HALLUCINOGEN Live

Guest Tentwins

Hallucinogen will be playing in Mexico City this weekend in Danzoo.

Has anyone seen Mr. Posford live?

Is it worthy??

Unwittingly, it will be indoor.

Mijis, where the hell are you??

Guest amitabha

he plays his tracks from a harddrive machine where he have all the sounds separated so he have full control of all sounds through the mixer.. then he have his computer with him so he can spice a little extra power in his livesets with some softsynth or something ..

i call this very live :)

Guest Rumz

hes a great musician, but his live sets are just him playing records or like J. ;) said its like he plays the same thing directly off his computer... great music.. and definatly worth going, but dont expect new tracks or variations of old ones..

RumZ

Guest bugbread

Well, it isn't QUITE him just playing records. But it is a live mixing set, not a live performance set.

For a relatively detailed description from the man himself about his live sets:

< a href="http://www.shpongle.com/hallucinogen/sound-technical.htm">http://www.shpongle.com/hallucinogen/sound-technical.htm

His sets can vary from really great to just good. Nothing extraordinary most of the time, but listening to 1.5 hours of Simon Posford on giant speakers surrounded by dancing people is a great feeling in it's own right.

Also, note that he plays maybe 90% Hallucinogen and then 10% Younger Brother/Fly Agaric/etc. So maybe one or two tracks out of the set will not be Hallucinogen per se.

Guest Lifeform

Why are you giving posford a hard time with this...? Do you expect him to have 50 arms and legs to play every single SYNTHESIZERED note? Lets just face it.. It's very rare to have a COMPETELLY live goa artist set. It's impossible, so leave him be.

sorry if this sounds bitchy but i'm running on 45 minutes of sleep with in the last 48 hours.

Guest 3001

well just for your information m8 most goa lines aren't played they're sequenceD: ) and most little goa sounds aren't played maybe a little filtwer tweak, it'd be easy to have a live pa if you had your studio set up for that. it's really what you're used to. POsford's studio is setup ...well VERY studio like...and he seems to sample a lot of his synthesizers...so he really can't get his sound live, but YES live goa *IS* do able. You have to change what you think *live* is though:) if people were playing instruments and it was making psy it'd get boring really fast... you ever hear those *livE* drum n bass bands? they're HORRIBLE, they get so boring because they don't know they can't have the same sound over and over again :P and you ahve to with only 1 instrument=P

Guest mindbender

I think that he played a very 'live' live in Helsinki about a month ago. Some of the tracks were basically album versions, but on others, he had really made live mixes, with it all being slightly different, different arrangement, with some (probably prepared, I don't care) new sounds etc.. Unfortunately he played EVERY track that he had collaborated on on Unusual Suspects, leaving less time for Hallucinogen itself.

He is only one guy with a pair of hands, considering that, it was all very live.

Go see him, it should be awesome.

Lauri

PS. I've seen so many "lives" that are really not live at all, that well... It's a bit pissing off when someone comes to play "live" with just a DAT machine. Posford was far from it.

• 1 month later...
Guest Psyberpunker

At first big respect for the amazing production work of Simon P.

For me he's one the most interresting contempory artist. his balsting music is shpongling your body like nobody else and his ambient music is shpongling your brain really really far away from the Terrapark illusions and I love it :o))))))

I can not say if he play live or not (He play for us in 96 and it was unfortunatly not a live set... but it's a long time ago, and I'm sure he got the knowledge to do it live!!! maybe he's afraid to take the risk??)

I promote party since the eighty. At the start of the 90: it was some real live: like Solar Quest, UVW, Zen paradox, or Total Eclipse...

but sure the sound was not as powerfull than records, it's certainly one of the main reason that push most of "bands" to do this kind of Adat live ;o)

hello Lifeforme (respect for the 45 min of sleep. Since mars I'm running with 2-3 hours of sleep a night and have to "live" like this till the Naturalp in october... so I totally understand: no time for diplomaty ;o))

I'm sorry to say you: full live are totally possible: sure this is a massive work and you can not be alone on stage if you want to have your sounds changing as fat as records...

but if you want to discover a REAL 100% LIVE set come up in the Alps in Sweetzerland the 4-5-6 october: In Entropia will play up there, like each year at the Naturalp

They are all from the Jazz scene (are between 30 and 45 years old) and their music is a real improvisation: they produced no records, and they don't care a shit about it..

the only stuff that interrest this guys is doing a full real time music: all the sequence are live programming with machine like analogic sequencer, overdub recording with analogic delay of Oberheim.... they have drummer, bass player, flute players, guitar player, lot of electronic machines and they are blasting :o)) following one of their live (between 4 and 8 hours of sonic travel, is like sticking a sonic acid in the middle of your brain ;o))

but sure it's really rare and this guy experiment this kind of improvisation since 10 years... and it's only as good as records since 2-3 years...

And sure they are human and sometime it's always not perfect like a machine can be,.....

I hope it will come more usual to see this kind of real live in the future with more bands...

Check also Hilight Tribe, this French guys do also a full live music, a bit less dance floor, but really interresting...

Long life to real time music :o)))