Basilisk

Have you heard a few tunes from this artist? they're on vaguely progressive compilations usually, and initially blended in... but repeated listenings have brought me to the conclusion that his style has more in common with California Sunshine and old Eye Q material than progressive... heads up old school fans, MAYBE? I'm sort of out to lunch on this still which is why I ask :D

Opinions?

221375[/snapback]

Hadn't heard him before so I dug up "Da Korah" which was very nice with the eastern vibes and all. Very trancey! To me, the very straight 4/4 beat with no shuffle at all (i.e. classic goa trance style) is ideal for trance music, and this has put me off a lot of todays progressive stuff since they all use some degree of shuffle. But oh my, this track might change my stance on this issue entirely!

"Radiance" (original mix) sounds very scando-trancey in a 12 Moons / Human Blue / Atmos kind of way, but with a more club trance styled production. In fact, I think the production is the weak point here, with too much compressor and strange balance between the frequency ranges. It's a nice track and all, but too simple for me.

His remix of LSG - "Netherworld" provides additional doses of club-trancey key-shifting clichés, but he's talanted for sure. (This is on a 12" on JOOF, don't know if it's out on CD yet)

For a fan of hypnotic music such as myself, this is musically more rewarding than pretty much anything in the psy scene of today. The similarities to California Sunshine are certainly there, very well spotted! But I think there's better stuff out there, only that I can't be arsed to go through the bazillions of releases to find a few pearls.

But for one of the most amazing morning trancers of all time, see Moon Project - "Moments Are Forever". Now THAT is quality!