Guest Astro Cortex

Guest Astro Cortex

Limelight (1993 Fax)

Posted Image

1. 06:38 Limelight (Holy Guitar Mix)

2. 06:01 mens, mentis (lex durus Mix)

3. 05:44 repentium venenum

4. 05:51 sorti destinatus

5. 05:45 aquamentus (frater syntheticus Mix)

6. 07:09 rerum natura (pluris costare Mix)

7. 07:40 amicus certus in re incerta cernitur

8. 05:52 vastum maris aequor

9. 06:08 momentum

10. 05:57 loca aspera

11. 06:41 homo ambiens

All tracks written by Pete Namlook & DJ Brainwave, except "homo ambiens" by Pete Namlook

This is a Namlook trance classic. It's hard trance / acid trance actually, and Pete was sort of a pioneer in that style, at least in the German scene. So it is very original stuff for its time. And guess what, it still sounds great! It has playful acid- and bouncing basslines, it is catchy without being cheeze, and it also has the trademark Namlook synth pads. In other words, it simply rocks :D .

Embedded in between all those dancefloor stormers is sorti destinatus, a spaced-out ambient piece of incredible beauty and simplicity. There are two other very nice ambient tracks on here: vastum maris aequor and (you guessed it ;) ) homo ambiens. The trance tracks show a surprisingly intelligent structure, if compared to the more mainstream trance sound. Aquamentus, for example, is almost Goa trance to my ears. Rerum natura I like even better, it's quite a joyful and uplifting tune, plus the melody from sorti destinatus returns in an altered form, and to great effect. But after that comes amicus certus in re incerta cernitur, and WOW this is one hell of a kick-ass funky acid cracker!! The simple arrangement of the drums and hihats and that alien sounding main theme, it all fits together so nicely. And to round it off, Pete adds some deliciously smooth synth pads on top of it all. Stunning. Loca aspera is the most twisted and agressive tune here, and it has an acid line that blows your socks off! A nice climax before we drift off with the aforementioned ambience.

This album was put together of several 12"s and it is quite easy to tell which tracks were on the same record. The notes from sorti destinatus fit quite well into rerum natura for instance, whereas repentium venenum and momentum sound a bit too similar IMO. Anyway, it's a very nice oldschool trance album that always brings a smile to my face at one point or another.

favourites: 4(!), 6, 7 (!)

This album is very hard to find nowaydays, but you might still want to check out this compilation:

http://www.discogs.com/release/209790

It's a 3CD set of early trance from the Fax label and it contains mens mentis and amicus..... from the Limelight album.

Guest Astro Cortex

The older Fax releases are all limited to 500 or 1000 copies only. Some of them have been re-released on Pete's Ambient World sublabel and in much higher quantities, so they're quite easy to find. The originals have better cover art than the reissues though ;)

A old statement from me: The music on FAX are great, but this Label self sucks.

I don't like their mass releasing and their limited copy shit. :P