1200 Mics album

I really dont understand... any one have noticed this? "PSYCHEDELIC TRANCE" making emphasis on PSYCHEDELIC... im tired of those against drugs in this genre music... How possibly could it be polemic theme that some guys make a record about drugs??? this is not american pop music...

i dont know maybe this name of the genre most be changed. i dont have nothing about people who dont use drugs.... its more i dont use it any more... but thats different to say that i would know this music as well if i would never tasted it. the one who has never tried and say "oh i love this music" is a fucking liar. anyway... this record isnt apear and some are talkin shit of something they dont know yet... EP most show us how political music fix in this genre...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Zaraknon

HAch: your theory = BULLSHIT!!

I've never tried it BUT I DO love Psy. Not that I'm in any way against the drug concept in Psy trance (just that it's a little overdone, quantitative, you know?) but sorry, I don't get the point that one has to take drugs (or in general, anything apart from listening and forming your opinion about it) in order to like any kind of music. It's all about the music itself, music IS the drug, believe me.

Guest Elysium Project

Well HAch I allready have released music that were a political statement such as my debut album in 1994 (or was i 95?) where I claimed my support to the children in Bosnia/Hercegovinia and donated 25% of the sales to a foundation in Denmark (Red Cross) helping the children that had lost their relatives. If you ever get the CD or vinyl "Dance For The Celestial Beings" in your hands then check out the text on it...It also protest against the anti rave bill issued in UK in 1994. I have not seen many acts do this on their albums.

Every single track on that album was with a political or daily issues titles such as keep it cool (about slowing down from the stressed world), Illusive world (about the dark clouds over Europe at the end of the conflict in Bosnia/Hercegovina), Aliens (about how we alinate this worlds minorities and underprivliged nations because of our systems, western leaders and governments selfish acts to get more and more nomatter how big the consequences are for other 3rd world countries.

I could go on about a lot of my other tracks which never have been about drugs but about issues that sorround us in our daily lives politicall, invoriomental ect. ect.

last. You say that people lie if they claim that they love psychedelic trance without having done drugs.... That must be the worst opinion I've yet heard on this forum..what an elitist way of thinking. Sadly you are not alone with this kind of thinking. That's what I find most sad in this scene. The small minority that believe they are the "true" goa/psychedelic trance peple. Thefact is that they are the ones that I call drug abusers.

By the way how many years have you listened to this music and been a part of this scene?

I bet many people in this forum have never done drugs but listened to the music and been apart of this scene since the early ninetees or longer. I know I have and before I tried drugs I loved the music just as much as after I did drugs.

I rest my case.

I can't beleave this comment made by Hach "the one who has never tried and say "oh i love this music" is a fucking liar. anyway... "

I can't disagree more with you. People that think like you are exactly the reason I don't go to parties any more (unless there is some great band like Juno Reactor performing live).

.....and I've been listening to this music since early days. I remeber going to parties and hear X-Dream-"5th dimension" or even Dance 2 Trance being played..Back then it was about music and not image, drugs, fiting into 'culture', fashion, and being "in" like nowdays.

The hardest drugs I ever did @ parties were beer and wine (rarely more than 2 drinks)....and you know what I LOVE THIS MUSIC AND I'M NOT LYING.

Guest hoffy

music lead me to drugs, not the other way around :)))) Obviously i can't prove this, but i don't think i would have smoked a joint if i wasn't listening to pink floyd, gong, jefferson airplane and soft machine and seeing drug references everywhere in both the music and the literature that surrounded the whole 60/70's improvised-psychedelic-rock thing- whatever genre you use to describe those bands- and i sure as hell wouldn't have taken acid if i hadn't ended up at a trance party and met some fluro-weirdo person saying "hey mate, u want a tab of acid?"

I've got plenty of close friends who don't use drugs, and they get into trance music 100% as much as anyone i know- and can dance just as long and as hard as anyone pinned to the eyeballs on their drug of choice (which is how i usually am :))

Having said that i don't believe songs themselves can have political messages- but the artists can stress their points with the linear notes in their releases- and it would make a refreshing change to read something of importance than some typical hippie-esque diatribe on entering new universes and exploring interdimentional something or others..

Guest dam10n

Elysium, you've laid yourself right down on the line there and maximum respect from planet dam10n... fucking wicked mate. Nice one.

Seriously, majorly nice shit there.

Guest Elysium Project

Thanx guys :-))

Nice to have a topic where people can discuss without arguing and attacking other people with other points of views. Cool.

Guest BRAIN

The thing is that politics and the politicians suck big time nowadays!

So it can be dangerous to produce music about that topic.

The scene may become something like anarchic - punk - harcdcore -metal style... which suck big time again..

I agree that lots of tracks are related to drugs and psychedelic experiences , but its psy-trance after all . Music that gets you to trance,hypnotizes and gives you psychedelic dreams,visions , thoughts , feelings.. So i find a bit hard to promote political ideas and propagandas via this style. Sure you can label a track something like 'terror in the middle east' and put some samples of Arafat or Bush or Ganti or Hitler or whatever but is that going to sound psychedelic...?

Or imagine a track which called 'Save the 3rd world' ..... a track for the unicef thingy..naaaah , toooo hypocritical.. like several pop f u c k i n g artist have done in the past.. Wanna help this poor guys ? donate food-money-clothes!

Again! Politic topic suck big time! ... Personaly i would like to see more tracks related to SPACE - TIME - MYSTICAL PLACES - MYTHOLOGY - EPIC - TECHNOLOGY- cultures - magic and other similar topics..

psychedelic trance is music which is meant to make you forget about everything in this cruel world and makes you feel happy , dance , smile and eventualy drives you to trance and to other dreamy dimensions... Thats the magic , and you dont need any drugs for that ... Drugs may enchance the whole experience , make it harder and deeper but surely make it dangerous for your body -mind and spirit ... Once again i will say dont do drugs , drugs are not toys ! The trance, ecstatic state can be reached just with the psy-trance and your mind.

Dont UNDERSTIMATE YOUR BRAIN !! ITS POWERFUL it DOESNT NEED DRUGS IN ORDER TO SUCCEED A TRIP- ... USE YOUR IMAGINATION AND THE MUSIC ! !

As for the new album of 1300 mics sounds like an advertisement of drugs !

Havent listened to that album yet , maybe musicaly will be fantastic but as far for the titles and the thematology its definetely not interesting for me!

Guest Mr.Hanky

i don't agree with you christian.

i think involving politics in Psytrance is a BIG mistake.

people go to psychedelic trance parties to forget about everyday troubles including politics and the sad state this world has come to.

and yes a lot of these people take drugs in that process.

so fucking with their minds with politic agendas under the influence of psychedelic substances is just plain wrong if u ask me.

maybe in the 60's the hippies joined forces to fight the system,

but today most people just want to live their lives.

in this crazy world u don't know what will happen tomorow.

i live in israel and the daily routine here is not a walk in the park(and let's not get into THAT topic please).

so when israeli dudes go to a party,

they want to let loose and not to join the parlement.

and i recon it's the same situation in 90% of the rest of the world( i have been travelling all over performing in parties in the last 3 years,so i allow myslef to claim that).

the gestures u made in your albums(donating income from the sales)

are highly noteable and respectfull.

but if you insert pilitics into the music you miss it's basic concept imo.

regarding GMS's release,

perhaps they went too far promoting the drug buisness.

i'm sure they ment it as a joke,i know these guys and they don't take themselves seriously.

but indeed they have great power in their hands,so-

it's one thing to name one or two tracks after a certain drug,

(wethear we like it or not drugs has a strong connection to psychedelic music)but maybe they pushed the envelope too much with this...

i haven't heard it though so i will stop here.

Guest Elysium Project

Mr. Hanky I do not say that the tracks should have samples such as "kill the jews" or "kill the palestinians".

I am talking about concepts. It's not that hard to use text on your cover stating at message, or name your tracks with titles that has a meaning about things that the artist think is important . And Brain I agree that a track does not nessesary have to be named "Save the Children in......" ect. But there's so many other ways you can title a track without making it into a cliché.

Hanky I know you are properly sick and tired of politics since you live in it everyday and I do understand but that dosen't nessesary mean that the rest of the world is sick of politics or other issues. All I am talking about is a bit more awareness about other issues in this scene than drugs and "space ships".

And to say that this scene only must/can be about psychedelic issues is in my mind very restrictive and quite frankly a very bnig and boring cliché.

Guest Elysium Project

PS.

My next album will be about the wolf and the wrong picture so many people have in their minds about the wolves due to a long exposure on film as an animal that ais connected to the "evil".

I will donate some of the money to a - not yet found - organisation that try to create an awreness in people's minds about the beauty of the wolf.

This is something I've been wanting to do for a long time and it just proves that there's so many other important topics to use than "oh I'm so stoned" topics.

Guest Mr.Hanky

man i'm all for animals and tons of other topics besides LSD and such,don't get me wrong.

i was talkin about politics here,and after september 11th i really think people outside of israel are also trying to forget about politics and concentrate about the music.

i know israel is not the only place on the planet,far from it my friend.

but i DO know parties which are the heart of the psytrance scene.

people come to have fun there.not to discuss tony blair's recent economical efforts nor miloshvit's war crimes trial.

if your agenda in politics is planet awarness and saving the image of wolves than i say kudos to you.i

t's nice and educational to put "real" text into the covers.

just don't bring territorial or racial issues into psytrance.

they do not belong there.

and excuse me but as a sci fi buff i think that although a cliche indeed, spaceships and aliens will still be in the psytrance scene long after the wolves and the politicians,wethear we like it or not...........

it's just more fun........

Guest Elysium Project

Mr. hanky I respect your opinion but I have to disagree with you. I do think that a lot of people actually are more into politics after the 11th and I don't think that they just want't to close their eyes and forget about it.

I also do not see how it can be so awful to for example use the cover artwork as a statement about lets say the enviroment, hunger, powerty ect. Afterall this scene claim to be very openminded and proud to value other things in life than "normal" people. Is all this talk only talk? I hope not.

I do think you have missunderstood what I mean. I am not saying that a lot of kids should stand in a party with rised fists shouting political staements while a track has samples with political statements.

I do say that it would be nice to see more artist writing statements on their CD sleves or release concept CD's with whatever subject they feel like. If a scene just is about one thing and closing it's eyes about the world sorrounding it, it very fast become shallow (in my opinion). This will not turn a party into a political conference.

And don't take me wrong I'm am not saying that artists should not be allowed to speak about drugs all I am saying is that it's just too much right now with almost every release the last 10 years being about drugs and spaceships. But I could be wrong and actually find myself in a scene that actually don't care about the outside world and it's issues and just want to escape into the dizzyness of drugs.

Guest Mr.Hanky

Well you are right that at it's basis the trance movement is about an open mind,peace,planet awarness and freedom of speech,

but it's also about a gathering of people just dancing together without any bullshit to speak of,just to have fun in unity.

i think alot of people like this music because it is INSTRUMENTAL,

therefore without any language barrier and truly universal.

it's not awful to have the cover artwork about poverty,misery and other human sufferings.But trust me man,you are alone in this one.

i never saw any cover like this before on a psytrance album.

at the end of the day you are selling a product and there are ways to sell it(and don't get me wrong, im not into psytrance because of the money)

and if a guy walks into a store and sees a hungry ethyopian child,

he will not jump on the bargain.

it's sad But true.

but i agree that there is a place for this kind of concept.

i don't think people are closing their eyes after the september 11th.

i myself am reading the paper each morning and take interest in what's happening in this world.

i know Terror is not a major issue in every country,like denemark for say,

but it's on the news of every country,and i think people just realized life is more fragile after the 11th.that's what i ment.

about the last 10 years of releases being realted to drugs,

well the whole dance scene is connected to drugs.

it's just that in the house scene no one dares to release a single with a drug in its title while everyone in the club are taking it,

and people like GMS just say,we do drugs and we are proud of it.

Guest Elysium Project

I am sorry but again I have to disagree with you. Firstly I don't think I am the only one to think it would be so wrong to make different artwork that actually have something to say rather than yet another cover with fractals or 3D objects. Again you missunderstand me a bit. I never said that there should be starving children on the cover or maybe I did not explain it well enough. A text on the back of the CD or in the booklet stating an opinion or the track titles being different than "normal" would be nice.

You also seem to think that I want this to be on every CD....no way man.... I am all for having a good time and let things go...but I am only reacting to teh fact that 8 out of 10 CD's are about drugs and way too many track (imo) have too many statements/samples praising drugs. But again I could be wrong here and maybe it's just little me alone against a drug infected scene that only want to think about drugs.... I refuse to think so.

When the scene and music started it had to do with supporting the music with drugs not as today supporting the drugs with music. This is where I think the scene (and yes I blaim the artists an labels) has gone totally wrong. If artists and labels become more fixated on the drugs than the music then the audience will too.... The result is a scene about drugs not music.

Well a bit off the topic but important I think :-)

Guest Mr.Hanky,for the last tim

important indeed

just about the covers,i also think fractals are passe man,

but there are other ways of being artisitic.

have u seen the psysex "Hardcore blastoff" cover for instance?

well let's leave it here,

GMS will sell thousands of copies regardelss ( and im not trying to have the last word here or anything :-) )

Guest Brain

I certainly agree with Elysium in one thing ! There must be a variation in the scene and topics. Drug related tracks are quite many , also space and alien are many also.. There are several other brainstorming and interesting topics such as Nature , ancient human culture, mythology, mysticism, human fears , great historic events , physics , unusual phenonona and many many other topics... IMO : Crystal Skulls compilation was a very nice idea! The whole concept was very different it wasnt a typical compilation , it was actually a journey into mystical place and objects with the music your guide..

Buut now the concept of the new album of 1300 mics , doesnt quietly makes sense to me..

a drug guide? a drug advertisememt? or maybe another profitable compilation because of the drug related names?

Anyway once again the topic = drugs.... baah..

Guys use your imagination! We know, we know, the most powerful substance and blah blah blah ... ok so what ? You miss the whole point here.. what is powerful and what is truly fascinating is not the substance but your BRAIN ...

Use it properly and you could create the most extradordinary , amazing trips,thoughts,images,feelings ... You only have to... LISTEN-MOVE-THINK, and let it go!

-stay psychedelic-

Well i think Infected mushroon said it good when the were asked in an interview what is the message in thier music. They replied that there is no message , just to dance and have a good time.

Topics such as politics can draw hard, and angry lines between people, even good friends. Just look at the political topics in this forum that you yourself EP have been a part of. They are not pretty, and never end well.

People have different views on drugs, but the topic of drugs does not set off emotions like that of political topics. Drug refrences in songs i think for the most part are not to be taken literally, along with other refrences and samples, and I for one never do take them literally. I don't think that people are putting drug refrences into songs to get people to think they they should do drugs. With politics tho, if you put a political message with a song or album, you actualy ARE trying to get people to listen to your message, and people arent listening to the music for that reason, and i think they dont want to be bothered with that when they are trying to chill out or dance. If a sample sounds good in a song or as a title, that all i care about. Im not listening to psy for a message, only to dance or chill out to. And even to forget about things for a while man. I think other forms of music take up political messages better than psy. I really dont know anyone who wants to buy or listen to dance music for a message, they just want to have fun or whatever.

EP if you want to dedicate your songs to a certian cause thats cool. But this is a form of music that I, and i think many others, just enjoy listening and dancing to.

Guest Elysium Project

Well oa again "as usual" you see things different than me (no surprise) but I for one find it quite disturbing to see all the drug relations and promoting in this scene. To me the scene has becomed more about drugs than the music. I am sure many other people agree with me but I am also very well aware of that none or very few of the drug users agree with me.

You write:

"Drug refrences in songs i think for the most part are not to be taken literally, along with other refrences and samples, and I for one never do take them literally"

Well I got news for you. Many many people do take it litteraly and do think that it's cool to do, live for and promote drugs because their favorite bands/artists/labels seem to think it's so cool and "in". I find it very unresponsible of the labels and artists to so blindly praise the drugs without even thinking about how many people they affect with their "pro" drug policies.

You also say that no people will listen to political messages ect. How do you know oa? Just because you wont there are many other people out there that might want to listen to it and actually agree to it.

You also say:

"I really dont know anyone who wants to buy or listen to dance music for a message, they just want to have fun or whatever."

Well I can to some extend agree to the fun part but I see a huge message in the drug promotion and indeed it's very much political. So to say that this scene isen't about statements I can only say that I couldn't disagree more with you.

You are intitled to your opinion as I am to mine but your arguments do not seem very well thought through in my opinion.

Your missing my point.

The drugs thing can be argued both ways but drugs and dance culture will always go hand in hand regardless. theres no arguing that. My comment was more about how politics.

What im trying to say is that politics should be kept out of the scene because like i said before it divides people, much more harshly than the straightedge/ drug user thing does. Like I said, there are other genres of music that i think cover political issues better, polotics shoulud be kept out of dance music. Especially psy. Polictics dont usually bring peace.

Guest Elysium Project

So if i state on a CD that i support children in the 3rd world from being killed and starved to dead that would be seen as a subjet for arguments and split people? I really do not see that as a subject to argue about.

Or if I make a CD promoting the idea of stopping our gouvernments unfair collecting of 3rd world deeds then that would make people angry? I could go on but I hope that you get my picture.

There are so many important subjects that I frankly think are way more important than praising the next joint and acid trip.

Yes you are right if I went on and said that all jews are nazies, all, palestinains are terrorrists, all african leade4rs are curupt, all chineese are fanatics or all americans are lunatics (which I by the way would never say) then yes it would be a subject of argument and not really that smart anyway.

But that's not what I am saying.

I just don't think that politics should be kept out of this scene. Why should it? Promoting drugs and drug use are just as much a political statement as anything else so if we should follow your opinion there should not be any more drug statements too.

And I don't buy tehe very old and flossy opinion that drugs goes hand in hand with the dance scene..It's just not true to a lot of none users and they are quite many these days but properly not the majority.

Just give me one good point why other scenes are better to use political statements? Aren't it a fact (or maybe not) that this scene see itself as one of the most openminded scenes when it comes to other cultures, religion, race ect.? If it's true then why not use such a powerful media as music to spread some awareness of what's going on in the world?

I await your respond with interest.