• monster = 1/10
    • skazi = a big fat zero.

Compilation: Pyrogenetic

Label: Psytropic Records

Year: 2005

Format: CD

Web: http://www.psytropic-records.de/

Label Info:

Founded in 2003 by Thomas Vitali (Chemicus), Psytropic aims to provide music with no fixed styles within Psy trance & Goa, showing the same dynamic of change reflected by the scene itself.

Posted Image

Songs:

01. Psynina - Between Spheres *

02. Thujon - Human Imagination *

03. Sixsense - Dancing Alone

04. Ultravoice - Desert Fly

05. Chromatone - Xes *

06. Intersys - Experiments

07. Elec3 - 40 Amps

08. Ananda Shake - The Movie Star

09. D-Tek - Restricted Area (Audio X Remix) *

10. Dark Nebula - Space Weed

The meat :

* 01. Psynina - Between Spheres

From her last appearance in Psyinjection (Psytropic), Nina has covered some ground and with this song it seems undeniable the girl is making some strides. The doors to Pyrogenetic open with a liquid treatment of echoing drops and German samples that make me wish I would have finished the language course. Below the hood, the kick is letting us know she means business though. As the beats develop in between bubbly noises with such delight, it is hard not bob your head with smile like an Asian doll. The chopped up voice reminds me a bit of samples used in Deja Vu Project on the live version of "Zen" (V/A - Zen – Déjà vu). Added to the combination, a strange voice wallowing in the midst of some otherworldly meditation. While the timelines runs its course we are treated to a delightful assortment of heavenly pads rounding up the production quite well.

* 02. Thujon - Human Imagination

The freakuilzer has been surprising me lately since my last encounter on (V/A – Interphase - Alchemy) The full-on-ish aspects to the production are still there. The higher frequencies bring back that groove factor I sense in Black and White through the first part of the shindig. I might have a dislike for the two-three note melody by the end buzzing like a raver boot camp. But, i have no clue with what to replace it either.

* 03. Sixsense - Dancing Alone

Sixsense has been releasing on Pukka music, Spliff, Utopia and Yellow Sunshine explosion in the past. This time the production dwells in lighter melodies presented as easily digestible psy trance for the club the generation. At the beginning, what sounded to me like a bamboo flute with an electronic tail, and the samples of a Madonna wanna-be singer turned me off a bit. After that, it is just a matter of letting the song do his thing and it does it well. The leads and synth's echoing in trip mode intensify considerably as the song progresses in very tuneful way.

* 04. Ultravoice - Desert Fly

No doubt Avi L. has been working hard in these last couple of years with two albums under his belt on Com.Pact and numerous appearances on Phonokol, Utopia, Alchemy, Ajuca and yes Psytropic amongst others. By this point the Ultra Voice has had enough experience time on the sequencer to make the kind of music he likes. A combination of psy trance with a moving and unthreatening rhythmic spells, combined with light and sunny overtones.

* 05. Chromatone Xes

Chromatone has been spreading good vibes on Vaporent, Mechanic Sound and Spun to name a few examples. From my last encounter with his style in Mind Funk Records, on their release V/A - Twilight Twisters (with “Soul Storm”), I hear some clear signs of kinship amongst these two songs, but still find his music hypnotizing. It is this same mutating riff immersed in distortion squelching his way through a transient journey. Eitherway, there are interesting technical aspects to the production.

* 06. InterSys – Experiments

‘In the mid nineteen fifties the army's chief of chemicaaalll intelligence, preached a new military doctrine, of war without death…” The voice samples echo after the piano delights in nursery rhyme mode. InterSys consists of Omri A. und Mark P from Israel. The young buds treat us to a cute song with candy melodies and a number of very interesting samples (I won't give them away, though), turning parts of the song a bit like a story… I enjoy this now and again, when people take the time to catch your attention with something mildly interesting. The squelchy noises in a harmonic rhyme are catchy and for this type of production; ideally suited to take your girl on the dance floor (or as an excuse to go find yourself one) for a while without necessarily stomping your feet like monkey.

* 07. Elec3 - 40 Amps

“It was great for a while, like this weight was lifted of my shoulders and you were the one that was supposed to carry us through, but that is not what is happening… the problem here is trying to get out…- no, I said what did you do!” I'm not sure what she did or who is in charge of the beats section between Igal, Brisker, or Leonid but the bouncy bass line stuck in between the electric percussion sweetens the deal a bit for me. Their work has been featured before in Spliff music, Magma, Utopia, Mahogany, Turbo Trance and the newly formed Digital Oracle. From the label names alone it should be clear the sound is highly melodic with heroic leads and a lot of action on the higher frequencies, well 40 amps is no different. The song is moving as the riffs evolve on top of all sorts of psy-effects. I personally like my trance with a bit more variation and spikes on the speakers but, I could claim the same with a number of tunes present in this compilation.

* 08. Ananda Shake - The Movie Star

Osher Swissa and Lior Edri have had a good run in the melodic market with a number of tracks dispersed throughout Shiva Space Japan, Crystal Matrix, Mahogany and Fungi records just to count a few. ‘The Movie Star' presents an interesting proposal based on a sample of the Gladiator movie, when the massacre is taking place in Albion… or so my slightly senile sources inform me -and I can partially attest. It sounds like a cello accompanied by a small orchestra with the war drums included. The output is battle-cry dramatic. As the drum is suppressed for the electronic equivalent, the song goes into full electronic mode smoothly. In the midst of it all we find the typical Ananda Shake: Melodic and Energized by the pink bunny himself. The break comes around and there is that sample again with a fitting lead. Where's my shield and sword cause I'm feeling like slashing some orcs! The danger of using such cinematic samples is that your sound might not carry through all that emotion originally conveyed... especially if you set your standards that high and have a slight weakness for classical music. From this point on though, is pure psychedelic candy as the original notes of the cello transpire to an electronic arpeggio and finely tuned accompaniments.

* 09. D-Tek - Restricted Area (Audio X Remix)

I have not heard the original version (from V/A – Decoder – Neurobiotic) and to be honest Audio X does not ring many bells either, except that mention on V/A – Higher levels (Fungi records) in the past. So in short, the song transports you well to the Aliens movie where the options are ‘do or die' in the claws of the space fiends. The intensity levels fly higher than usual on this release and that is refreshing, as the samples of “proceed to nearest evacuation facility” zoom past the speakers. The action here comes from all angles in a musical manner, but with no intention of sounding flowery.

* 10. Dark Nebula - Space Weed

"Spaced weed can be smoked or ingested orally, because of its intoxicating effect. And the fact that it is supposedly habit-forming…” Nebula got some funky greens this time around to share. In ‘Space Weed' the dark clouds that surround this project, in respect with what he has shown us during the years, have been replaced with a strangely groovy edge. The bass and the synths alone are enough proof to assert these claims. I like my nebula a bit darker and with no cream, please… Eitherway the "Space Weed" acts as a fitting night cap closing the compilation well.

Favorites:

1, 2, 5, 9

Get it now:

Psyshop

Chaos Unlimited

SaikoS

PsySale

Samples by Psytropic Records