Latency Issues

Hi, I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction here.

I've just gone over to using Soft Synths instead of Hardware. I'm running A Yam SW1000XG Soundcard with the AN150 plug in board & VST 5.. I run the Card through XGedit which works great & instantly on a 1.3Ghz Machine ( 300MB Ram ).. I tend to Run Windows 2000 Server as I can turn off all the things the machine won't be needing.

With XGedit everything is lighning speed. I've a track using 14 Tracks used in VST & there's no Latency issues as I am assuming the Yam onboard chips are being used. I downloaded a few Plugins like Tau , Crystal etc.. but there is at least a 100ms delay between hitting a note & hearing it. I need to get plugins working as I don't have any cash to spend on anything else.

I am assuming the problem is because the processing is being down by the PC not the SW1000XG...

Also is there a way of routing a plugin back through the Xgedit so I can add my effects there rather than add more processing by using VST effects..

Any help would be Appreciated

Slam

lower the buffer size of your sound card...

which software are you using?

417418[/snapback]

Hi Philter, thanks for the tip..

Using the Latest SW1000XG driver into Cubase VST 5.0, Xgedit latest version.

Have most of the Free Plugins I could find on the web.. Issue is same on most of them..

I thought it was strange though that it didn't matter how many VST instruments I was using.. Increasing the number of instruments didn't noticably increase the delay or make the problem worse..

I've a lot of reading to do so not sure how to decrease the buffer size but I'll know in a couple of hours.

Regards

Slam

Hi Philter, thanks for the tip..

Using the Latest SW1000XG driver into Cubase VST 5.0, Xgedit latest version.

Have most of the Free Plugins I could find on the web.. Issue is same on most of them..

I thought it was strange though that it didn't matter how many VST instruments I was using.. Increasing the number of instruments didn't noticably increase the delay or make the problem worse..

I've a lot of reading to do so not sure how to decrease the buffer size but I'll know in a couple of hours.

Regards

Slam

417423[/snapback]

Quick Search revealled I alter it at the driver in Control Panel.. Thanks... Maybee I should RTFM.. & stop posting.. :)

ok:

in your start menu in the cubase folder, there should be a small app called "asio directx setup". in this app you can set the buffer size for both the input and the output of your sound card. obviously you have to choose the asio driver in cubase for low latency. stay away from the "asio multimedia" driver...its crap.

ok:

in your start menu in the cubase folder, there should be a small app called "asio directx setup". in this app you can set the buffer size for both the input and the output of your sound card. obviously you have to choose the asio driver in cubase for low latency. stay away from the "asio multimedia" driver...its crap.

417454[/snapback]

That's better - Thanks... I'm a happy man now.. :)

ASIO Direct X still sucks on my system (1 Ghz, Audiophile 2496). If that soundcard has its own ASIO drivers, it's much better to use these. And it seems it does have ASIO support: http://www.xgfactory.com/html/comp/drivers/driv_f.htm

For this you don't need to setup ASIO DirectX or ASIO Multimedia.

In Cubase: Options -> Audio Setup -> System

Then select the ASIO driver from your XG card and you'll see the latency.

If it's possible, click ASIO Control Panel (the setup of your soundcard) and maybe you can change the DMA Buffer Size there.

I use VST 5.1/32. I'm not sure if it's all the same for VST 5.0.

I vaguely remember I had troubles with 5.0, but with 5.1 it all worked perfectly so I recommend using that version.

ahh very good, compleatly forgot about that....only have a crapy creative sound card on the notebook, thats a much better idea... havent used v 5x in ages...hope he reads it ;)

417885[/snapback]

mmm I also had the previous Windows 2000 driver from 2001 which didn't have this but have upgraded so that helped...

Thanks guys it's been a productive day.. ( for music anyway.. my C coding suffered as a result !!!)

Have tomorrow off work so should be able to do something with the time for once..

Bit of reading also solved my other Problem with bad quality in the Mixdown using the loopback on the Soundcard.... It's amazing how sometimes the most complicated solutions are looked at first but it ends up to be something simple... Pans were set wrong on the Channel :rolleyes:

Regards

Slam

Dublin ( at the moment ) !!!