Room acoustics

In my studio, the sound is really bad. its a small room (about 16m2) so, how should i mangae this? im almost sure i need bass-traps (cause the bass rumblesvery deep)

Are there people to hire who can solve my problem, or some kind of measuring device i need to do it myself?

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi ya,

yeah with a room that small you are looking at a resonant frequency of say 60 to 100Hz. Which will not help you mix accurately at all. Before buying bass traps, you can try:

1. Place your monitors on stands. The mid point between tweater and woofer should be level with your ears when you are trying to mix.

2. make sure your monitors are at least 50cm away from all walls and corners. Preferably more (ie. 1M, 1.5M).

3. if your monitors are rear ported, jam up the ports with some old rolled up socks. For rear ported speakers to work correctly they will have to be around 1M from the wall, and in a room the size of yours, I guess that's not usually possible.

4. if your monitor(s) are near a corner, jam up one/all of the bass ports (if any). This helps prevent bass BOOM!

5. Start to play some music you know is mixed well, and move your monitors around. They should be in an equilateral triangle with your head, ie. 1.5m between speakers, 1.5m from left or right speaker to your head. Don't make 'em too far apart or you will leave a hole in the stereo image. Try listening to some music with a lead vocal (which will be panned dead centre) to see if this is ok. And usually toe them in a little (angle them to face you).

6. Problems with bass are that it tends to double up when it bounces off a wall, and then you have zones where there is no bass cause it has canceled itself out! Just try to make sure you are sitting NOT in one of these funny zones (easier said than done). Easiest would probably be to order some bass traps :)

hope this nonsense helps!

miKe