The "Psygressive" thing

Guest L25

FREq, Son Kite...  All the same crap.  Really don't like this kind of trance (is it even trance?), it sounds like progressive house dressed up with some psychadelic sounds...  But then...  I HATE PROGRESSIVE HOUSE!!!  AND 99.9% OF HOUSE MUSIC!!!!

Rather hear some melodic, dark psy trance like Juno, old IM, X-Dream, Xenomorph, old Dark Soho, and the tech-trance stuff (Spirallianz, Delta)

Astral is OK but it can be too mainstream-cheesy for me at times, espeically with their new stuff...  Astral's old stuff was melodic, but still a little too different to be truly 'mainstream-sounding'

And don't even start on the happy hardcore.  Agh!

210914[/snapback]

Actually most progressive house and tribal house is way more similar to old goa and tribal trance than anything released in the oh so cool psy/full on scene today (trancepop)!

Take examples such as Third Eye, Lumukanda, Shaolin Wooden Men, Psychic Warriors Of Gaia and, if I may do some selfpromotion? Elysium, and other similar artists from around 1994-1998 when goa and tribal trance was popular. They have a lot in common with progresive house and some trance...why? Because they also, just as used in prog. house/tribal house, used of lot's of percussion such as wood sounds ect, deep dark basslines (not the rolling ones from full on), very hypnotic repetetive patterns and dusty sounds. Result: trance = to get into a state of trance - Most of todays Psy and Full On certantly do not achieve that BUT repetetive patterns and tribal elements used in progressive DO!!!!!

People should try to learn about the roots of the scene before making comments that are based on individual taste instead of facts. Guess it just takes a bit of history diggin and an open mind - I know for some it's much to ask for ;)

I didn't say I liked most of today's full-on, did I? :) I wouldn't say all the artists I listed as liking were 'full-on', maybe a few are, but they all are sort of different yet fit into a certain mood... I like the old trance, as well, but man... when trance and house mix... with typical ambient/psychadelic flourishes here and there... I get bored. Quickly. FREq, Son Kite? Boring, boring, boring, to me myself and I...

I didn't say I liked most of today's full-on, did I? :)  I wouldn't say all the artists I listed as liking were 'full-on', maybe a few are, but they all are sort of different yet fit into a certain mood...  I like the old trance, as well, but man...  when trance and house mix... with typical ambient/psychadelic flourishes here and there...  I get bored.  Quickly.  FREq, Son Kite? Boring, boring, boring, to me myself and I...

210958[/snapback]

Thats your taste and I respect that. But to say that House is not trance is total wrong. Progressive house/tribal is way more trance (in it's pure sense og putting people into the state of trance while dancing to repetitve beats) than any psy is today.

Actually I have never considered much Goa or psy to be real trance. To get into a state of trance need repetitiveness just as the native Indians did with drumming and other tribes have done for generations. Goa and psy use melodies and that disturb the state of trance. progressive House/tribal and some older tribal trance artists as named in my prior post use/used repetiveness. Now thats real trance!

That's maybe why so many people need drugs to somehow almost reach that state while dancing to "poptrance" ;)

If you ever get the chance to listen to Psychic Warriors Of Gaia's "Exit 23" or older Lumukanda and Shaolin Wooden Men from Australia then you'll know what I am talking about. It almost sound like progressive tribal House sound like today :)

If you ever get the chance to listen to Psychic Warriors Of Gaia's "Exit 23"

Now that's quite possibly the most hypnotic piece of electronic dance music ever created, good call =) I always thought your older elysium stuff (and even that first sheyba 12", to some extent) reminded me of some PWOG...

And yeah, even the early dragonfly stuff (93-94) has much more in common with progressive house than with todays full-on or "night music".

Now that's quite possibly the most hypnotic piece of electronic dance music ever created, good call =) I always thought your older elysium stuff (and even that first sheyba 12", to some extent) reminded me of some PWOG...

And yeah, even the early dragonfly stuff (93-94) has much more in common with progressive house than with todays full-on or "night music".

210962[/snapback]

I can easily say that Exit 23 was a huge reason why i started Elysium. Before that i had a few releases on R&S (Belgium). Still quite tribal but more in the old school sense - like very simple techno kind of trance.

I was blown away by the tribal feel and the deep athmosphere. I had to start create something similar. I soon found out it was easier said than done.. simplicity is hard to obtain and I realized my own style was it for me.

But for me Exit 23 will always be the track that opened up my eyes to tribal and trance