Qualium - 'Rusty'

Qualium

I've got a new track called 'Rusty' available for download.

[Edited for new link]: Click here.

It's a bit off the beaten track as far as psytrance goes, kind of darkish but kooky, with some off-the-wall sounds and atonality, and a bit of a groove feel. It was the result of some experimentation with a couple of softsynths that can manage some really unique and bizarre sounds.

So if you're curious about psytrance with a twist of the unconventional, see what you think of this effort, and I hope you enjoy it. :)

PS I only just noticed today, but I got registered as member no. 2000! (About 8 months ago mind you - I've been a bit of a lurker.) I don't know if that means anything, but I thought that was kinda cool. B)

hey man... your name caught my attention... Qualium.... right nearby where i live theres a place called Qualicum... heh... anyway i'm dowloading the song. I hope I like it.... i'll listen to it later...

hey man... your name caught my attention... Qualium.... right nearby where i live theres a place called Qualicum... heh... anyway i'm dowloading the song. I hope I like it.... i'll listen to it later...

362517[/snapback]

Heh, Qualicum - is that a Native Canadian name?

I understand where you got the name Rusty for the track, those scraping sounds sound like rusty metal. It's very different thats for sure. Not something i'm way into or anything but it kinda has a mood so thats good. Reminds me of some kind of minimalish something. Not too bad though. Thanx for sharing. B)

~airyck~

I understand where you got the name Rusty for the track, those scraping sounds sound like rusty metal. It's very different thats for sure. Not something i'm way into or anything but it kinda has a mood so thats good. Reminds me of some kind of minimalish something. Not too bad though. Thanx for sharing.  B)

~airyck~

367459[/snapback]

Yeah, Airyck, that's me mucking around with Absynth 2 and Logic 7's 'Sculpture' instrument (which I've only recently started using since upgrading my system a couple of months ago). It was a bit of an experiment to see what I could come up with without using traditional-style virtual analogue synthesis (apart from a few of the rhythm sounds). It wasn't meant to be any kind of 'Killaaauuuwwrgh!!!' track for a massive crowd - I had in mind the wee hours on a small, dusty, secondary dancefloor at an outdoor party here in Australia with a couple of dozen people gently grooving. So something quite understated but atmospheric.

I'm working on a few tricks to be able to draw greater power and flexibility out of these softsynths, and I should be able to serve up something using them which is a bit more musically acrobatic sometime soon.

And thanks heaps for your comments BTW :)

Q.

Yeah, Airyck, that's me mucking around with Absynth 2 and Logic 7's 'Sculpture' instrument (which I've only recently started using since upgrading my system a couple of months ago).  It was a bit of an experiment to see what I could come up with without using traditional-style virtual analogue synthesis (apart from a few of the rhythm sounds).  It wasn't meant to be any kind of 'Killaaauuuwwrgh!!!' track for a massive crowd - I had in mind the wee hours on a small, dusty, secondary dancefloor at an outdoor party here in Australia with a couple of dozen people gently grooving.  So something quite understated but atmospheric.

I'm working on a few tricks to be able to draw greater power and flexibility out of these softsynths, and I should be able to serve up something using them which is a bit more musically acrobatic sometime soon.

And thanks heaps for your comments BTW :)

Q.

368242[/snapback]

I fullfill precisely that purpose. Nice job.

Guest The Journey Man Project

A bit to much of the same some variety i the track would be good... a little moremelody, it''s abit to minimal...

A bit to much of the same some variety i the track would be good... a little moremelody, it''s abit to minimal...

370109[/snapback]

Thanks for the suggestion,TJM - yeah that's kinda what I'm feeling too. I think the weaving of the overall structure of tracks is where I'm still a bit weak. I find that I can come up with a few dozen bars that work the way I like and then things start to get a bit tangled up.

I'm trying to develop a method of working a bit more top-down - that is, giving the track some shape first before focussing on the finer details. It requires a bit of discipline though - it's all too easy to bash out a few nice-sounding sequences and then get lost in fiddling around with them, forgetting the bigger picture.

Another thing I noticed since posting this track is that a bit of the mix is way out - there's a few sounds in there that are difficult to hear properly, making it sound even more minimal than it is supposed to be. It sounded OK on my speakers (a pair of Alesis M1 Actives I've had for a few years) but not so good on my headphones. I should stop relying on my speakers for mastering, as I think the acoustics of my room is really messing with the mix.

• 1 month later...

Heh, Qualicum - is that a Native Canadian name?

362577[/snapback]

yep... there is a small town called qualicum, about 15 mins from where i am... how do you know where it is??....

by the way i listened to your song, and i must say it is pretty good ;)

I'm trying to develop a method of working a bit more top-down - that is, giving the track some shape first before focussing on the finer details.  It requires a bit of discipline though - it's all too easy to bash out a few nice-sounding sequences and then get lost in fiddling around with them, forgetting the bigger picture.

370569[/snapback]

Hey, i can relate to that

Focous on details and work the structure of a whole track going excatly where you want is extremily hard!