V/A - Complexity (Coldgroove)

freak51

1. Spirallianz / Magnitudes

2. Axiomata / Ethereal

3. Echotek / Get Light

4. Nuclear Ramjet / Operation Northwood

5. Nuclear Ramjet / Neoponik

6. Mass Turbo / Sitcom Drama

7. Midi Miliz / Cyclic Structures (Restructured)

8. Tetraktys / Lightframe

9. Metalogic / Gradient

This is certainly the comp of the year, and comes awfully close to being the album of the year. It's that good.

Spirallianz spends about 40 seconds warming us up and then starts a-rockin'. Then, at 3:15ish they show what makes them so special, with a sustainable twist that turns your brain inside-out. It's a triumph.

Axiomata's track is solid progressive psy-tech, with some of the same groove as on last year's comp, but it's all good.

Echotek as usual comes so close to not sucking, they have so much talent but they keep pandering with proggy sounds that don't hold up to repeated spins. It's a serviceable track, but after a few listens, I find myself skipping this one because I know what's coming up next. However, those who are into prog sounds will adore this track. It's all on purpose.

Nuclear Ramjet keeps releasing better and better tracks. These two are the best he's ever produced. A whole album this good would be a gem. Please do! Operation Northwoods chugs along with some guitars that aren't out of place and a bit of a brooding rainy-day backdrop, plus pinging submarine-like noises. Neoponik is a mindbending psy-tech masterpiece. The washboard-like 5-in-4 backdrop is killer with the genius high-hat work and that groovy baseline. The last intermission and then kick-drum resumption at 5-ish minutes sets my hair on fire.

Mass Turbo's track is a nice proggy piece with whalesong-like pads. It works.

The Midimiliz remix is nice to have, but it's not much different from the original standout track off 2004's Maniac IQ comp.

The Tetrakys piece is typical; if you like their sound you'll like this track.

The Metalogic release is a bit slower, about 125 BPM broken-beat with vibraty percusion and a bit of understated glitter thrown in. Truly, the samples for the upcoming album sound more impressive, but this track is professional-grade if unspectacular. It would work to set a mood.

8.5/10. The Spirallianz and two Nuclear Ramjet tracks are must-haves. If you passed on the Maniac IQ comp last year, this is a great opportunity to get a copy of 'Cyclic Structures', a standout.