What are your roots?!

uhh.. i like this thread :)

well, at first what got me into music was probably my father.. i started listening to hes records at quite an early age.. he had all sorts of stuff.. old rock music, some electronica etc.. i used to be a huge fan of metallica for a while when i started going to school... :) soon though i found that my father had lots of cooler things.. found hes records of FSOL, Prodigy and Enigma.. got really hooked on those.. once i was about 13 i think, i met a boy in my class - never talked to him before - and he was into drum'n'bass.. well.. i had the prodigy records, he had some cool new stuff i'v never heard before.. so we traded and soon became really good friends.... well then i got really into dnb and went on like that for a few years.. wen't to my very first raves then (i grew up in a really small town so no one really cared how old you were - if you wanted to be in there.. you must have liked the music).. anyway times moved on.. so i just kinda calmed down to softer breaks to nu jazz to dub tp whatever till i found the 60's psychedelic rock music scene -- the doors!! now thats what really blew me away.. i loved the doors.. i got the whole discography, the lives, the unreleased stuff, the jim morrison haircut !! got really into psychedelic stuff.. though the old stuff really made me feel like i have been dead for 40 years and i was only 16.. so i started looking for newer stuff.. and eventually found psytrance.. it was strange.. i got really hooked from the first track.. about a week after i found the stuff, i didnt listen to anything else anymore.. the energy, the story.. the everything about this music was/is just so addictive..

when i say anything else i'm a liar.. i still listen to the doors :)

thats my story :P

uhh.. i like this thread :)

well, at first what got me into music was probably my father.. i started listening to hes records at quite an early age.. he had all sorts of stuff.. old rock music, some electronica etc.. i used to be a huge fan of metallica for a while when i started going to school... :) soon though i found that my father had lots of cooler things.. found hes records of FSOL, Prodigy and Enigma.. got really hooked on those.. once i was about 13 i think, i met a boy in my class - never talked to him before - and he was into drum'n'bass.. well.. i had the prodigy records, he had some cool new stuff i'v never heard before.. so we traded and soon became really good friends.... well then i got really into dnb and went on like that for a few years.. wen't to my very first raves then (i grew up in a really small town so no one really cared how old you were - if you wanted to be in there.. you must have liked the music).. anyway times moved on.. so i just kinda calmed down to softer breaks to nu jazz to dub tp whatever till i found the 60's psychedelic rock music scene -- the doors!! now thats what really blew me away.. i loved the doors.. i got the whole discography, the lives, the unreleased stuff, the jim morrison haircut !! got really into psychedelic stuff.. though the old stuff really made me feel like i have been dead for 40 years and i was only 16.. so i started looking for newer stuff.. and eventually found psytrance.. it was strange.. i got really hooked from the first track.. about a week after i found the stuff, i didnt listen to anything else anymore.. the energy, the story.. the everything about this music was/is just so addictive..

when i say anything else i'm a liar.. i still listen to the doors :)

thats my story :P

361813[/snapback]

Nice story :) I have to admit, that I too love the doors a lot (Not that this is something to be ashamed of hehe). I like the bit that your father actually listened to Prodigy and FSOL! I guess back in the days, when my father was young, Afrika Bambaata, Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dreams were like Prodigy and FSOL is for "younger" fathers :) How old are you, if I might ask? :)

One day I will have to sit and write my "biography" but its going to be way too long. I also totally left out the punk that I used to listen to. Hehe, I was a skater for many years, so there was a lot of Anthrax and so on going on. and Beasty Boys, dont get me started about them!

I still listen to all this music, as well, it kind of depends on my mood.

Electronic or psychedelic music and Dub/Reaggae has always been the roots though, and they will own the bigger part of my heart forever I think :)

Before I got infected with Psytrance (that was last year in winter), I was listening to Grindcore, Death- and Thrash Metal. But then, I got a trance mix tape from a friend and in the beginning I was thinkin, damn, whats this terrible noise. But after some weeks or so, I started to like it. :D

Nice story :) I have to admit, that I too love the doors a lot (Not that this is something to be ashamed of hehe). I like the bit that your father actually listened to Prodigy and FSOL! I guess back in the days, when my father was young, Afrika Bambaata, Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dreams were like Prodigy and FSOL is for "younger" fathers :) How old are you, if I might ask? :)

361993[/snapback]

i'm 18, and yeah I have a rather yong father.. hes 40. :)

well... so far interesting posts... this is basically how it happened for me.... my parents were devotees in the hare krishna temple in toronto, canada, dad malaysian, mom white (canadian), i was born in 89... grew up listening to music all genres, loved rap from like 5 to about 9 or ten... lost interest as the gangsta scene got into place, hearing a little techno from my cousin (6 years older than me).

11,up to like12 or 13 i listened to rock some more rap lots of rap **blush** and yes gangsta rap, alittle madonna, moby, little bit of electronica, rave trance (marcov <_<, and them) and I listened to all these guys for awhile. and found that there was not enough Substance inall these genres, I leaked into underground electronic (hooking up circuits connected to speakers, the whole noise genre, drill'n'bass,drumnbass, etc.)

i first got into psytrance when i was 14... i was a gamer... but soon found my games lacked substance lols... one day i was looking for game music by this game programmer. found NOTHING. but.... i found spacetribe's - out there in the universe.... that song hooked me. trance grew inside me and in the words of his "you wanna get high" the brain has under gone a major upheaval heh;). i later heard his sonic mandala album Amazing, very psychedelic prolly one the finest in psy (and please don't say you need to get out more... i've heard plenty, and this is true goa trance in its rawest form)

my parents being devotees to an indian religion only strengthened my bond with trance.... heh.... i'm 16 now.

well... so far interesting posts... this is basically how it happened for me.... my parents were devotees in the hare krishna temple in toronto, canada, dad malaysian, mom white (canadian), i was born in 89... grew up listening to music all genres, loved rap from like 5 to about 9 or ten... lost interest as the gangsta scene got into place, hearing a little techno from my cousin (6 years older than me).

11,up to like12 or 13 i listened to rock some more rap lots of rap **blush** and yes gangsta rap, alittle madonna, moby, little bit of electronica, rave trance (marcov <_<, and them) and I listened to all these guys for awhile. and found that there was not enough Substance inall these genres, I leaked into underground electronic (hooking up circuits connected to speakers, the whole noise genre, drill'n'bass,drumnbass, etc.)

i first got into psytrance when i was 14... i was a gamer... but soon found my games lacked substance lols... one day i was looking for game music by this game programmer. found NOTHING. but.... i found spacetribe's - out there in the universe.... that song hooked me. trance grew inside me and in the words of his "you wanna get high" the brain has under gone a major upheaval heh;). i later heard his sonic mandala album Amazing, very psychedelic prolly one the finest in psy (and please don't say you need to get out more... i've heard plenty, and this is true goa trance in its rawest form)

my parents being devotees to an indian religion only strengthened my bond with trance.... heh.... i'm 16 now.

362432[/snapback]

If I am not totally wrong, Ian Ion of KoxBox (finest danish psy) is a Krishna devotee as well (I know he was a couple of years ago for SURE) :) I have a couple of Krishna cds from him, that are pretty wicked. Kind of Krishna Psy haha :) Maybe your parents know about him?

If I am not totally wrong, Ian Ion of KoxBox (finest danish psy) is a Krishna devotee as well (I know he was a couple of years ago for SURE) :) I have a couple of Krishna cds from him, that are pretty wicked. Kind of Krishna Psy haha :) Maybe your parents know about him?

362472[/snapback]

heh no... my parents listened to zero psy, but now my mom likes everything i play for her.... which is always cool ;) but i'll take a look in our krishna catalog heh he might not even be there but it's worth a try

heh no... my parents listened to zero psy, but now my mom likes everything i play for her.... which is always cool ;) but i'll take a look in our krishna catalog heh he might not even be there but it's worth a try

362475[/snapback]

The cds that I have, they are official Krishna cds :)

Posted Image

One of the cds :)

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

If you ever see a copy of Anne Clarke remixes, look if its the one that has Total Eclipse and Juno Reactor remixes on it :)

Damn, memories memories :)

359715[/snapback]

I know this one, i borrowed from my local 'mediathèque'. The remixes are excellent, The Total Eclipse's one of Our Darkness is more famous but i was more impressed by the Juno one (btw don't remember which title they remixed) as i never saw anybody talking about it anywhere on psytranceboards.

I'll try to borrow it again if i get the opportunity ^_^.

I didn't got a real background musical approach before discovering goa.

Nevertheless i perfectly remember the first time i got hooked with a song a bit connected with electronic style. It was in spring 1987, each end of afternoon the saturday, i was waiting for watching the clip of M.A.R.R.S - Pump Up The Volume.

I started to be more interested in a specific music style the electronic one :acidhouse with Beatmasters, S-Express,Inner City etc.. from this moment.

Then acidhouse disappeard progresively & i focused more on commercial releases (eurodance) upto the remix consecration arrival of K.L.F with Last Train To Trancentral in 1991 (btw the original is from 1989). I even bought the cd maxi & the album 'The White Room' on K7.

The birth & big Eurotrance trend didn't took a long to follow this release, & i took this train moving too with names such as Age Of Love, Visions Of Shiva(Cosmic Baby + Paul Van Dyk), Marmion...

I already heard Goa without realizing it (i remember restropectivly having heard Mahadeva at the radio) , i waited spring 1996 while i bought Tantrance 2, just after checking at the listening test point, to discover it.