3. LOST

4. DISCONNECT

5. SLOW POKE ( TWILIGHT ZONE MIX )

6. HEADCASE

7. PING PONG

8. MIND IN REWIND

9. I NO

10. I DON'T KNOW

After 5 years of waiting, here is the fourth album by famous techno DJ, Richie Hawtin.

And you could expect a little bit more effort after 5 years of waiting and many years of experience. You would expect that after brilliant CONSUMED he would make a blast now, going further down the stream, and instead he is loosing himself in explanation, non sense sounds and noises and just a little bit manical approach towards music making.

His first song ASK YOURSELF is a dark intro, having pretty sick sample through the track, having very ambiental structure and tripped out atmosphere. I like this track. It sounds like an intro to some weird movie.

Next track MIND ENCODE is pretty nice song. It has similar feel like on Consumed having minimal structure and ominous feel.

LOST is almost classical piece with its gentle, soothing melodies that really make you feel lost somewhere. It is one of the most thought through tracks here and it is even so short...it should have been longer actually.

DISCONNECT continues in the style of the first track, again with sickening vocal that tells you the 'urban visdom'. It could have been better track, he misses something, it just sounds too minimal and without any specific meaning.

SLOW POKE is another minimal track wihtout any basic point, just random thrown sounds and effects, it seems he didn't put so much effort into making this album.

HEADCASE already sounds more interesting and like Consumed brother, but he again fails into creating detached and bleaked atmosphere as he used to. Either he moved onto crack and completely lost his inspiration or something CLOSING happend to him.

PING PONG is one of the most interesting songs on the album...he finally added some kick and actually take you somewhere instead of non sense random music making like on the rest of the album.

MIND IN REWIND is maybe the best track here. His old 303 sounds are here and much varied arrangement. It moves slowly but it does take you somewhere, but still drags.

I NO is short interval between last track and next one and it sounds as pretty good intermezzo.

I DON'T KNOW is the longest one here and one of the better ones as well...it is also liquid and with distinctive rhythm. it reminds the most on his previous works. Instead of making whole album like that he only made 2 tracks with some sense.

Unfortunately I like this album the least by this ambient master. It seems he lost some of ideas, decided to make literally CLOSED album for coming down on heroin or any kind of twisted opiate cause that is how it sounds, way too minimal and closed.

6/10

Unfortunately...

Are you sure this wasn't 2004?

By this point, Hawtin was living with Sven Vath and into too damn many drugs.

This work is mostly boring, a bit like Matthew Dear but without the soul. It's way too repetitive to be accessible even to music fans.

3/10. Bugger.