external soundcard for the laptop

hey, there were several topics about soundcards here but i didn't read them all through because the topic was only "soundcard" and a pci-card is out of question with a laptop so i got lazy and decided to place a new question.

do you know any good and cheap / moderately priced external soundcards that would fit my current laptop, which is running Win XP and is a 366MHz PII ThinkPad with 288MB, or the coming one which will probably be a 650MHz P3 ThinkPad with 320MB or more. am also going to get a pc-card with usb 2.0 and FireWire.

so far i've found this one which looks simple and promising but isn't that good-looking. i'd prefer a more simplistic dark or black finish... it would seem to support the AC3-thingie which to me seems i would be able to get a 5.1 sound out of the many compressed video formats if i had a multi-channel amp.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit-main.html

Posted Image

a pci-card is out of question with a laptop so i got lazy and decided to place a new question.

241077[/snapback]

It's not.

Been running a creamware pulsar with my laptop for more than four years now.

Just add one of these sweet little boxes to your setup:

http://www.mobl.com/expansion/pci/1slot/index.html

Posted Image

Then you can run Scope, Protools and RME cards at least.

I guess they work fine with Powercore and UAD-1 as well.

• 1 month later...

okay, thanks! :) that sure looks interesting but still i guess the transit will be my choice. for one - it's probably cheaper, two - it's more compact, three - i won't be making any music (in the near future at least), four - it uses usb (i don't like special cables and connections).

a few days ago thomann.de was selling it for 77e. that's quite a moderate price already, i think.

Or you could try the Audigy 2 NX. Supports 7.1 and digital. It's silver, not black unfortunately. Good card, even for production. Got some great effects and a hardware EQ.

My friend has one - does well. Has ASIO drivers too.

Look at amazon.co.uk if you don't have somewhere to buy hardware for cheap. Or maybe the creative website.

okay thanks to you too! :) those were nice ones as well. read some reviews but still i'm leaning towards the transit! it's small, and simple. digital ins and outs and can forward the AC3 to a multichannel amp which probably is something i will some time have.

a "real" volume control would be nice though.

okay thanks to you too! :) those were nice ones as well. read some reviews but still i'm leaning towards the transit! it's small, and simple. digital ins and outs and can forward the AC3 to a multichannel amp which probably is something i will some time have.

a "real" volume control would be nice though.

256710[/snapback]

creative not trustworthy for production. echo indigo is teh best pc laptop card in its price range and has a hardware volume control. i got the in/out and the dj (two stereo outputs) and itsssss greaaaaaaaatttt.. handles several audio progrms at same time cubase ableton live reason and trktor with no problems .!!!

if i didint had it ifd get it agaain! :lol:

but the Echo hasn't got digital ins or outs. that's a minus in my book.

yet actually i've now refocused myself onto this little gadget:

the HeadRoom BitHead:

Posted Image

it's actually a headhphone amp but also works as an external soundcard connecting to the usb.