Mixing Skillz

I thought it might be interesting to hear how some of you mix your tunes in a set. why not give a point form description of how you do it, perhaps we could all learn something from each other? ill go first...

1) obviously have one tune playing and the other in cue.

2) monitor both (but only have the one playing on the main speakers)

3) beat match them, make sure the pitch is right, then reset the other tune to the beginning.

4) fast forward the other tune to the very first beat (i skip the intro) and cue it right there on the very first beat after the intro.

5)set the equalizer on the 2nd tune. turn the mid totally down. turn the low freq totally down. leave the high freqs normal.

6)towards the end of the 1st tune, wait for the right timing (it goes in 4x4 obviously, but can be as complex as 16x16 or even 32x32, if that makes sense)

7)start the 2nd tune as the beat lands on the 1st part of a 4x4 (or other) section.(crossfader only on the left, playing the first tune through the speakers only)

8)do minor adjustments and get the beats spot on. slowly bring the crossfader toawrds the middle.

9)simultaniously turn the mid equalizer on the 2nd tune up and turn the mid down slowly on the 1st one.

10) wait for the end of a 4x4 section and quickly turn the low freq (bass) of the first tune down and the 2nd tune up. this will change the bassline quickly, but the tune still stays the same.

11) then u usually just let it fade out with the crossfader or slowly kill all the equalizors on the first tune and fade it out that way.

phew...so thats how i usually mix a tune. how do you guys do it???

1, cue the kick. as most music nowadays is 4/4 i always cue the kick on the first beat of these four, in that way the music still runs synchronized after a break or something.

2,kick it in, always on the first of the 4 beat sequence, otherwise read above:)

3,check it, keep it running synchronized for about a minute or 2.

4,while testing look where the breaks are in the track u're about to mix, remember certain events like change in high, change in bass etc...

5,rewind and kick in when the other song is about 2min from end (depends on the track offcourse-with oldskool it's a bit later)

6,turn mid and lo down, and on event from other song fade in (don't use crossfader)

7,put the headphones off, from now on you just have to let the song blend in. I always turn my equalizers on events that i remembered while testing. for example something happens in the hi, you change your lo a bit, etc.

8,don't forget to cancel your lo, otherwise the bass doubles and you don't hear shit no more

7,on a beak, just before one or during, take the other song out

i think most important is mixing in such a way no one notices. depends on the track offcourse

mxing oldskool tracks is more difficult cause they don't resemble that much, the bass is always on a weird rythm and a track ofter stops like 2seconds after the big climax :s

....all what you said is ok i think.....the fun i think comes when you start putting little effects on the mix (Pioneer 500 or 600 , or any other mixer/CD player that has effects)...

....i always try to use flanger or phaser doing "slow" loops i.e. going from 4 to 8 bars... :D

....echo or any other kind of double delay I like very much to use on the hi-hats (open or closed) to give a VeRy VeRy Pumping Feeling....usually at 3/4 beat. ;)

....a little bit of scratching makes a good "end spin" for the track...

....ALWAYS KEEP AN EYE ON THE OUTPUT LEVEL!!!!!! :D

.....paz & amor...* :D

NOOOOOOOOO

no effects!!!

heard the ones on cdj100's tooooo much!!

240923[/snapback]

.....there I have to agree with you "delars"....i had before cdj100's and the amount of effect is REALLY TOO MUCH.... :blink:

....i'm playing with a double CD player from Omnitronic CDP 2400 (take a look at www.omnitronic.com) ....and i have to say that i'm very satisfied with it....ok,it's NOT a SUPER CD Player but it does the job quite good!!!!...

....you can use 2,3 different effects at the same time PLUS control the TIME RATIO & the AMOUNT of effect that you want/need!!!...you can make very subtle mixes with this "gadjet"!!! :D

...paz & amor...*