song is too Psyharmonics? I think he or she was talking about the higher pitched, symphonic melodies. I think they're tasty, but a bit too pitched high at times. The song is less aggressive than previous numbers. Nonetheless, it's quite energetic and animated. What I love about the artist's style here is that they seem to have no limits, long as they stick to electronica (generally Goa) with few exceptions. Certain ideas are developed and pushed certain ideas through the ceiling I've noticed. What's weak about this song? Because it has elements of excellence. I'd say the weakness lies in its strength, ironically. The main melody lead beginning around 2:31 to 3:09 is catchy. Though it may appear too pitched as symphonic melodies are generally more sensitive on the ears than many other "well known" titled melodies in Psy/Goa. The song is really built around this melody for the most part so it's a matter of tastes I feel. I found the previous two tracks stronger, more gripping than this one, regardless that the main melody here stands out more than on previous tracks. B+

04. Brain In The Box again begins with a gripping "shaky" albeit echoed sound that will front many more organic sounds and melodies. The track, as is the others, is produced by one gripping sound paragraph evolving and flowing into the next. This is another interesting, energetic and complex rider with an even more sharply melody appearance as it progresses. A-

05. Club Mad is the super Goa/club-friendly main melody masterpiece on the album. Just listen to this. It's not clubby. It's not mainstream formula, though appears to follow more of a formula in Chakra/Edi Mis' style than previous tracks. This is a Goa dance song that would rival most club Psytrance songs by today's standards, though because it's old school, it may appear less culturally favored. Such BS. This is such an aggressively great climax lead driven dance song. A

06. Hell Razor Puzzle is very melody juice filled. A beautiful sound spashes through the rhythm that few artists have done so well in the past via Old School Goa, such as Transwave. Fileld with crazy, zipping, popping, and bottle rocket shooting, rock skipping Goa butterfly sound effects, the song is creatively built and develops into a more driving road runner. A-

07. Combine Harvester is another strong, psychedelic vehicle. The artist's once again demonstrate build a super catchy and trippy dance track around a gripping and novel PSY "shakey melody/sound," never dismissing their aggressive edge and intensity. The song is however less comprised of various melody structures as previous tracks, it's a little more predictable but driving and fiercly catchy, melodic nonetheless. B+

08. Final Mission is more calm than previous numbers, but the artists avoid the concept of a Goa Ambient/Downtempo number to create a slower goa/psy trance piece. Following the continuously growing and developing of style of the artist's here, their previous songs, the echoed Psy melodic skip across the atmosphere as more layers arrive. It sounds like a dozen robots all moving around with different bells and tools. An original rhythm is comprised of all of these clinks and clanks. An industrial ambient tune appears rather simple. Suddenly around 3:52 the volume and aggression lifts a notch as the song exercises new expertise. The song becomes more thick and driving around 4:49, though it's a gradual development. A woman's voice enters around 6:18, a most unexpected and gentle, peaceful part on the album. The thudding of the drums compliments the gentle instrumentals; enter a violin. The track seems to be attempting to pull off at this point, but again, the artists satisfy the senses when they readjust the theme back to stronger energy around 8:00. It's as if they had a strong back up slid up their sleeve just incase a listener wasn't too fond of the more experimental, softer part. This is not the most infectious song on the album. But for a more chilled Goa/Psy piece, it's filled with interesting ideas; more work than don't. B

In conclusion, The Promised Land is excellent. I can't believe this was released in 1996. While not every track is superb, most of them are great and several are amazing!!! The artists came up with a fresh style, though the first song seems Juno-inspired, that deserves to be placed in any Goa lover's collection along the likes of Transwave's Helium, Phototropic and more multi-genre inspired works like Juno Reactor. Chakra and Edi Mis' debut, beginning with the second half of the opening song, establishes their adventurous choice to capitalize and expand an innovative style in the free spirited genre of Goa. I recommend finding a copy. Burning a copy. Don't burn the copy. Or take it out of the collection if you haven't heard it in a while. It's extremely effective to drive to with a nice car system. A year later in 1997, Pleiadian's I.F.O. would come along and raise the bar in Goa. But for 1996, even 2006, and 2008+ The Promised Land is one of the coolest, most innovative and unique albums I have ever heard in Goa Trance. New or Old School it doesn't matter. This thing is excellent. I've listened to it straight through a dozen times within two weeks. It's just a very strong album with several, though few weaknesses.

Favorite tracks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.

A-

• 2 weeks later...