the prodigy

I know that this could be a little off-topic, but I'll try...

Lately I found in my old CD all of The Prodigy albums and I listened to them once again. I must say that I was very surprised, because especially their second album (Music for The Jilted Generation) sounded great after all those years. I know it's not psychedelic trance, but some of the tracks have strong psychedelic elements in them - especially the last three (they are even called "Narcotic Suite" :). I find the same elements in their first album too, but third one sucked arse :( It was made for commercial reasons and all that guitars, "singing", simplier song arangements just was too much for me...

What do you think of The Prodigy and their influence in electronic music? Whatever can be said, I think they made electronic / techno music popular and recognised with "The Fat of The Land" even if I didn't liked it... For me it started with The Prodigy too, but it was the track "Out of Space" that got me into it...

Guest Evilben

Prodigy was one of the first i listened ... so, whatever they're doing now, i still respect & love them :).

And yes, they had many influences, that had given a "big beated" sound, sometimes drum & bass, sometimes techno... anyways, good music ;p

highlights : climbatize, skylined, full throttle...

Guest spirit_dancer

hey...they play a huge role in directing me towards the electronic scene..along with enigma (my first electronic album) and some deep forrest.

Guest ~Jonezz~

yeap.. Didn´t listen nearly anything else when "..gilted generation" was released.. And I still could listen tracks like voodoo people or syanide.. even went to see them live at -96 to "Ilosaari-rock-festivals" here in finland..

Their music is "dance music" in the true sense. That's the way Liam looks at it, and it works pretty good for me : I can't help jumping around when I hear almost any of their song.

I'm especially a big fan of their early productions, and thanks to Audiogalaxy I got all their first singles which I found very good.

They're not great musicians (well, Liam) and never wanted to be looked upon as so, but they're definitely dancefloor killas !

Fav tracks : Pandemonium, G-Force 1, G-Force 2...

And what about : Goa (the heat the energy part 2) ? ;o)

Ultimate Prodigy site : http://www.prodigy.geomax.net/

J.

Guest [tom jaimz]

i used to love the prodigy, but i thought everything from firestarter on was @!#$. liam started to make music for money and he knew it, which is why he hasn't released anything since. for that, i have respect for the man. i still respect him, especially for pandemonium, the last three tracks on jilted, and most of all for his remix of front 242's religion.

Guest moondancer

yeah, great music, but unlike most people, I liked them best with The Prodigy Experience, the Music for the Jilted Generation, and last in my preference is Fat of the Land...

Best tracks:

I'm gonna send you to outerspace

Everybody's in the Place

No Good

Poison

Narayan

And I have huge respect for the way they deliberately turned their career down when they saw that they were too much in the spotlight like a fucking pop group. They released Smack My Bitch Up and no one of their pop fans didn't want to see them again... But a new album would be cool!

"But a new album would be cool !"

"Liam Howlett is working on the next Prodigy album, its working title is Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned. The album is unlikely to come out before late 2001 or 2002, and the only track we know anything about is the collaboration between 3D of Massive Attack and Liam Howlett, currently called No Souvenir.

Basically nothing else is known about the album, only that it's in the workd, and that the release date is uncertain. Many speculations may arise about the date when the album finally reaches the fans, but they are mostly pointless - Liam will release the album when he feels it's finished, and no one can tell when that will be.

Maxim has explained in an interview why they felt the need to take such a long break. ”On the whole, we just needed to take a break for a while and chill out. We’d been going for nine years without stopping and we needed to chill a bit. Instead of playing another Reading, another Glastonbury, with people getting fed up with us, we thought we should take a break and not exactly re-invent ourselves but find a different vibe we could use. If we were stupid and naive we could be playing now, but before we knew it we’d have damaged ourselves and become exhausted.”

Source : geomax.

J.

i LOVE the band! a couple of years ago they were all that i listened to.. i still have all their albums and almost all the singles (the earliest ones are really hard to get).. i agree that the third album was a bit too commercial, but i still liked it. my absolute favourite is Music for the jilted generation, which is maybe one of the best electronic albums ever released IMO .. tracks like "break & enter", "full throttle", "voodoo people", and "no good" are still great.. but my all-time favourite is the track called "rhythm of life" which is on the "one love" single.. it's soooo good track!! experience was good too, but some of the tracks were a bit "childish".. but "out of space" was very good .. and the best fucking track on that album was of course "weather experience" which is truly an experience :)

btw Jeff, that geomax site is really cool, i visited it every day a couple of years ago :)

Guest Eshanti Brahman

I have to give credit to The Prodigy for making me listen to electronica in the first place. I remember I saw the "Voodo Child" first time and listened to "Out of Space".

I think "...Jilted Generation" is better than "Fat of the land" although the last one may have more obvious mass-appeal. "..Jilted Generation" is so full of joy and energy and a mix of basically anything that was around at that time mixing all music styles. If Liam decided to make psychedelic trance,I bet my ass that he would have been very succesful.Even if The Prodigy sometimes is regarded as a "dancegroup" with instruments,their music used to be diverse and megacool. Something about the sound,melodies.......beautiful melodies and cool beats. Listen to the drums on "Poison". I know when people may smell a bit acid/goa influences in their earlier music. They basically grew up from the acid/rave scene.

Liams's "Dirtchamber" cd was ok and Maxims "Hells Kitchen" was ok....so I am really looking forward to hearing their album.

Thanks.

Guest Slidingtrancer

I'm still trying to imitate the cool moves in ' Out of Space' and ' No Good', they are legends to me. I hope their album is what I'm hoping for, because fat of the land leaves to be desired IMHO. They were amongst the pioneers of GOOD house music back then... I love em

Guest Philip C.

Ah, the old Prodigy. One of the first really bands that got me to listen to techno... then I started to listen to The Chemical Brothers... and then later on Goa. Still listen to them once in a while, and the energy is still there! :D

Guest space^madness

prodigy was my first introduction to commercial electronical music (before that i listened .mod/.xm/.s3m, etc etc etc)

poison is still one of my all-time favourite tracks! damn it's amazing

Guest AtomicCow

Liam Howlett is not a great musician???? He can wipe the floor with 95% of psy artists out there. How many tracks can you name that sound like "Breathe"?? And the Experience album, even though it's considered a rave classic, doesn't really sound like anything from that time (or since). Too bad he hates the early stuff he wrote. And it really has @!#$ all to do with goa/psy.

btw, the drums in "poison" are sampled from a funk song Skull Snaps - It's a new Day.

Just to say that almost all electronic music which sounds in Southern Spain is strongly influenced by Prodigy...They were like prophets here; even for look-fashion of many guys.

Guest vasyachkin

Prodigy introduced me to electronic;

then i listened to Orbital, then Crystal Method, then Astral Projection, that was a point of no return :)))

by the way, i also think Experience may be their best cd :)))

heh i recognize myself a lot in your description vasyachkin....

although Orbital is still one of my all-time-favorite bands, crystal meth was just a stepping stone to the more trancy and eventually the point of no return like u say it ;)

Guest spacemonkey - 604

i really like their music it is what got me started into this kind of stuff!!!

But they really disappointed me when i saw them live last september......they just put on a CD and showed some arrogant moves.....okay the music is still great, but they are not going for the music anymore...................i can't blame them, but don't expect me to buy their new stuff if it comes out.

• 4 years later...