sub genres

if I put music it subcategories, it would be something like this:

Psychedelic Ambient:

-With a beat/rhytm

---Trance-ambient (old Asura, Aes Dana,... so with a 4/4beat)

---Dubby ambient (like OTT, some LSD releases,...)

---Typical psychedelic ambient (Entheogenic, most Ultimae Records,...)

---World/Tribal ambient (last shpongle, makyo,...)

-Without a beat

---Experimental (Ollie Olsen/Biosphere style)

---Atmospheric (New age style)

Goa Trance (old school)

-Acid Trance (303 drenched melodic psychedelic music, style Green Nuns, mindfield)

-Nitzhonot (übermelodic, happy simple Israeli goa trance)

-Night Style (dark very psychedelic but still melodic music, UX, Slide,...)

-Morning style 'typical goa trance' (MFG, Astral Projection, Power Source,...)

-Tribal Goa Trance (with lots of tribal influences, Bodh Gaya, Sonic Fusion....)

New school:

-Same as above, but with better production and some different influences

Dark psychedelic Trance

-Minimal style (very straightforward aggressive, like Parasense, Kindzadza,...)

-Very psychedelic furious style (Grapes of Wrath, Scatterbrain)

-Forest style (Mostly Swedish stuff with melodies combined with forest sounds, Ka Sol, Derango,...)

-South African (typical style, for some this would fit in the full on section tho)

Full On

-Dark (Dark music made with the typical full on bassline and noises, Rinkadink)

-Typical Full On (well, Astrix, Delirious,...)

-Melodic full On (old school influenced - Electric Universe, Misted Muppet,...)

Progressive

-Housy (rather slow clubby, groovy music, like Son Kite,...)

-Not Housy (most older progressive, like Atmos, Medijum releases)

-Melodic Progressive (progressive beats with old school influenced melodies, Soul Surfers, Blue Vortex,... sometimes close to full on)

Psytekk

-Hard and very dry music, concentrates on rhytm only (Spirralianz, Delta,...)

Suomi/Australia/experimental trance

-Typical Suomi/Australian style (hard to describe... listen! Texas Faggot,Shango,...)

-Experimental (psychedelic music mixed with Jazz,breakbeats,...)

338249[/snapback]

Anoebis did a good job there.

And the years do make a difference, because, while some artists always break the mould of any era, psytrance has a definite overall evolution.

1993 to ~ 1997 = the age of Goa (although "Psy" was used as a term back then too)

1998 to maybe ~ 2000 was a transition to Psy but at the same time Minimal started to rear its ugly head and took over to the point that, for a while, everything that was Goa was dried right out of many releases.

Then maybe 2001 or 2002 was transition to more fullon sounds... which moved into what was now (at its worst) an instantly identifiable steeming pile of shit. At the same time, another path was developing --> Progressive.

Now you can find Goa inspired fullon. New school pure oldschool (rare). Fullon inspired Progressive. The list goes on...

Don't worry so much about this shit. Listen to what is good ;)

if I put music it subcategories, it would be something like this:

Psychedelic Ambient:

-With a beat/rhytm

---Trance-ambient (old Asura, Aes Dana,... so with a 4/4beat)

---Dubby ambient (like OTT, some LSD releases,...)

---Typical psychedelic ambient (Entheogenic, most Ultimae Records,...)

---World/Tribal ambient (last shpongle, makyo,...)

-Without a beat

---Experimental (Ollie Olsen/Biosphere style)

---Atmospheric (New age style)

Goa Trance (old school)

-Acid Trance (303 drenched melodic psychedelic music, style Green Nuns, mindfield)

-Nitzhonot (übermelodic, happy simple Israeli goa trance)

-Night Style (dark very psychedelic but still melodic music, UX, Slide,...)

-Morning style 'typical goa trance' (MFG, Astral Projection, Power Source,...)

-Tribal Goa Trance (with lots of tribal influences, Bodh Gaya, Sonic Fusion....)

New school:

-Same as above, but with better production and some different influences

Dark psychedelic Trance

-Minimal style (very straightforward aggressive, like Parasense, Kindzadza,...)

-Very psychedelic furious style (Grapes of Wrath, Scatterbrain)

-Forest style (Mostly Swedish stuff with melodies combined with forest sounds, Ka Sol, Derango,...)

-South African (typical style, for some this would fit in the full on section tho)

Full On

-Dark (Dark music made with the typical full on bassline and noises, Rinkadink)

-Typical Full On (well, Astrix, Delirious,...)

-Melodic full On (old school influenced - Electric Universe, Misted Muppet,...)

Progressive

-Housy (rather slow clubby, groovy music, like Son Kite,...)

-Not Housy (most older progressive, like Atmos, Medijum releases)

-Melodic Progressive (progressive beats with old school influenced melodies, Soul Surfers, Blue Vortex,... sometimes close to full on)

Psytekk

-Hard and very dry music, concentrates on rhytm only (Spirralianz, Delta,...)

Suomi/Australia/experimental trance

-Typical Suomi/Australian style (hard to describe... listen! Texas Faggot,Shango,...)

-Experimental (psychedelic music mixed with Jazz,breakbeats,...)

338249[/snapback]

this is indeed well done but I prefer everything considering the date of release... everything is bouned to when time periods it's released... at the other hand your catergory is more understandeble for those who didn't experience the evolution of goa...

I prefer not to include date of release ...it makes all too confusing for me ...but it doesn't matter...

anyway. of the music with beats (excluding all ambient), I think I like Psytekk best...

I've heard some samples on that electronic music guide, the one with cheesy flash graphics but funny comments, that were quite good.

------

as for this track, Kox Box - The Great Unknown - 03 - The Great Unknown, there's something minimal about it that I like .... but I don't it's consider psytekk though.